gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

You can't have a month focused on DC villains and not have the Joker around. We may not know the current status of the Joker in the New 52 but this issue gives us a chance to journey back to an earlier time in his career.

Andy Kubert makes a bold decision (assuming it his and not editorial's) and shows us some scenes from Joker's childhood. If these books are supposed to focus on the villains, seeing their story makes sense. It's interesting, but being it's about the Joker, is it something we can fully believe?

Andy Clarke is on hand for the art. It's been great seeing Clarke doing some of the backups in this series and we finally get to see him do a full issue. Everyone seems to have a different take on Joker and it's fascinating to see how he approaches the character. Whereas the Joker can sometimes be a two-dimensional character, Clarke actually manages to give us some expressions other than the usual borderline insanity we always see. That almost makes his depiction scarier than others we've seen.

The Bad

Joker wants to start a family. We see a flashback story where he takes a baby gorilla from the zoo and "raises" him to be a partner in crime. It is a pretty wacky thing, something Joker would be capable of.

What it comes down to is we don't need to see Joker's origin. It's possible this is just a fractured memory, similar to the possibility in THE KILLING JOKE. I don't want or need to be sympathetic with Joker. He's a pure villain, that's all I need from him. Am I supposed to feel bad that he might have had a torturous childhood? No thanks.

This story doesn't really add much to Joker's mythos either. When all the Villains Month issues are raised in price due to the special covers. Even at the regular price, it's an okay story with some good art.

The Verdict

This is going to be a tricky month when it comes to the Villains Month titles. Many of the titles feature origins or flashback stories. It makes perfect sense the first BATMAN villains book would focus on Joker. The problem is, you don't really feel this story adds a lot to his character. We don't need or want to see Joker's childhood, if the flashback scenes can even be trusted. Joker with a gorilla is a fascinating idea but it just didn't feel crucial in any way. What bumped up my enjoyment for this issue was seeing Andy Clarke's art for an entire issue rather than just a backup story.

It's possible the wacky and...odd nature of the story was intentional because we're talking about the Joker. Maybe I'm missing the point. With so many Villains Month titles fighting for our dollars this month, this was a little disappointing.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Saren

And yeah, I don't understand where the current fascination writers have regarding a definite origin for the Joker comes from. This wasn't even a good origin, it was just a generic I'm-evil-because-of-my-hard-knock-childhood story.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey! Since when does DC do .1 issues?

ajshadowhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

Read it. Hated it really. I have no idea what's going on.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By kennybaese

@butters911 said:

Hey! Since when does DC do .1 issues?

Just this month. They're doing four issues instead of one for villains month.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Super bummed to hear that this issue tries to make an "origin" for Joker. I definately think he should just be who he is and that the comics shouldn't delve into his past. I think it's one of the reasons I don't care too much for The Killing Joke's backstory stuff. The Joker is the Joker, nothing more.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By The Mast

I'm just not gonna read it.

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty disappointing. I'm going to check it out but it's kind of a bummer that it didn't get a good review.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: isnt the monkey from 666 universe ?

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I really wish this issue had somehow teased at his return or shown what he did during his year long absence or where he went after the end of Death of the Family. This just felt like a oneshot they told because they needed something for a Joker villains month book because you can't not have one

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the special cover gives it a +1 on the rating, but that would apply to almost any other comic book so..meh. I fully agree though, the Joker shouldn't have a so called "backstory" or "origin".

For me, the fact that we know almost nothing about Joker's past and that he's such a messed up freak who constantly challenges Batman is the reason why I LOVE him. Doing a backstory/origin just messes that up for me, personally.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Well My shop didnt have Joker 23.1 so it's a good thing I didnt waste $ on this.

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't view this as an "origin". Truth be told, I'm glad they didn't tell us where Joker is or what he's plotting to be wasted on a one-shot month theme.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mucklefluga

I was also quite disappointed when i got home and read this, the art is still great tho.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By saoakden

Hmm interesting.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blackdog2009

Great art. Terrible story.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was gonna pick this up because I'm an Andy Clarke fan, but this sounds stupid. Oh well there's $4 I can put towards something else.

Booster_Bronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Booster_Bronze

I'm usually a details-oriented type person, and whenever I see a character, I almost NEED to see their origin. The ONLY exception I have to this rule is The Joker. I accept his "multiple choice" origin because it fits so well with his insanity. I kind of get some of Kubert's throwbacks to the past and how it affects who Joker becomes (such as the bleached skin and the lipstick around his Aunt's mouth), but I prefer the origin-less Joker model myself.

I also found the story ridiculous, but not in a good Joker kind of way. Seeing a Gorilla dressed up as a commando was just stupid.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why wasn't this up until after I bought comics today?!?!?! Now I bought a crap comic apparently! I should have gotten the Justice League or JLA one

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wilbertus

I was really excited about this one, as Joker is one of my favourite villains. I am disappointed to read this review, but happy to read it before I went to my comics shop.

I find it interesting how everyone does away with the idea of a Joker origin so easily. Nearly every villain (at least Batman villains, I may not know too much about others) has an interesting origin story that fits the character and that makes the character that much more interesting.

I, for one, really like origin stories and their retelling. For example, I really enjoyed Scott Snyder's version of Mr Freeze. To me, origin stories are never definite (like nothing really is in comics) so I don't mind if writers tweak them or even completely reinvent them. It is just an interpretation and better to try and come up with something fresh and interesting with the possibility of creating a masterpiece or producing absolute garbage, than to stick with one idea for decades.

Thus, I don't mind if they write an origin story for the Joker. I enjoy Joker's origin stories, also because they are so diverse and because people seem to emphasize the fact that an origin story is only a certain interpretation much more for the Joker than for many other characters. As Joker once said himself: "If I am going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice."

Hence, I am fine with them doing a Joker origin story and I won't throw it out just because it is that. However, the story itself needs to be solid, creative and entertaining. So the fact that it is an origin story also doesn't mean that I automatically approve of it.

What I get from the review is that the main flaw is the fact that they attempted to create a new origin for the Joker, not that the story itself is bad. Is the story really that bad?

Maybe I should just read it and judge for myself.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was funny.

Bloxxeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Snyder write this?

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloxxeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloxxeh: im right now wondering if this is batman 666 universe where Damian become batman cause this writer will be doing mini series about it also the gorilla is from that universe as well

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wonder why you thought that the flashback was a definite origin.......any Joker flashback is just a symptom of Joker's psychosis. TKJ was composed of Joker flashbacks. Does that make it a definite origin?

Avatar image for fabo_puertorican
    fabo_puertorican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was just plain boring. For some reason I knew it was going to be, but I ignored my instinct and bought it just because it was The Joker. Boy, what a waste of 3.99. Hopefully, Kubert does a better job in Damian's story.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That's disappointing. I'm still buying it, though...cause it's The Joker.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lifeofvibe
    Vaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaccine

The origins of the villains that I have read so far have been really....meh. Joker's story was kinda disappointing. I expected something more. Maybe it was just me and my ridiculous high expectations for Villain's month.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was not the best comic book written, it was pretty bad actually. Andy Kubert needs to stick to pencils and leave the writing up to someone else.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a fairly good issue. The flash backs didn't come off to much like an origin rather a day or two of jokers past. Plus the wackiness is great.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one disappointed with this. The art is solid but that's about it, 2/5 for me. When I finished this, the only thing I could think of was, wow, what a waisted opportunity to write a good Joker one-shot.

tomtomiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I am really bummed to hear this sucked. I even had my shop pull a 3D cover for me. Maybe I should have them put it back :/

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Picked it up just for cover. Wasn't very good

Angelo2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mulder15 said:

I really wonder why you thought that the flashback was a definite origin.......any Joker flashback is just a symptom of Joker's psychosis. TKJ was composed of Joker flashbacks. Does that make it a definite origin?

That's exactly how I saw it. The "flashbacks" reminded me of The Joker's "origins" in The Dark Knight when he asked people "Do you want to know how I get these scars?" and gave completely different stories. This was pretty much similar to that and he created his own flashbacks to fit his insanity and the inspiration for his next crime spree.

Angelo2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Angelo2113

I'm surprised many are taking The Joker's "origin story" seriously, especially when it's coming from him. He's the freaking Joker. I think the only concrete evidence that we have of his origin in the New 52 is when he falls into the A.C.E. chemicals.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mulder15: Not sure if this question was to me/the review or in general. I did mention twice that whether or not there was any validity to the "memories" was in question. Bottom line, for me, it wasn't an interesting story. Not worth $3.99 or even the $2.99. It's a wacky enough scenario. Just not something I needed to read when there are so many other better comics out this week. I just really liked Clarke's art.

weenman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

terrible origin for Jackanapes

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue sucked if I want an origin story for joker id reread killing joke not this garbage 1/5 stars

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mulder15

@g_man: For a Joker story it works. It's nice to see Joker as how he should be rather then how he was in Death of the Family.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wilbertus

Ok, so I went out to buy and read it today. I don't know if it is because everyone is so negative on here and my expectations dropped substantially, but I actually really liked this comic.

I feel like it entirely depends on what you are expecting. If you are looking for a dark and realistic Joker, then you will be very disappointed. If you are looking for a whacky Joker story that is fun, quick and easy, then this is a great comic!

Read my review for a more elaborated version.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

garbage. waste of good paper.

KingSciarrillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was interesting, to say the least. The art was amazing though.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was quite surprised with this issue, as with The Joker being generally regarded as Batmans main villain, I would have expected his villain issue to be something brilliant, but for me, it's not.

The story seemed a little too "wacky" even for The Joker, came across as kind of pointless, and in contrast to what some other peoples opinions, I wasn't really that impressed with the art. I've read a couple of issues with Andy Clarkes art that looked better than this to me, though I can't say I'm a fan of them either.

Realistically, I'd probably have to give it 2/5.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read this issue last night. Not that much interesting. I did a little bit bored reading it.

JaelBaez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like this issue, but I hardly think this re-writes anything, so I don't think people should be freaking out. This doesn't actually replace Joker's origin, it just adds unnecessary details. So yeah, he lived in a super abusive home...it could just be one of many things that happened before he fell into the vat of chemicals (actual origin) and became the Clown Prince of Crime we all know and love. I thought the thing about his aunt scrubbing his face with bleach was more foreshadowing and allusion than anything else. But let's say this is actually the entirety of his new origin (which I see NO reason for believing this), let's remember that this is the Joker narrating all of it, and we all know he is arguably comic's most unreliable narrator. So to all my fellow comic book lovers afraid that this is 100% of the new origin...fear not, the issue never made it clear that this DIRECTLY turned him into the Joker. I think the point was just to offer us a glimpse at his childhood (a badly written glimpse IMHO). I didn't like this issue because of how unnecessary it was. I mainly found it unnecessary because the issue juxtaposed this glimpse into his past with that ridiculous (IMHO) Jackanapes story set in the present day. I just didn't care.

kaiklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only good part was turning the comic over to see an Arkham Origins ad in 3d so thats cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.