Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why The New Mr Freeze Works

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

Mr. Freeze used to be someone you felt sympathy for, someone that really didn't belong in Arkham. That's why i've always had a problem with him. He doesn't belong alongside The Joker, or Two-Face. What Snyder did with him puts them in their insanity league, makes belong in Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane. He thinks a woman he has never met is his wife, he murdered his mother... This new Mr. Freeze works much better in the Batman Rouge Gallery.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RoboShark

Definitely agree with the crazy part.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonSmith

What exactly IS the new Mister Freeze's tale?

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Duke_Nasty

I see your point. However thats kinda what made him different than the others was that he wasn't a bad guy and he was just tryign to save his wife.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RedOwl_1

I'm maybe too tough.........but instead empathy I found that ridiculous and humiliating for him, there were too many ways to save her wife...... he just took the obvious options instead try harder or go therapy........

I'm not that rough always but seems I can't find empathy for him or any comic book villains...... maybe except movie's Sandman.......

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By RoboShark

@JonSmith said:

Snyder's Freeze killed his mother, and never actually met his "Wife." Just studied her.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonSmith

@RoboShark: How'd he get his powers then? Or are we back to the good ol' normal crazy dude with a freeze ray?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SoA

i like this new origin /realization . it fits well

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

I liked that he was different from the others, don't get me wrong the new origin was excellently written and executed but it makes him just another face in the crowd, it isn't as good

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tyler Starke

@RoboShark said:

@JonSmith said:

Snyder's Freeze killed his mother, and never actually met his "Wife." Just studied her.

also this woman who he claims is his wife was frozen for twenty thirty years or something, He did his thesis on her in college and became obsessed @JonSmith said:

@RoboShark: How'd he get his powers then? Or are we back to the good ol' normal crazy dude with a freeze ray?

He had some sciencey crazy malfunction accident involving freezing and science lol, the cool part is his eyes remained normal, so he has to wear the sweet ass red goggles to keep them warm while the rest of his body needs to be all icey

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

@Tyler Starke said:

He had some sciencey crazy malfunction accident involving freezing and science lol, the cool part is his eyes remained normal, so he has to wear the sweet ass red goggles to keep them warm while the rest of his body needs to be all icey

Well. Guess that gives a new meaning to heat vision.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I felt that the new twist with Nora was very interesting and added a new feeling of "creepy" to Freeze's character.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Rumble Man

Prefer this one, but the new one has time to improve

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KingofMadCows

The new origin is uninspired and just plain lazy.

I think they just did it so that they can use Mr. Freeze more. With the TAS origin, writers actually had to think of an interesting way or create some kind of incentive to put Mr. Freeze in a story. Now, Mr. Freeze can show up anytime they want since he no longer needs a good motivation for doing anything because he's just insane.

Also, just because Mr. Freeze was a sympathetic character does not mean that he didn't deserve to be in Arkham. He's still a sociopath with no emotions or compassion for human beings and willing to kill to achieve his goals. Plus TAS made almost every villain more sympathetic. Look at all the episodes about Batman trying to redeem Two-Face and the New Batman Adventures episode with Ventriloquist where it's implied that he had a happy ending.

The twist in the new origin was just put in there for shock value. A good twist actually has clues and hints in the story that build up to it like in "Psycho" or "The Usual Suspects" or "The Sixth Sense," where you can actually look back through the story and pick up on all the little things that connect together to reveal the surprise. With this, they didn't even bother to put any clues about the twist. I wouldn't even be surprised if they thought up of the twist at the last minute and just didn't have time to put in any clues.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SupBatz

I like both origins. And as of right now I am a fan of the new one. It really depends on how it is used in future comics whether or not I continue to like it. I think Snyder set it up very well here and that, if used properly in the future, Freeze can still remain a sympathetic character and also a creepy sociopathic villain.

@KingofMadCows said:

The twist in the new origin was just put in there for shock value. A good twist actually has clues and hints in the story that build up to it like in "Psycho" or "The Usual Suspects" or "The Sixth Sense," where you can actually look back through the story and pick up on all the little things that connect together to reveal the surprise. With this, they didn't even bother to put any clues about the twist. I wouldn't even be surprised if they thought up of the twist at the last minute and just didn't have time to put in any clues.

Well, there was the way that Bruce was treating Freeze in the flashback. I remember that when I was reading I was very confused at why Bruce was being such a jerk to a guy who was trying to save his wife. Then when the big reveal came I went back to re-read and found that everything made sense.

@KingofMadCows said:

I think they just did it so that they can use Mr. Freeze more. With the TAS origin, writers actually had to think of an interesting way or create some kind of incentive to put Mr. Freeze in a story. Now, Mr. Freeze can show up anytime they want since he no longer needs a good motivation for doing anything because he's just insane.

While this is possible, I think it's only fair to reserve judgment until this sort of thing actually happens. It's also quite possible that nothing will change with Freeze and he'll still only appear when his obsession with curing his "not-so-wife" is involved.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KingofMadCows

@SupBatz:

Well, there was the way that Bruce was treating Freeze in the flashback. I remember that when I was reading I was very confused at why Bruce was being such a jerk to a guy who was trying to save his wife. Then when the big reveal came I went back to re-read and found that everything made sense.

Except Bruce wasn't being a jerk because it was obvious that they had changed Mr. Freeze's experiment with Nora at that point. In TAS, Freeze was trying keep Nora in cryostasis and Boyle was a heartless bastard because he wanted the whole thing shut down, which would have killed Nora. In this origin, they changed it so that Nora was already frozen and that Mr. Freeze wanted to defrost her to cure her disease. Bruce stopping Freeze does nothing to harm Nora, she'll just remain in stasis longer. When I read that part, I just thought that in this new origin, Nora had accepted her fate and wanted to die but Freeze went against her wishes and put her in stasis anyway.

Plus when you think about it, the story doesn't really make that much sense. The whole reason why Nora and the other people in cryostais wanted to be frozen is because they suffered from some kind of incurable condition and that they wanted to be thawed out when a cure is found. So now that they have cures for some of these conditions, Bruce is against researching a way to thaw these people out? That really makes Bruce seem like a douchebag, especially considering how it's kind of implied that the reason why Bruce doesn't want to research a way to unfreeze them is because he just wants frozen people to study.

The whole Nora not being able to consent to being unfrozen makes no sense either. As mentioned before, the whole point of being frozen is so that she could be thawed out when there's a cure. She must have signed a contract to that effect. Either that or she gave that power to her relatives. Now that there is a cure for her condition, either it should be legal to unfreeze her or Freeze could simply obtain permission from one of her living relatives.

It also makes no sense for Freeze to use Nora as his first test subject. Remember, Nora is safe as long as she remains in stasis. The danger is in unfreezing her since that process hasn't been tested. So why doesn't Freeze test his method on some other subjects before trying it on Nora? If everything he does is for her then why is he taking so many unnecessary risks?

Not to mention the fact that Batman actually used Nora as bait for Freeze. That was just dumb and very un-Batman. Why use the real Nora and put her in danger of the fight when he could have easily used a decoy?

While this is possible, I think it's only fair to reserve judgment until this sort of thing actually happens. It's also quite possible that nothing will change with Freeze and he'll still only appear when his obsession with curing his "not-so-wife" is involved.

Well, they already have a cure for Nora. But Bruce is being a jerk for not letting his scientists research a way to unfreeze her.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tha mian problem with him was the fact, Batman had no real reason to feud against him, he was a Batman villain just for the fact he lived on Gotham, he could be any one else villain, Batmans villains have a reason to feud against Batman or a reason to get back to Gotham with Freeze i just dont feel that.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By KainScion

now he is just a crazy guy with a freeze ray. lazy writing. thanks snyder.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KingofMadCows

Here's two other things that made no sense in the confrontation between Bruce and Fries.

What exactly was Fries planning to do after he thawed out Nora? She still needed heart surgery. Was Fries going to perform the surgery himself? Is he a heart surgeon too now? It didn't look like he had any equipment prepared. Was he going to take Nora out of the Wayne building and drive her to a hospital? Transporting a terminally ill person who had just been unfrozen doesn't seem like a good idea. Again, it would have made so much more sense for Fries to do this legally since Nora could have been moved to a hospital and with a team of surgeons ready to operate on her as soon as she was thawed out.

And why did Bruce confront Fries in the lab? Why not just lock Fries out of the lab or arrest him when he's just coming into work? Why confront a mentally unstable man in a room full of dangerous chemicals and highly sensitive equipment? Again, they're just creating a false sense of urgency to create drama where none exists.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By jrock85

@BlackArmor said:

I liked that he was different from the others, don't get me wrong the new origin was excellently written and executed but it makes him just another face in the crowd, it isn't as good

Pretty much how I feel.

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By zexion_armando

Also, I believe it was said that Arkham is the only prison like place that could support Fries' unique condition.

Blackwater either would't have the space or the tech to maintain the habitat to keep Fries alive and contained for therapy.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WrenchNinja

He's a completely boring generic crazy person now. He did not need a revamp, it was nice to have at least one sympathetic villain.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alexander505

In my opinion, the "new" Mr. Freeze is great.

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds like the most boring retcon ever. What's the point of adding another villain with the exact same characteristics as the old ones? Mr Freeze was awesome to me BECAUSE of the reasons you listed why you didn't like him.

King001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By King001

@ImTheDamnBatman: what's the point of making the villan's like the rest? the diversity of villain's is what makes batman and sets it apart from the rest. What Paul DIni did with Mr. Freeze is a masterpiece that got washed away; same with harley Quinn. Just that little tweak to making Nora not his wife anymore made Freeze into just another looney.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

As CannotSpellMyNameSaid, what's the point of making a whole new universe if you don't change some characters? For all we know, Snyder could make Clayface the new sympathetic villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.