Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23633 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What If? IF You Remove Snyder or Capullo, Which would have a better chance of Success on BATMAN?

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

So I recently read an article that told of the early communication issues and learning to blend styles together in the early stages of the Snyder/Capullo Batman run.

Snyder would be very wordy in his scripts, Capello would just want to 'important stuff" to which Snyder would say, it's all important. So with any good team, there needs to be a growth period were both parties would need to get used to each other. And in this case they did and the results have been fantastic

So I was wondering, say they never did mesh..and one had to leave. So after the YEAR ONE arc was finished, they decided to go their separate ways, and if you had to keep one, who would have the best chance of producing a quality book each month?

1) SNYDER, often times creators leave together, so there really isn't a chance to keep the same vibe going, it is as they say A new direction. But if Snyder would stay on board, chances are pretty good the stories would still be the same, but obviously visually different. but you would have essentially the entire run to still be played out with some tweaks here and there based on how well the artist could convey what Snyder was writing.

2) CAPULLO, if he was the one to remain, you would still have the amazing visuals and as such, the book would look the same, just the tales within would be different. Would that be enough to keep your interest if the stories sent Batman in a different path?

I thought this to be a hard choice, as we have seen examples of success of the writer staying with Geoff Johns and the switch with Ivan Reis and Jason Fabok on Justice League, however I am drawing a blank on coming up with a example with an artist staying on while the writer is removed..

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kcomicfan

I would keep Snyder.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mrfuzzynutz: Well if a writter is good, the story is there and even with mediocre art, the book would stay a good read.

If the writter bets on the art to make his story live, they must work well in harmony and it's hard to modify that team, like Jeph Loeb and Time Sale for exemple. Jeph Loeb with some-one else (Jim Lee for exemple), doesn't work as seen on Hush. Yes Hush's storyline is badly constructed.

For me the core of a book is the story. No matter the art (sorry for the artist), if the scenario is bad, nothing can make it a good story.

Greg Capullo's art is a little cartoonish, but I don't mind personnally. Scott Snyder's scenarios are quite poor (at least since Death of the familly). So you can guess that without Snyder, it probably would still work, but without Capullo we can't really tell.

I would keep Snyder.

I wouldn't. But that's not the topic to discuss why Snyder is not the best.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think that they fit each other, The type of art that Capullo makes really fits Snyder's Batman.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jb681131: You're right, this thread is not about how Snyder is a really good Batman writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.