Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Under the red hood or mask of the phantasm

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zachattack1239

which one do you prefer?
    Redbullet685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Redbullet685

Mask of the Phantasm. How about you, OP?

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Green Skin

Under the Red Hood

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Roldan

Mask of the Phantasm but Under the Red Hood came pretty close to taking that spot.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Bestostero

These two movies are easily my favorite Batman movies of all time, better than any live action/animated/etc movie lol

Right now, I'm leaning more towards Mask of the Phantasm, but these two are top notch. I'm betting the upcoming animated Batman Year One will be just as amazing if not better though...

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sj_esposito

Under the Red Hood, definitely. Not saying Mask of the Phantasm isn't amazing, though.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Primmaster64
    @sEsposito7 said:
    Under the Red Hood, definitely. Not saying Mask of the Phantasm isn't amazing, though.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MrUnknown

Mask of the Phantasm easily.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rudyftw

Under the Red Hood got me into Batman comics.  

Was I the only one who thought Mask of the Phantasm was kind of.... boring?

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MuadDiab

I'm shocking myself with this answer but, I think Red Hood is a better movie.  
     Reasons:
    lots more action I suppose. 
    Mask is great and fantastic the first time, but it's a crime/mystery film. so second viewings aren't the same. Red hood is a delight to watch again and again

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zachattack1239

great opinions. I think im leading more towards under the red hood though... mask of the phantasm is still amazing though 

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Jotham

I'd have to go with Under the Red Hood.

Pauldro952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13  Edited By Pauldro952

Mask of the Phantasm is a great Joker and Bruce origin story

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Caligula

Red Hood by a mile

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

MOTP.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Samimista

Under The Red Hood

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TerrellV13

Under the Red Hood, it's more dark and gritty and dramatic like the comics.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Feliciano2040

Under The Red Hood alone destroys any animated comic book film.

Now against Mask Of The Phantasm ? Tough, but it even defeats that classic.

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By batflasharrow96

They can't be compared. They are much different. Mask of the Phantasm is THE best batman film ever made. Under the Red Hood is good, but really?

Blob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blob

Close one gotta go with Under the Red Hood.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96 said:
    They can't be compared. They are much different. Mask of the Phantasm is THE best batman film ever made. Under the Red Hood is good, but really?
    You're confusing it with The Dark Knight.
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: Yeah right. The Dark Knight is a very good stand alone film from it's franchise. But it isn't the greatest Batman film out there. There's a difference. Mask of the Phantasm gets every part of Batman and every part it gets, it gets perfectly. I don't see the the detective in the Nolan films.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96: Out of all the Batman films it is probably Mask Of The Phantasm the one that best gets the Batman mythos.

But would you really say getting the mythos is all there is to a good Batman film ?
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: What i'm saying is that that is essential and no live action movie has done it right yet.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96: True, hopefully whoever Nolan's succesor is will focus on taking advantage of Batman's fantastic mythos.

Until then, Under The Red Hood kicked Mask Of The Phantasm's butt !
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Under The Red Hood, but Mask Of The Phantasm still stays in my heart.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
    Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under The Red Hood. I found mask of the phantasm pretty dull tbh.

Sasuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Sasuke
    @MuadDiab said:
    I'm shocking myself with this answer but, I think Red Hood is a better movie.  
     Reasons:lots more action I suppose. Mask is great and fantastic the first time, but it's a crime/mystery film. so second viewings aren't the same. Red hood is a delight to watch again and again

I feel the exact same way
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Billy Batson
    @xhavoc86 said:
    These two movies are easily my favorite Batman movies of all time, better than any live action/animated/etc movie lol  Right now, I'm leaning more towards Mask of the Phantasm, but these two are top notch. I'm betting the upcoming animated Batman Year One will be just as amazing if not better though...

I lol'ed. 

BB

batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: It's okay to prefer it but if you really think it's a better film, i'm afraid you're wrong. And as well as that, Mask of the Phantasm was original.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96: Why am I wrong ? Because you say so ? Learn some better criteria to judge your movies friend, Under The Red Hood was better written, better animated, had superior voice acting, better action scenes, had far better characterization and and more powerful emotional resonance, getting the mythos right only gets you so far.
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: Calm down! Criteria? Prove how it's better written. Prove how it's better animated. Prove how it has better voice acting. Prove how it has better characterization and emotional resonance. I never said it only has the mythos. I said that it is one of the only ones that does get it perfectly. 
                             Mask of the Phantasm reminds me how much of a fantastic character Batman is. Under the Red Hood is good, but it doesn't have a strong atmosphere. It feels unpopulated and empty while Mask of the Phantasm gets Gotham perfectly and feels just a small bit exaggerated, intentionally. Under the Red Hood was not better written because it wasn't original. It also had a lot of forced dialogue and a lot sounded cheesy. Mask of the Phantasm gets everyone perfectly. Everything sounds smooth and sounds like it's something the given character would say. The plot was original for it's time and it had a a great mystery. As well as that, it has an excellent situation of Batman not wanting to fight crime for a living and settle down with the woman he loves. He shows that he really is willing to overcome his parents' death and truly move on by living peacefully. In Under the Red Hood whether you new who Red Hood was from the comics or not, it is pretty obvious who it is. There is no reason to have all those flashbacks without connecting to the mystery. Also, a very important part is that Bruce Wayne is actually used and used very well and correct in MOTP. It still feels natural and differentiated to the the fake Bruce Wayne. It also gets Batman's determination and strong will just right and can show anyone new to the character just what he's about. In Under The Red Hood, you already have to understand the character well to appreciate it more. Also we can't forget about the common criminal thug educating one another on who's who in the Batman family with shared identities. I'm going too far with the writing part, but I don't think it's any surprise that the writing is superior in MOTP.  
                           The animation in Under the Hood had no sense of identity and was good but not unique or stylized. Especially those horrible CG chases. In MOTP  the animation was completely unique, had it's own style and identity and felt like Gotham City. In Under the Hood the city didn't feel like it had a strong atmosphere. It could easily be mistaken with an amalgalm of New York and Chicago. As well as that it felt dark. Not TOO dark but just the right feel. It felt like it was infested with crime and bad people. It felt like the Bronze Age Denny O Neill Batman. Under the Red Hood felt too bright.  
                             The voice acting. The voice acting was good in Under the Red Hood. Just good. Batman was good but had hardly any emotion. I know Batman has difficulty expressing emotion as a character but you'd feel his emotions through his voice. In this he is just angry. When he sees Jason again he doesn't have anything to show for it. In the flashback scenes he sounds like he's pretending to be happy and sounds like the fake Bruce Wayne. Jensen Ackles I didn't like. All of his dialogue felt really stiff and forced. He didn't feel like Jason Todd (which adds bad to the writing). Everything he said sounded the same with the same emotion. He felt too bland and dull. Black Mask was good but felt a little exaggerated but i'll let that go because he's..well.... crazy! Everyone else did a decent job. I liked John DiMaggio's Joker. Mask of the Phantasm's voice acting was fantastic. Batman sounded perfect and his emotions were expertly executed. Every scene where Batman is in a somewhat state of depression, you really, really feel for him. He sounds really down and sounds like he is holding in his tears. That is rarely done without sounding weird or being a failure. Kevin Conroy can also differentiate between the young, inexperienced, Bruce Wayne who really isn't completely aware of the state of the city, or at least through his eyes. He sounds much happier and younger than the Bruce Wayne in present time during the movie. His inner struggle is really felt through his voice while trying to find a solution to how he is going to live his life from then on. Kevin Conroy is excellent at voice acting and really knows how to sound frustrated which is an important factor in this film. The Joker. Hands down, i'm saying it, my favorite voice acting performance I have ever heard was Mark Hamill's Joker in this film. I really don't need to explain how powerful it was. I doubt you disagree how great that performance is so lets move on. Andrea Beaumont's voice felt perfect. It felt like someone who was a strong female who didn't need Batman. She just loved him deeply and so did he.. Their chemistry is fantastic. They have a mutual curiosity with one another which is very important considering who they are and it doesn't feel one bit forced.  
                      Action scenes. If you're really questioning me about movie criteria you really shouldn't use action scenes as an excuse. BMOTP isn't an action movie. It is a drama/mystery and that is exactly what it achieves. I really am not arguing because half of UTRH was action and that's not what you should look for in film criteria. UTRH was more action packed but for different reasons. 
                        For the characterizations I basically explained above how MOTP is superior and saying that UTRH is far superior is ridiculous. Same goes for emotional resonance. Mask of the Phantasm is a masterpiece especially considering that area. With the mythos. The mythos should be contained in every feature of a batman film and UTRH just doesn't have it. Simple as. I already explained how essential it is.  
                        Is that good enough for movie criteria? Yeah.... Okay. Now you're going to think i'm an ass or something but really. With MOTP, if you look into it it's just simply a far better film. I'm saying this because you can enjoy it much more. Do I dislike or think under the red hood is bad? No I don't. I actually like it a lot but it's not comparable to MOTP. Please do not take this negatively. I was just defending one of my favorite films.
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: Long enough?
    cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cdeoleo

Under The Red Hood, just for the fact that it is so closely related to the comics while MOTP was more an animated universe thing. MOTP is still awesome though!

batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: Oh and how could I forget the brilliant soundtrack. Never in my entire life have I felt this emersed into Gotham City like I did in this film. I have never enjoyed a soundtrack before like I did here. It is ridiculously powerful and suits the mythos (YES, THE MYTHOS IS ESSENTIAL TO MAKING A GOOD BATMAN FILM) to no end. 
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96: All nonsense, Under The Red Hood is STILL the betterfilm ;-D !
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: "Learn some better criteria to judge your movies friend...." You're just trying to annoy me now.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @batflasharrow96: At that time I was talking seriously, but since you revealed you have quite an attitude I just decided playing silly.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Under The Red Hood. Mask of The Phantasm was all right but UTRH was better.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By ReVamp
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    Under The Red Hood. Mask of The Phantasm was all right but UTRH was better.
    Couldn't have put it better.
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Feliciano2040: What do you mean?
    Transmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Transmetal

Under the Red Hood

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.