Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Scott Snyder's batman vs Grant Morrison's batman

• 154 results
    lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Really love both of them...

Though Morrison has written some really sub-par stuff for me (Return of Bruce Wayne especially imo)

But then again Snyder has to force annoying characters he created into these stories like Duke and Harper. Plus he doesn't chill with the annoying symbolism, metaphors, and over the top exposition.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like both.

They both have their own spin on writing Batman.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like both for different reasons.

I prefer Snyder's overall storytelling, but Morrison's characterization of Bruce/Batman.

wingman542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Must admit this to be a complete Tie. I was pleased with Snyder until I read Grant's run all the way to Batman: R.I.P and the DEPTH of this book is mind-blowing....highly recommended run if you've been reading Snyder's stuff too much.

myconius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By myconius

greetings all. sorry for this necropost. i just wanted to share my two cents on the subject.

Grant Morrison's Batman was such a rich and well written story, it not only got me reading Batman comics again, but also got me back into comics in general. there aren't many comic issues or runs that i can compare it to as far as being enjoyable to read. i have re-read the entire run MANY times. as well as re-reading segments. it's so multi-layered, that every time i read it, i'll find something new to the story that enriches the entire experience. even just little details like seeing a portrait of Mordecai Wayne hanging on the wall of Wayne manor in 'Batman RIP' then later finding out that was really Bruce traveling through time from 'Return of Bruce Wayne. little jokes like Catwoman scoffing at the fetish Tentacle Manga then having fend off an Octopus at the end of the issue. or when Bruce tells Alfred to go out to the movies, but warns Alfred if he smells burning, that he's just taking a stab at cooking for Jezebel Jet. later Alfred returns to find the entire Bat-cave in flames! i just love the ironic humor Grant injects into his stories.

there are some comments saying Batman Incorporated was out of character. actually there was a good reason Bruce announced he was secretly backing Batman financially. his secret identity had been compromised by some of the members of the Black Glove. he had to give him self a cover story so he could cloud and confuse the issue. this was even shown in Batman Inc (2010) issue #6 when Bruce was going into chat rooms spreading misinformation. just cannot get enough of it!

i really loved the New 52 Batman when i first read it. but as the series went i came to realize that it was Greg Capullo's art that i was in love with and NOT the writing.

i don't care for seeing Batman punching Nightwing's tooth out, or rudely telling Dick to "Shut Up". and the treatment of Alfred during Synder's run was just unforgivable. from being verbally abused to letting Joker cut his hand off, or Alfred refusing to have his hand repaired. that just made NO sense. not to mention all the times Batman let himself get maimed, skewered, blown up, drown, etc...

one of the main reasons Snyder's Batman lost me was the painful amounts of exposition. it'd be one thing if it actually led to something, but it's usually just redundant and doesn't even amount to much.

anyway... that's just my thoughts.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.