Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Scott Snyder interview

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

New interview by Scott, here's some thoughts on KGbeast

I love Anatoli. I was searching for a character that could be hunting Batman and Two-Face on the road, and my first impulse was Killer Croc. But I have had this story in my mind for a long time, and when I knew that Killer Croc was going to be in “Suicide Squad,” he became kind of ubiquitous. I was like, who am I not thinking of? If this series is really about bringing back some of my favorite villains from the past, who am I not thing of? And then I remembered “Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast” and I was like, where is KGBeast? Suddenly, it just hit me; if I could think of a way to make him new, he would be just perfect for the arc. Because ultimately, what Two-Face is saying is that at the end of the day, we’re just a collection of our desires and impulses, and we mask that with what you were saying, which is a smiley, happy face. But beneath it, we are this nebulous thing of needs and desires and selfish impulses.

KGBeast is a character that fought and killed for country, and killed out of need because he was forced to do it. The thing with him is, what if he just realizes that he loves to kill, and that’s it. He’s like the id on the road. He’s like Two-Face’s proof. He is Exhibit A of what Two-Face is saying, which is, “I have admitted who I am. I have made an island where I am going to hunt people in a maze for years. And I love that. I am happy as the Beast.” And to give him a nice flair, to have him re-enhanced by the U.S. government after the U.S.S.R. fell just worked because it gave him all new weapons and new strength. I was so excited when I came up with all of that for him, just this idea that he wanted to be this chaotic, terrible, killing force on the road. I knew he was going to be on the best parts of “All Star Batman.” And I am so pleased that people have responded to him so positively. I was surprised, but also very excited.

And yes, we’ll see him again. I have an idea on how to bring him back in the arc after the next arc. Editorial liked him so much that they wanted me to put him in every arc, in every issue, hunting Batman throughout in the background of the story. But I just felt that he would overpower it. It would be too much of a distraction and take away from the other villains. But yes, I am definitely bringing him back in this series and also, I think, the event that I am doing with Greg Capullo.

I have to applaud Snyder here, Beast has undoubtedly stolen the show so far. Snyder has taken a virtually dead character and made him a hit. As a Bane though I'm sad and jealous that Bane is stuck in that crap hole King put him in. While Beast is soaring to new heights and being reinvented Bane is being stripped off decades of development and going back to the early 90's. Since King likes Scott so much he can learn a few lessons here.

On this event with Capullo

Greg calls it our Batman heavy metal rock opera. [Laughs] It’s going to be a big, epic Batman story with flaming armor, an over-the-top capstone to a lot of the stuff that we’ve done with him. It’s all mapped out. I’ve just been out to Burbank with Geoff Johns going over it, and going over what he’s doing. It was great. It was one of the best story meetings that I’ve ever had. We sat there for a couple of days and really tightened up some of the screws. Geoff was incredibly generous and helpful with it.

Above all, what I really want it to be for fans is to not have it feel like the kind of event that we’ve seen before. I love DC events. They’re bonkers and wonderful, but generally, they refer back to continuity, or they are all about where the line is at that moment in time. Geoff’s best ones have been plain-out great stories, but I think “Crisis,” for example, is in conversation with what we need to do with the line, as good as they are. What I want this one to be is different. I want it built out of the stories happening now and creating new material and giving everybody a place to tell stories that fit what they’re doing on their books, and feels really modern and different and above all fun. I don’t want it to be grim. I don’t want it to be superheroes arguing over something. Superheroes won’t be fighting superheroes. I want it to be celebratory, and huge, and crazy. I am going for out of control dinosaurs and lasers. It should be fun.

Sounds fun

More including info about his upcoming arc on ASB here

Source: CBR

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

KGbeast is cool. Cant wait to see him again.

I really hope Snyder&Capullo return will give us a marvelous event.

Also, "I don’t want it to be superheroes arguing over something. Superheroes won’t be fighting superheroes."

Ooooh shots fired Marvel

bronxbrothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Snyder...maybe this time Bruce will get pneumonia and his cat will have to be Batman...

Bat-Cat

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aahz

KGBeast was basically proto-Bane back than, a villain that was so powerfull and dangerous that Bruce couldn't beat him in a fight and had to trap him. Only other villain like that was Killer Croc in his original appearence (before he was turned into a dumb brute), who caused the complte Batman Rogues Gallery to team up to prevent him from taking over the Gotham Underworld (seriously the pre crisis Jason Todd origin is really underrated, the character might be Dick carbon copy, but his origin story is great).

Btw. I find it a little bit wired that Arrow and BvS just turned him into a generic Russian Mafia guy.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of thing that makes me want to keep reading All-Star Batman is KGBeast, He is just so much fun when he is on the page and It was a really good comeback.

I don't know how I feel about the Snyder event, It reminds me of the end of Super Heavy, where It was all giant robots fighting giant monsters, and it really didn't felt like Batman. But I am willing to give him a chance.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@entropy_aegis said:

New interview by Scott, here's some thoughts on KGbeast

I love Anatoli. I was searching for a character that could be hunting Batman and Two-Face on the road, and my first impulse was Killer Croc. But I have had this story in my mind for a long time, and when I knew that Killer Croc was going to be in “Suicide Squad,” he became kind of ubiquitous. I was like, who am I not thinking of? If this series is really about bringing back some of my favorite villains from the past, who am I not thing of? And then I remembered “Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast” and I was like, where is KGBeast? Suddenly, it just hit me; if I could think of a way to make him new, he would be just perfect for the arc. Because ultimately, what Two-Face is saying is that at the end of the day, we’re just a collection of our desires and impulses, and we mask that with what you were saying, which is a smiley, happy face. But beneath it, we are this nebulous thing of needs and desires and selfish impulses.

KGBeast is a character that fought and killed for country, and killed out of need because he was forced to do it. The thing with him is, what if he just realizes that he loves to kill, and that’s it. He’s like the id on the road. He’s like Two-Face’s proof. He is Exhibit A of what Two-Face is saying, which is, “I have admitted who I am. I have made an island where I am going to hunt people in a maze for years. And I love that. I am happy as the Beast.” And to give him a nice flair, to have him re-enhanced by the U.S. government after the U.S.S.R. fell just worked because it gave him all new weapons and new strength. I was so excited when I came up with all of that for him, just this idea that he wanted to be this chaotic, terrible, killing force on the road. I knew he was going to be on the best parts of “All Star Batman.” And I am so pleased that people have responded to him so positively. I was surprised, but also very excited.

And yes, we’ll see him again. I have an idea on how to bring him back in the arc after the next arc. Editorial liked him so much that they wanted me to put him in every arc, in every issue, hunting Batman throughout in the background of the story. But I just felt that he would overpower it. It would be too much of a distraction and take away from the other villains. But yes, I am definitely bringing him back in this series and also, I think, the event that I am doing with Greg Capullo.

I have to applaud Snyder here, Beast has undoubtedly stolen the show so far. Snyder has taken a virtually dead character and made him a hit. As a Bane though I'm sad and jealous that Bane is stuck in that crap hole King put him in. While Beast is soaring to new heights and being reinvented Bane is being stripped off decades of development and going back to the early 90's. Since King likes Scott so much he can learn a few lessons here.

On this event with Capullo

Greg calls it our Batman heavy metal rock opera. [Laughs] It’s going to be a big, epic Batman story with flaming armor, an over-the-top capstone to a lot of the stuff that we’ve done with him. It’s all mapped out. I’ve just been out to Burbank with Geoff Johns going over it, and going over what he’s doing. It was great. It was one of the best story meetings that I’ve ever had. We sat there for a couple of days and really tightened up some of the screws. Geoff was incredibly generous and helpful with it.

Above all, what I really want it to be for fans is to not have it feel like the kind of event that we’ve seen before. I love DC events. They’re bonkers and wonderful, but generally, they refer back to continuity, or they are all about where the line is at that moment in time. Geoff’s best ones have been plain-out great stories, but I think “Crisis,” for example, is in conversation with what we need to do with the line, as good as they are. What I want this one to be is different. I want it built out of the stories happening now and creating new material and giving everybody a place to tell stories that fit what they’re doing on their books, and feels really modern and different and above all fun. I don’t want it to be grim. I don’t want it to be superheroes arguing over something. Superheroes won’t be fighting superheroes. I want it to be celebratory, and huge, and crazy. I am going for out of control dinosaurs and lasers. It should be fun.

Sounds fun

More including info about his upcoming arc on ASB here

Source: CBR

What he's done with KGBeast is indeed cool, but I'm not sure why you have any hope for this event with Capullo, entropy. It sounds a lot like the usual Snyder garbage, aside from the bit about superheroes fighting one another.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@orangebat: I'm curious to see what he has in mind, I'm starving for a DC event not written by Geoff Johns. If nothing else atleast the art will be good.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

After so many years, an interview by Snyder that actually excites me in a way. Both his All Star Batman ideas and event idea sound like great fun and I really want to see what will be happening.

For the first time since Flashpoint I am kind of excited about a DC event. I like that he said that heroes won't be fighting heroes and that it would be all around fun. Let's hope for the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really hope this Snyder-Capullo event is good. I'm tired of mediocre events, honestly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.