Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Mask of the Phantasm

Jakesully1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jakesully1981

I remembered seeing this movie when it came out in theaters when i was 12 and thought it kicked ass, it was the best animated movie i ever saw.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SupBatz

It is a great one. In the heirarchy of DCAU films it's probably on my top.

Whodid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Whodid

Love that film, best batman film in my opinion.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FatihBATMAN

its great!!

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skewer

It's a tragedy that it bombed at the box office. It was so much better than most of the live action stuff.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By ComicStooge

Yeah, I thought it was awesome. I watched it like, every day on video when I was a kid,

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Best DC animated movie ever, nuff said

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By comicace3

I love that movie!

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By selinaky

My favourite DC animated film! Loved the animated series too.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By JSH92

Yea, it was really good. Probably not my favorite DC Animated film, but it's definitely up there. The theme song from it is fantastic as well.

Jakesully1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Jakesully1981

I agree on that too and i watch this every holiday season as an odd tradition as it reminds me of seeing it the first time after christmas day

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RustyRoy

Best Comic Book Animated Movie.

utkanflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 278

#13  Edited By utkanflash

So deep story, so smooth action..This movie is great.. Tragedy, Mystery,Crime all Bats stuff good with this movie..

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FatihBATMAN

hows it deep?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Probably the finest achievement of Western Animation ever. 

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'v never seen it

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@SupBatz said:

It is a great one. In the heirarchy of DCAU films it's probably on my top.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Probably the finest achievement of Western Animation ever.

@utkanflash said:

So deep story, so smooth action..This movie is great.. Tragedy, Mystery,Crime all Bats stuff good with this movie..

@RustyRoy said:

Best Comic Book Animated Movie.

@comicace3 said:

I love that movie!

@Selinaky said:

My favourite DC animated film! Loved the animated series too.

@Whodid said:

Love that film, best batman film in my opinion.

Heartening to enter a thread and see that most people share my opinion or vice versa.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sinestro_GL

Best Batman film ever!

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By RedOwl_1

Best Batman animated movie :D It's truly beautiful

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the best DCAU film of all time, and a perfect representation of how great BTAS was and how its stood the test of time. Even now the only movie since that even comes close to equaling it in my opinion is Under the Red Hood.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By End_Boss

Maybe this is one of those "you had to be there" things, because, well... I watched MOTP for the first time a couple nights ago, and I wasn't impressed. Especially when you have other options out there, like The Dark Knight Returns (easily my favorite animated Batman movie) and even Under the Red Hood.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#22  Edited By BatWatch

Yeah, it's great. I was probably about the same age when I saw it on video, and it blew me away as well. Everything that made the series great only cranked up a notch. As far as best animated superhero movie, I still have to go with Under the Red Hood.

@End_Boss said:

Maybe this is one of those "you had to be there" things, because, well... I watched MOTP for the first time a couple nights ago, and I wasn't impressed. Especially when you have other options out there, like The Dark Knight Returns (easily my favorite animated Batman movie) and even Under the Red Hood.

I haven't seen it recently. I wonder if I would be less impressed if I saw it again.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By End_Boss

@BatWatch: Perhaps! I'm likely to get crucified for this, but I don't have a great fondness for the animated show either. To my eyes, the animation is choppy and whoever the foley artists were need to be taken out back to the shed. I like the voices, don't get me wrong--Kevin Conroy is the Batman in my eyes, and Hamil as Joker is always a treat, it's just... Everything else about the show that I dislike.

Anyway, I would say if you think a rewatch might disenchant you some, avoid it. Don't spoil the good memories.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

I've seen it fairly recently, and it holds up. It's definitely up there as far as best Batman movies go-- live-action included.

I wonder why the Phantasm never made a strong comic book appearance.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batshrine

@End_Boss: The reason why is you are forgetting the significance. Before that you had the Hannah Barbara incarnations which are just as campy of the live action tv show, and even worse animation. This was the highest quality animation of the time, and has produced some of the best story lines ever. Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze's origin, and Renee Montoya being the most notable.

It is also the first animated show to be so dark, it was heavily inspired by Tim Burton's Batman (which by also your standards also isn't that good of a movie). But its the first, its the inspiration.

It also has legacy, this show was the springboard to DCAU which really brought DC ahead of Marvel in animation. It brought practically unknown characters to the forefront, and also showed many other super hero shows how to create a good superhero show.

You also touched upon the amazing crew that worked on it. The voice actors are archetypal and to this day I have yet to see a show that matches BTAS in soundtrack. The guy who spearheaded it, Bruce Timm, has also went on to produce the DCUOAM (DC Universe Original Animated Movies) that we so love and look forward to, at least I do.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

I haven't watched it from a lot of time but it is awesome!

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Bruce Timm is awesome! respect.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#28  Edited By BatWatch

@End_Boss said:

@BatWatch: Perhaps! I'm likely to get crucified for this, but I don't have a great fondness for the animated show either. To my eyes, the animation is choppy and whoever the foley artists were need to be taken out back to the shed. I like the voices, don't get me wrong--Kevin Conroy is the Batman in my eyes, and Hamil as Joker is always a treat, it's just... Everything else about the show that I dislike.

Anyway, I would say if you think a rewatch might disenchant you some, avoid it. Don't spoil the good memories.

Eh, I'm always interested to see how things from my childhood hold up to my adult eyes.

Your words against The Animated Series is blasphemy, and you should be burned at the stake. (grins) To each their own, but I've been watching BTAS recently, and I actually still like it. It isn't quite as great as I remembered, but it is still pretty awesome. I've heard that the animation was actually really high for that time period, but I haven't seen a lot of it. I also didn't have a problem with the sound effects, but whatever.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

@batshrine said:

@End_Boss: The reason why is you are forgetting the significance. Before that you had the Hannah Barbara incarnations which are just as campy of the live action tv show, and even worse animation. This was the highest quality animation of the time, and has produced some of the best story lines ever. Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze's origin, and Renee Montoya being the most notable.

It is also the first animated show to be so dark, it was heavily inspired by Tim Burton's Batman (which by also your standards also isn't that good of a movie). But its the first, its the inspiration.

It also has legacy, this show was the springboard to DCAU which really brought DC ahead of Marvel in animation. It brought practically unknown characters to the forefront, and also showed many other super hero shows how to create a good superhero show.

You also touched upon the amazing crew that worked on it. The voice actors are archetypal and to this day I have yet to see a show that matches BTAS in soundtrack. The guy who spearheaded it, Bruce Timm, has also went on to produce the DCUOAM (DC Universe Original Animated Movies) that we so love and look forward to, at least I do.

I second everything BatShrine says.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By End_Boss

@batshrine: I'm not forgetting the significance. I totally acknowledge the series' importance both to a young generation of future comic book lovers as well as to DC as a whole. It is absolutely seminal and I'm sure was mindblowing during its heyday (well, I might argue that the foley work was terrible by any standards, but I concede that that's a relatively minor nitpick for most folks)... I just don't like it. Other than the aforementioned voicework, I just can't get excited about it.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Haven't seen it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.