Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Kind of given up on The Earth One books...except for Batman Earth One

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

You might say it's The Ultimate Spiderman of this universe.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. The batman earth one volumes are really good. Can't wait for vol 3

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jtmac005 said:

Yeah. The batman earth one volumes are really good. Can't wait for vol 3

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it to be incredibly generic and mediocre. It was a re-tread of every other Batman origin story but without substance such as a meaningful plot or character development.

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I may ask, what turned you away from the other Earth One books? Granted, Teen Titans was not my favorite. I liked the story, but the artwork really threw me. Superman, to me, was an interesting read. Those books actually made me a Superman fan. That was the first Superman book I read that made me understand that he is actually superhumanly smart. The Batman books, however, to me, are the worst. Being a huge Batman fan, the Earth One books are just too big a departure for me to thoroughly enjoy. So, since I enjoyed the non-Bat related books the most, I am genuinely interested in your reasons.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

@tcrighton: Well the what I call "ho-hum Superman" is beginning to run its course with me, and Superman Earth One is more of that to some degree.

Teen Titans Earth One was just annoying, and full of annoying characters that I could give two craps about.

Haven't read Wonder Woman Earth One yet, but I'm sure it will be the typical Morrison trippy nonsense.

I thought as a Batman fan I would hate Batman Earth One, but surprisingly I don't...I kind of get a kick out of this Batman for some reason, but I wouldn't want this to be the main Batman of course.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Volume One of Batman was a trash reinterpretation of the character. Johns really shouldn't be handling Batman.

I haven't read anything in a couple of month, so I haven't gotten around to WW E1 yet.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jb681131

@wrucebayne said:

Volume One of Batman was a trash reinterpretation of the character. Johns really shouldn't be handling Batman.

I haven't read anything in a couple of month, so I haven't gotten around to WW E1 yet.

In no way it was trash. I guess you didn't get the concept of the Earth-one books then. The Earth-one books are set in a parrallele universe where they have a more humanily plosible version of each hero.

In my opinion, Geoff Johns did a great introduction of Batman and an nice story for Alfred. I highly recommand these books as the stories are well told. And the art is not bad.

I would be interrested to know why you think so. Please enlighten us !

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wrucebayne

@jb681131: I "get" what Johns was doing with E1 Batman, it's not rocket science, and it's definitely not deep art. One biggest problem with Johns' "grounded" take on Batman, was that Nolan had just done that, and did it better than Johns could even dream of. If you want a fresh take on the character, make sure it's actually a fresh take.

Johns' also butchered the death of the Waynes, making it Bruce's fault. Making Bruce a bratty child responsible for the death of his parents ruins the spontaneity and randomness of their death.Then you also have this version of Batman being an absolute incompetent buffoon, totally the opposite of what Batman has ever been. Reinterpretation is fine, it happens all the time, but when you change a character until he becomes unrecognizable, you're better off using a different character.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: lol there's nothing to "get" about a Geoff Johns book. He writes stories about heroes quip and punch things. There's nothing more to that

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrucebayne: If that's your opinion fine. But I found the stories far better constructed in Johns's books and not poor mixes off existing ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.