Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is he really the best at prep?

• 63 results
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Does anyone actually have any proof that he is fantastic at prep as everyone says he is? I've read quite a few Batman comics but have never seen anything showing that he is as great at prep as everyone says he is. I want real answers no "He's the Goddamn Batman posts"

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123
    Waiting for the inevitable "Proof? Are you dense? Are you retarded? Do you know who he is? He's the GODDAMN BATMAN!" post.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@InnerVenom123 said:
    "Waiting for the inevitable "Proof? Are you dense? Are you retarded? Do you know who he is? He's the GODDAMN BATMAN!" post. "

lmao! win.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " Waiting for the inevitable "Proof? Are you dense? Are you retarded? Do you know who he is? He's the GODDAMN BATMAN!" post. "
    lol
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " Waiting for the inevitable "Proof? Are you dense? Are you retarded? Do you know who he is? He's the GODDAMN BATMAN!" post. "
    That is not what the answer I was looking for, I want proof that he can do the things people say he can.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    That is not what the answer I was looking for, I want proof that he can do the things people say he can. "
    Wow. I obviously realize that, as I'm not dense or retarded, and I can read an OP. I was making a joke (judging by your reaction, I can't tell if you realize that or not...).
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By nefarious

Of course, with prep, he can beat Galactus and the Living Tribunal.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Nefarious said:
    " Of course, with prep, he can beat Galactus and the Living Tribunal. "
    Not to mention TOAA and Storm.
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nefarious
    @InnerVenom123: Oh yes, them, too and Squirrel Girl.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Nefarious said:
    " @InnerVenom123: Oh yes, them, too and Squirrel Girl. "
    Easily. And Spectre/Prescence.

The only one I doubt he could beat is Bugs Bunny.
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nefarious
    @InnerVenom123: Pure stomp. 

Also, I doubt he could beat  Mickey Mouse and Santa Claus.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

So I'm guessing all his abilities are a result of the Plot and not actual abilities? No wonder why I prefer Dick as Batman, at least he doesn't have insane PIS like Bruce.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By bgibs13390

Can someone actually answer this I kinda want to know too. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Nefarious:  Yeah, Santa, Mickey, and Bugs are the true creators of time, space, and awesome.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @Nefarious said:
    " @InnerVenom123: Pure stomp.   Also, I doubt he could beat  Mickey Mouse and Santa Claus. "
    I'll give you those because Mickey is most likely omnipotent and Batman would never have the heart to attack Santa Claus. I mean who would hurt a big jolly fat guy with a white beard and tons of toys?
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wise Son
    @CrimsonAvenger: Daffy duh!
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " So I'm guessing all his abilities are a result of the Plot and not actual abilities? No wonder why I prefer Dick as Batman, at least he doesn't have insane PIS like Bruce. "
    Well there's those years he spend training himself. The decades of him applying those skills and the fact that he regularly throws down with metas and survives with just "Wit body and spirit,"

He's the best at prep because he has to, especially in a world where godlike beings.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Nefarious:  Yeah, Santa, Mickey, and Bugs are the true creators of time, space, and awesome. "
    Don't forget Pinocchio, he's omnipotent as well. What about Minnie Mouse, is she not as cool as Mickey or as powerful? Well then again she's the wife so of course she's more powerful.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It's impossible to know.I don't think he's any better at prep than any other characters with comparable intellect.What has Batman done that makes him better with prep than Mr.Fantastic,Iron Man,Black Panther etc. etc.?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nefarious
    @InnerVenom123:  Yep, and they are right under God.

@CrimsonAvenger: Good question and you make a good point. These are PIS Gods.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @Vance Astro said:
    " It's impossible to know.I don't think he's any better at prep than any other characters with comparable intellect.What has Batman done that makes him better with prep than Mr.Fantastic,Iron Man,Black Panther etc. etc.? "
    I was wondering the same thing, especially Reed and Tony but also Mr. Terrific because after all he's the third smartest man in DC.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By Dracade102

Batman is a joke character. I can think of ten legitimate characters who are equally or better with prep than he is...

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:
    "Waiting for the inevitable "Proof? Are you dense? Are you retarded? Do you know who he is? He's the GODDAMN BATMAN!" post. "

LOL
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    "So I'm guessing all his abilities are a result of the Plot and not actual abilities? No wonder why I prefer Dick as Batman, at least he doesn't have insane PIS like Bruce. "

His PIS is actually without prep. 
    as for his prep,he is'nt the best like his many fanboys would tell you but he's pretty darn good.return of bruce wayne,morrisons JLA,RIP,INC.OMAC project,tower of babel are some stories.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " It's impossible to know.I don't think he's any better at prep than any other characters with comparable intellect.What has Batman done that makes him better with prep than Mr.Fantastic,Iron Man,Black Panther etc. etc.? "
    I was wondering the same thing, especially Reed and Tony but also Mr. Terrific because after all he's the third smartest man in DC. "

Batman has better showings than holt.
    @Dracade102 said:
    "Batman is a joke character. I can think of ten legitimate characters who are equally or better with prep than he is... "

batman a joke character?do you even know what a joke character is? 
    here let me give you some examples deadpool,lobo,toon force etc.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Everyone shut up, I'm here :P In terms of context, Batman is the best without futuristic BS technology (aka Marvel stuff or Apokoliptian tech). 

With prep, Bruce has been able to; 

• Create a back up personality giving his original time to reboot after being psychologically destroyed (Batman R.I.P)
    • Defeat multiple White Martians at the same time after realizing who they are from a single piece of evidence. Everyone always says that "that's nothing, Martians are weak to fire". Yeh, they are, they're also capable of moving at the speed of sound and punching through the moon, so you know, that's kind of a big deal FOR A GUY IN KEVLAR. (JLA #3-4)
    • Brought down Darkseid and the forces of Apokolips by altering and re-configuring an alien super-weapon; changing the codes so that no one could disarm it but him. He learned what the device was, how to disarm, rearm, and reset its configurations within a few hours at most. (Superman/Batman #9-12)
    • Developed strategies to defeat the Justice League, and it wasn't some crappy D-List version either. He brought down; Superman, Wonder Woman, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. (JLA: Tower of Babel)
    • Came up with a strategy to navigate through time, avoid a prep-god's master plan which would destroy the Universe, kill said god, and defeat the Hunter-Killer Doomsday Weapon; within a day. (Final Crisis, Batman: 701-702, Return of Bruce Wayne)
    • Was able to weaponise his own memories in order to combat a mental assault, consequently mindraping a consciousness-less entity, developed by Apokoliptian scientists (Batman 682-683, I think, it's around there).

Those are just some recent examples.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By JonesDeini
    @CrimsonAvenger:  
    As with all characters, his upper limits of skill are purely up to the writer. You want insane prep read the White Martian Invasion or Batman R.I.P. both written by Morrison. He's pretty much the man who ushered in the era of the fabled Bat God!!!
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " Everyone shut up, I'm here :P In terms of context, Batman is the best without futuristic BS technology (aka Marvel stuff or Apokoliptian tech). 

• Create a back up personality giving his original time to reboot after being psychologically destroyed (Batman R.I.P)
    • Defeat multiple White Martians at the same time after realizing who they are from a single piece of evidence. Everyone always says that "that's nothing, Martians are weak to fire". Yeh, they are, they're also capable of moving at the speed of sound and punching through the moon, so you know, that's kind of a big deal FOR A GUY IN KEVLAR. (JLA #3-4)
    • Brought down Darkseid and the forces of Apokolips by altering and re-configuring an alien super-weapon, and changing the codes so that no one could disarm it but him. He learned what the device was, how to disarm, rearm, and reset its configurations within a few hours at most. (Superman/Batman #9-12)
    • Developed strategies to defeat the Justice League, and it wasn't some crappy D-List version either. He brought down; Superman, Wonder Woman, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. (JLA: Tower of Babel)
    • Came up with a strategy to navigate through time, avoid a prep-god's master plan which would destroy the Universe, kill said god, and defeat the Hunter-Killer Doomsday Weapon; within a day. (Final Crisis, Batman: 701-702, Return of Bruce Wayne)
    • Was able to weaponise his own memories in order to combat a mental assault, consequently mindraping a consciousness-less entity, developed by Apokoliptian scientists (Batman 682-683, I think, it's around there).
     Those are just some recent examples. "
    Bong, Bong folk...though I don't brag about Tower of Babel, that was really weak in my opinion. Some of those plans were too complex, filled with holes and not at all as efficient as I feel Bruce would be. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini: Yeah, I don't think it was his best work either, but it was coming off the JLA Run where Morrison firmly established that Batman was a direct translation of "auto-win", so in fairness to Waid, the murkiness of some of the ideas is understandable; he was following the Bat-master.  Still, it's a legitimate feat/s.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  
    True, I'm a bit ambivalent about Morrison's Batman work. Some I love, some I hate, overall His run was interesting but not my cup of tea. I get it....but yeah, I didn't feel like it was anything special. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't like "The Bat God", what I love about Dick as Batman is that he's still human. That element is what initially drew me to Bruce, now he's a clairvoyant one man anti-everything army in the hands of most writers.  

Anyways that means "You have hit the nail on the head, my friend" lol
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini: lol, okie dokie :) 

I've loved it all, except for Batman and Robin and Inc. Dick should not wear the cowl!
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @CrimsonAvenger:  As with all characters, his upper limits of skill are purely up to the writer. You want insane prep read the White Martian Invasion or Batman R.I.P. both written by Morrison. He's pretty much the man who ushered in the era of the fabled Bat God!!! "

That was miller and DKR.still the white martians were offed by a match,RIP was though indeed a little over the top should i say.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @JonesDeini said:
    "@FadeToBlackBolt:  True, I'm a bit ambivalent about Morrison's Batman work. Some I love, some I hate, overall His run was interesting but not my cup of tea. I get it....but yeah, I didn't feel like it was anything special. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't like "The Bat God", what I love about Dick as Batman is that he's still human. That element is what initially drew me to Bruce, now he's a clairvoyant one man anti-everything army in the hands of most writers.   Anyways that means "You have hit the nail on the head, my friend" lol "

Dick was running around in a kryptonian buster space craft to fight doomsday in JLA lol.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " @JonesDeini said:
    " @CrimsonAvenger:  As with all characters, his upper limits of skill are purely up to the writer. You want insane prep read the White Martian Invasion or Batman R.I.P. both written by Morrison. He's pretty much the man who ushered in the era of the fabled Bat God!!! "
    That was miller and DKR.still the white martians were offed by a match,RIP was though indeed a little over the top should i say. "
    He had flooded the room in gas. The holding up of the match was just badass,
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @entropy_aegis said:
    " @JonesDeini said:
    That was miller and DKR.still the white martians were offed by a match,RIP was though indeed a little over the top should i say. "
    He had flooded the room in gas. The holding up of the match was just badass, "

Yes but i was trying to say that it was'nt exactly unreasonable.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @entropy_aegis said:
    " @JonesDeini said:
    He had flooded the room in gas. The holding up of the match was just badass, "
    Yes but i was trying to say that it was'nt exactly unreasonable. "
    Ahk, I get you, my mistake :)
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sydpart2
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " Everyone shut up, I'm here :P In terms of context, Batman is the best without futuristic BS technology (aka Marvel stuff or Apokoliptian tech). 

• Brought down Darkseid and the forces of Apokolips by altering and re-configuring an alien super-weapon; changing the codes so that no one could disarm it but him. He learned what the device was, how to disarm, rearm, and reset its configurations within a few hours at most. (Superman/Batman #9-12)
     Those are just some recent examples. "
    This is a fairly good one IMO. There was a recent issue of Superman Batman where the writer took on the famed "who would win in a fight?" in a rather cute/fun way, short and narrow of it is they both lost because Bruce had to kill himself and Superman to win, and this of course wasn't actually them fighting yada yada, but the points they made about Bats in it were great. 
    Another good example of his prep was in Legends of the Dark Knight...somewhere in the 180s, he sees a painting on a wall in some guys house, notices that it's supposed to be some famous piece but that it's a fake, looks at some sheets of music in the painting, gets numbers from the timing of the music, figures out that it is a longitude and latitude, then knows exactly where that is in Gotham. 
    Bruce's prep is a little more general than specific unless he's aiming to take down a single specific person. Like he knows what to do if his arms are bound, and he knows what to do if he needs to jump out of a plane without a parachute, but he doesn't know incredibly specific details about certain things.
    Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zubinen

Earth-2's Owlman(movie version from A Crisis on Two Earths) is easily a match for Batman in terms of everything that can be measured. Owlman built the QED which was capable of ending all realities, went toe to toe with Wonder Woman just using his regular suit exoskeleton and all around seemed to be one of the DCU's greatest prep Gods. IMO, what characters can be shown to do in animation/films is far more impressive and noteworthy than stuff from the comics because in the comics you can just spit out ridiculous stuff like "Oh the abstract concept of birth!" which just becomes too much of a mess to reconcile in the end. 

Still, it's worth noting that in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Batman was able to get past the encryption to activate 500 of Darkseid's Hellspores, thus forcing Darkseid to promise to leave Supergirl alone.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Zubinen said:
    " Earth-2's Owlman(movie version from A Crisis on Two Earths) is easily a match for Batman in terms of everything that can be measured. Owlman built the QED which was capable of ending all realities, went toe to toe with Wonder Woman just using his regular suit exoskeleton and all around seemed to be one of the DCU's greatest prep Gods. IMO, what characters can be shown to do in animation/films is far more impressive and noteworthy than stuff from the comics because in the comics you can just spit out ridiculous stuff like "Oh the abstract concept of birth!" which just becomes too much of a mess to reconcile in the end.   Still, it's worth noting that in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Batman was able to get past the encryption to activate 500 of Darkseid's Hellspores, thus forcing Darkseid to promise to leave Supergirl alone. "
    A no to everything in bold. 
    As for the Owlman thing, yes, Owlman was technologically more advanced than Bruce (as his intellect was superhumanly advanced), but notice the second Bats stopped messing around and realised he couldn't redeem Thomas, the fight was over.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Lance Uppercut

I wouldn't really say he's the best, but hes damn good at what he does. If others were placed in his shoes, I'm not sure others couldn't accomplish some of the same feats though.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " I wouldn't really say he's the best, but hes damn good at what he does. If others were placed in his shoes, I'm not sure others couldn't accomplish some of the same feats though. "
    This. 
    Of course he's not as good as someone like Brainiac or Vril Dox, because they're biologically designed to be more intelligent, as well as having more advanced tech. But with what he's got, he's ludicrously good.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lance Uppercut
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    " I wouldn't really say he's the best, but hes damn good at what he does. If others were placed in his shoes, I'm not sure others couldn't accomplish some of the same feats though. "
    This.  Of course he's not as good as someone like Brainiac or Vril Dox, because they're biologically designed to be more intelligent, as well as having more advanced tech. But with what he's got, he's ludicrously good. "
    Heh. Speaking of Vril, I'm about to start reading REBELS. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    This.  Of course he's not as good as someone like Brainiac or Vril Dox, because they're biologically designed to be more intelligent, as well as having more advanced tech. But with what he's got, he's ludicrously good. "
    Heh. Speaking of Vril, I'm about to start reading REBELS.  "
    Nice, I've not read it myself, but it looks good, and iLLutiracy swears by it.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lance Uppercut
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    Nice, I've not read it myself, but it looks good, and iLLutiracy swears by it. "
    Zoom and AtPhantom are fans, and I trust their taste.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    Nice, I've not read it myself, but it looks good, and iLLutiracy swears by it. "
    Zoom and AtPhantom are fans, and I trust their taste. "
    Yeah, they're clever guys.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:

They cancelled it.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sydpart2

At the beginning of Batman #400 there's a letter written by Stephen King and I think he makes a really good point that's relevant to this discussion. He starts while discussing Superman being able to do to much for him to care about the character: "Take super breath for example. Is it fair to just be able to blow Metrapolis back into place after Lex Luthor has sent it to the mid Atlantic on nuclear power jets?...Although he eventually got a mag of his own it was and still is with detective comics that Batman is most closely associated in my mind. He really was a detective; with the deific characteristics and seeming immortality of the superheros those modern Olympians denied him, he had to be a detective. He couldn't rely on super breath or any other power to return Gotham city to it's correct place after the crime had happened, he had to catch the Riddler or whomever the villain might be before those nuclear jets could be kick started."

sasarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By sasarai
    @bgibs13390: read jla: tower of babel
    garougrem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By garougrem
    @sasarai said:
    " @bgibs13390: read jla: tower of babel "
    Yup. He's the best at prep. He preps for prep.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @sasarai said:
    " @bgibs13390: read jla: tower of babel "

Some of the plans were non sensical there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.