Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How should I get started on Batman comics?

mninp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mninp

I have never read a Batman comic in my life.  I want to start getting in to them.  I want to read about Bruce Waynes' story from beginning to end (if there even is an end).  So what comic should I start out with to start the entire story of Batman as it was released?  I don't want to skip over any important story details.  Any advice on where to begin?  With the comic name and Issue number.  Thanks.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Virago
    Alright. First, you need to hit up a comic book store and be all "hey. I want some origin story batman". Then when you get a handle on him, read Dark Knight. Then read Killing Joke. Then read No Man's Land. Then read Hush. IMO.
    That's one way to go about doing it. You'll get about a hundred responses from a hundred people, so just... you know.... dive in, young grasshopper.
    mninp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mninp

If I just start on Dark Knight, will I be missing anything?  And if I "dive in" like you say, does it really matter what order I read the other comics in?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danhimself

go to amazon.com and get batman: year one, the long halloween, dark victory, knightfall, the killing joke, death in the family, and hush volumes 1 and 2 and you'll be set

paranormal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By paranormal

Depends on what you want:

Listen, you might want to have a look in the REAL Batman's first stories from the golden age from the comic books which were published in the Batman Chronicles volumes.

But these stories suck! and besides most of it its considered non-canon, so if you want to start reading Bats from the point it makes sense reading I suggest this list below ( by the way you shoud read it in the order I left in the list cause it's in the order things happened in the comics and not when they were released):

-Batman: Year One (1987-Frank Miller and David Mazzuelli- That's surely the best place where you should be beggining it shows Bats first year of activity)
    -The Man who Laughs (2004-Ed Brubacker and a bad artist)- It's like a sequel to year one and ot sows Bats firs fight with the Joker , surely it's the perfect place to you continue)
    -The Long Halloween (1996-Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale- Another Year One-like story, it's an exiting noir/mystery-like story that shows Gotham's mafia beginning to ruin and also shows Two-Face origin...oh, have told about a seria kiler too!)
    -Dark Victory (1999-Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale- sequel to Long Halloween, shows the fall of the mafia and the maniacs taking over Gotham leaving it like it is today, it's also where Robin is introduced -he was already introduced before but this is the best olace if you want to first meet him)

-Batman #408(1987-Unknown- It's only an issue but it shows the oficial origin of Jason Todd, the second Robin)

-The Killing Joke(1987-Alan Moore and Brian Bolland- A CLASSIC! It turns Barbara Gordon in an usefull character- she was the former Bargirl, you shoudn't bother in knowing anything about her past life- and more importantly, shows the origin of the Joker and defines his relationship with Batman)
    -A Death in The Family(1989-Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo- The story where the Joker KILLS Jason, incredibly important for what Batman is today)
    -A Lonely Place of Dyng(1990-Marv Wolfman and George Pérez- It's not a very good story but it shows the origin of Tim Drake, the new Robin)
    -Arkham Asylum(1991-Grant Morrisson and Dave Mckean- Another classic that shows the origin of the Asylu where the loonies are kept and it also shows the nature of the maniacs lunacy and indicate that Bats is also a one)
    -Hush(2003- Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee- I left Hush to the end because it's a far more contemporany story and you must have a deeper knowledge on the Bats' Mythos to understand something in this story that even though it's an excellent story it's not as good as everyone says but it also is extremely important to the chronology)
    P.S.
    IMPORTANT: YOU SHOULD ALSO READ THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (1986- Frank Miller and Frank Miller- It's a non-canon story but still it's considered the best Batman story and one of the best graphic novels EVER and it shows a 55 year-old Batman in an epic and futuristic Gotham City. It revolutioned the comic books. I would indicate reading it after Batman # 408)

I hope this list helps! ;-)

P.S.
    I don't think you actually need to read Knightfall and No Man's Land

mninp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mninp

Thanks for the last man.  So what would I read after Hush?  And what about the other Batman villains?  Riddler, Freeze, Ivy, Bane, Catwoman, Penguin, Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow???   It just seems like the list you gave me was about Batman VS Joker.  I mean, the Joker is an amazing villain, but I'd like to see th others.  And what about the villains who haven't been featured yet in a Batman movie?  Surely there are many others.  Also, I think Scarecrow and Two-Face tie as my 2 favorite Batman villains.  Dissapointed that Scarecrow got such a small role in Dark Knight movie.

Ptero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ptero

Also, to get another perspective on Batman, its worth picking up some Robin and Nightwing comics.

paranormal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paranormal
    OK, listen up most the comics I showed you feature, not only the Joker, but a lot of the Batman villains.
    Sure the Joker is present in most of them but that's because the writers just love to put him in the stories and from the list above he's only the MAIN villain of:
    The Man who Laughs
    The Killing Joke
     Death in The Family

He also appears in Lonh Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush and Arkham Asylum but not as the main villains.
    Through the list I gave you, ya will meet most of the Bats main villains (exept for Bane).
    See ya later.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself
    paranormal said:
    "Depends on what you want:Listen, you might want to have a look in the REAL Batman's first stories from the golden age from the comic books which were published in the Batman Chronicles volumes.But these stories suck! and besides most of it its considered non-canon, so if you want to start reading Bats from the point it makes sense reading I suggest this list below ( by the way you shoud read it in the order I left in the list cause it's in the order things happened in the comics and not when they were released):-Batman: Year One (1987-Frank Miller and David Mazzuelli- That's surely the best place where you should be beggining it shows Bats first year of activity)
    -The Man who Laughs (2004-Ed Brubacker and a bad artist)- It's like a sequel to year one and ot sows Bats firs fight with the Joker , surely it's the perfect place to you continue)
    -The Long Halloween (1996-Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale- Another Year One-like story, it's an exiting noir/mystery-like story that shows Gotham's mafia beginning to ruin and also shows Two-Face origin...oh, have told about a seria kiler too!)
    -Dark Victory (1999-Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale- sequel to Long Halloween, shows the fall of the mafia and the maniacs taking over Gotham leaving it like it is today, it's also where Robin is introduced -he was already introduced before but this is the best olace if you want to first meet him)
    -Batman #408(1987-Unknown- It's only an issue but it shows the oficial origin of Jason Todd, the second Robin)-The Killing Joke(1987-Alan Moore and Brian Bolland- A CLASSIC! It turns Barbara Gordon in an usefull character- she was the former Bargirl, you shoudn't bother in knowing anything about her past life- and more importantly, shows the origin of the Joker and defines his relationship with Batman)
    -A Death in The Family(1989-Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo- The story where the Joker KILLS Jason, incredibly important for what Batman is today)
    -A Lonely Place of Dyng(1990-Marv Wolfman and George Pérez- It's not a very good story but it shows the origin of Tim Drake, the new Robin)
    -Arkham Asylum(1991-Grant Morrisson and Dave Mckean- Another classic that shows the origin of the Asylu where the loonies are kept and it also shows the nature of the maniacs lunacy and indicate that Bats is also a one)
    -Hush(2003- Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee- I left Hush to the end because it's a far more contemporany story and you must have a deeper knowledge on the Bats' Mythos to understand something in this story that even though it's an excellent story it's not as good as everyone says but it also is extremely important to the chronology)
    P.S.
    IMPORTANT: YOU SHOULD ALSO READ THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (1986- Frank Miller and Frank Miller- It's a non-canon story but still it's considered the best Batman story and one of the best graphic novels EVER and it shows a 55 year-old Batman in an epic and futuristic Gotham City. It revolutioned the comic books. I would indicate reading it after Batman # 408)

I hope this list helps! ;-)

P.S.
    I don't think you actually need to read Knightfall and No Man's Land
    "

you don't think he needs to read knightfall? i agrre with no man's land, but knightfall is very important...batman was beat! the first time it ever happened! it's one of the most important batman stories there is!
    paranormal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paranormal

Ok, perharps he should read only the first part where he is beaten, but the rest with Azrael and all it's just useless.
    I, particulary never liked Knightfall and I think it's just anothe mega-Ultra-Jumbo saga that only tries to sell more comics.
    I like to consider it like the Clone Saga of Batman.
    Of course if mninp wishes to read he can do that at his will, however I think that the fact of Bats first time being beaten don't make any difference at all considering the detective side of Batman always was far mre important than the fighting part and that's why the writers always made him some kind of clobbering machine.
    (Man, I'm writng a lot in this topic)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.