Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23771 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How high is Batman's rank as far as fighting skills go?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Batman is undeniably one of the best hand to hand combatants in the DCU, but just how high is he ranked? What about Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, etc. 

Alpha1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Alpha1029

I got to say Batman is better then those two, Shiva have a fight with Batman and Robin once... Batman probably gotten a lot stronger now, he used to be a person who got problems fighting a thug and chasing him but if we're talking about the Batman we have now... then I think his the best, I understand lots of you will disagree -.-

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By The_Martian

I am not sure of his official rank but Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon, Cassandra Cain, Karate Kid, and Conner Hawke are at least better hand to hand fighters than Batman is. There are probably more that I am not thinking of.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Nobody: How about Deathstroke? I think he's at least on par with him
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Martian
    @Gambit1024:  I am not sure which one is better. I know that physically Deathstroke is faster and stronger than Batman, but he may not be quite as skilled.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Going by DC top 10 definitely but not top 5 I would not even say top 7

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By sexy_merc

Discounting Karate Kid, Bruce is in the top 5. Richard Dragon, Shiva, Cass, and Bronze Tiger are the other 4. I would say Bruce is either 4th or 5th, most likely 5th.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Nobody: I think it'd be safe to say they are about the same. This is only because in Identity Crisis Deathstroke took down Flash, Green Lantern, Zatanna, Green Arrow, and Hawkman all at once. Granted, Green Arrow got him back after that, but the fact that he held his own against all of them is pretty commendable. 
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Discounting KK I would rank it 

1. Richard Dragon
    2. Shiva
    3. Sensei
    4. Cassandra Cain
    5. Bronze Tiger 
    6. Conner Hawke
    7. White Canary 
    8. Bruce Wayne
    9. Black Canary
    10. Dick Grayson
    Alpha1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alpha1029

I got to say it's Batman, with his years of experience, years of training, his agility, intelligent, expertise in all known martial arts, philosophy about pain or emotional in combat, psychology in how to scare and trick, escape artist... and his batsuit is now dark :p  Harder to spot him in the dark.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Putting KK aside: 

1. Richy Dragon
    2. Shiva
    3. Bronze Tiger
    4. Cassie Cain
    5. Bruce Wayne
    6. Drakon
    7. Connor Hawke
    8. Deathstroke
    9. White Canary
    10. Black Canary
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By batman_is_god

I am sure I will be persecuted for not listing 20 people better than him, but I don't see him having a superior in martial arts. I would have said The Sensei, but he's dead now.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Alpha1029:
    Agreed.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercy_
    @Nobody said:
    " I am not sure of his official rank but Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon, Cassandra Cain, Karate Kid, and Conner Hawke are at least better hand to hand fighters than Batman is. There are probably more that I am not thinking of. "
    Agreed.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Nobody:
    Do you just hang around the Batman page to trash a character you claim to like? I don't like Wonder Woman, but you don't see me on her forums trashing her or her fans.

Rhetorical question, I just had to get that off my mind.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god said:
    "@Nobody: Do you just hang around the Batman page to trash a character you claim to like? I don't like Wonder Woman, but you don't see me on her forums trashing her or her fans. Rhetorical question, I just had to get that off my mind. "

I get that with Jason Todd haters all the damn time they love to hang out on in his fourms
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Martian
    @batman_is_god said:
    " @Nobody: Do you just hang around the Batman page to trash a character you claim to like? I don't like Wonder Woman, but you don't see me on her forums trashing her or her fans. Rhetorical question, I just had to get that off my mind. "
    I merely listed a few martial artists who I believed were better. Based of Son of Magnus listed, he knew or believes of a few more that I didn't mention. Dark Huntress seems to agree with what I stated as well. I have no "trashed" Batman.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Nobody:
    Just because other agreed does not disprove my point. On several forums you leave comments just to trash him, like how almost anyone from Marvel can beat him or how he would die within 24 hours dealing with Spider-Man villains, even though you claim to like the character. You obviously do not read his books, and only click forums with his name to trash him. 

Like I said, there are characters I do not like either, but I do not hang around their forums to bash the characters and argue with their fans.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @batman_is_god said:
    " @Nobody: Do you just hang around the Batman page to trash a character you claim to like? I don't like Wonder Woman, but you don't see me on her forums trashing her or her fans. Rhetorical question, I just had to get that off my mind. "
    Calm down.  Part of liking a character is being able to admit their weaknesses, their shortcomings and Batman is not the best hand to hand combatant that DC has to offer. 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god:
    I wish Jason Todd haters would quit going to his fourms but great point
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Martian
    @batman_is_god:  I did not once state that Batman would die in 24 hours of fighting Spider-Man's villains. I also haven't stated that almost anyone in Marvel could defeat Batman. At this point we are taking the topic off-topic which is not fair to the other users. If you wish to discuss those topics in the proper thread I would be more than happy too.

Also, I must ask you to please stop from accusing users, including myself, of things. It is one thing to debate, but another to be disrespectful which is against site rules. Thank you.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

hmmmmmmmmm
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By batman_is_god
    @The Dark Huntress:
    No, it is that he is on several forums talking about how almost all Marvel characters can beat him and how all of spider-man's villains can kill hm in a day. There is admitting shortcomings, then there is trashing.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Nobody: 

In response to your post: 

In the forum I just mentioned, you called Batman "just a guy in a bat suit" 

In the "Who in Marvel can beat Batman?" forum, you said almost everyone can beat him. 

I will get back on topic, but you should not use your position as a moderator to support your hypocrisy. If you can stay on topic, I will accept your criticism. 

I will pm you about your tactics as a moderator.
    virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By virgin4life

batmans just below me

Jodin20723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jodin20723

Comicvine states Batman Mastered 127 Different Martial Arts. i would deff put that in the top 5 at the Very Least
    -chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By -chapel-
    @batman_is_god: "Nobody" is probably just looking at things a little bit realistically than others. I dont think hes bashing any character in particular. I love Batman, but he has his flaws just like everyone else. I do think Bruce would be placed higher that 5th, or 7th in the DC universe as a top martial artist, although Cassandra might be above him.
    @daredevil21134:
    Jason Todd blows! ;)
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Martian
    @batman_is_god said:
    " @Nobody:  In response to your post:  In the forum I just mentioned, you called Batman "just a guy in a bat suit"  In the "Who in Marvel can beat Batman?" forum, you said almost everyone can beat him.  I will get back on topic, but you should not use your position as a moderator to support your hypocrisy. If you can stay on topic, I will accept your criticism.  I will pm you about your tactics as a moderator. "
    The list of who can beat Batman is much bigger than the list of people who can't. Which is how I chose to discuss this topic. I could have tried listing every character in the DCU who is a worse martial artist than Batman, but it is a smaller list when you are looking at who is better.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By brc2000
    @batman_is_god: Batman's probably my favorite character in comics, but I can admit that he's not the best martial artist.  It says a lot that the only person that's agreeing with your view is someone who has in the past made extremely idiotic posts.

And honestly, if Batman encountered something like the Sinister Six unprepared, the chances of him winning or even surviving are extremely low.
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Well, Karate Kid is listed in Superman's records (that's where Batman is getting his information in Justice League of America #8) as class 15, while Batman is 12. Logically, someone has to be class 13 and 14 or they are redundant, so presumably there are at least two people Superman is aware of that are better than Batman but not Karate Kid. If I recall correctly, when Batman is fighting Prometheus for the first time, he's bragging about having downloaded the fighting skills of the world's top fighters and while Batman is high on the list, I think Prometheus makes a point of saying he's not the best in there. Granted, he's trying to undermine Batman, but I don't think he'd be silly enough to lie to him.

Sasuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Sasuke

Why does everyone say Conner Hawke is so good of a fighter
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By sexy_merc

Hawke is overrated.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batman_is_god
    @-chapel-:

He won't even put him in the top 20. If you had seen him in other threads you would see where I am coming from. I am not flipping out over just this.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batman_is_god
    @brc2000:
    Saying he is not the best martial artist in all of comics is not my problem. Not being able to admit he is capableof anything is something else. The majority of Marvel characters can't beat him. Remeber, this is the man that Superman calls "the most dangerous man alive". The Superman/Batman books are all about how they compliment each other in every way. For everything Superman can't do, Batman is your guy. All the JLA equipment, including the satellite, was invented by Batman. He is not some loser in a costume. 

Rhino, Doc Ock, Green Goblin, etc. he can handle All six at once, yes, he would have to prepare at least somewhat. 

He has fought super powered foes many times, and believe it or not did not tell them to hold on while he ran to the batcave and devised a strategy. He can actually, you know, win. He is part of DC's Trinity, meaning he is on par with two people as powerful as gods.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daredevil21134

hmmmmm
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ckal
    @batman_is_god:  Haha, just because this is a Batman thread, it doesn't mean someone is trashing him by answering the question intelligently and honestly. If you think any response other than "Batman is the best martial artist in the DCU!!!!! Nobody is better than Bruce Wayne!!!!" is trashing the character, you are sadly mistaken.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By batman_is_god
    @ckal:
    Read my comments. This is not the first bump n I have had with Nobody. I have not confronted anyone's opinions other than him. He has been trashing the guy on multiple foorums, this is like the 4th one. 

If someone says he is not the best, ok. If someone hangs around all of his forums saying he can't fight to save his life, WTF.  

For example, I think Superman is one of the most powerful people in comics. If someone disagreed, I would feel they are wrong, but whatever. If someone responded to every Superman forum about how almost anyone can take him and how he is helpless before the majority, WTF.

With that said, this thread is becoming an assault on me more than a debate about his skill.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god:
    Your Right for fighting
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By batman_is_god
    @daredevil21134:
    Thx
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god:
    your welcome
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gambit1024

I think we should just chill out and focus on the topic. This is actually a serious question that I was asking because I learn a little bit more about Batman. Please stop bashing/insulting each other. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I'm not taking any sides and if you have beef with each other, express it in a PM. That's what they are available for.  

SO BACK ON THE MATTER AT HAND: 

I guess it's pretty much said that Bruce is in the top ten?

-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By -chapel-

@batman_is_god:
    It's not an assualt. You just happened to say something to "Nobody" that was frankly, well stupid and kind of an assualt towards him. Maybe in the future you'll keep these kinda thoughts to yourself. I never thought about the whole Trinity thing you talked about, good point.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " SO BACK ON THE MATTER AT HAND:   I guess it's pretty much said that Bruce is in the top ten? "
    Yes, I'd say he's definitely in the top 10. Probably top 5. As I said before, based on his ranking compared to Karate Kid, he can't be higher than fourth, but I couldn't say who second and third are.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Martian
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " I think we should just chill out and focus on the topic. This is actually a serious question that I was asking because I learn a little bit more about Batman. Please stop bashing/insulting each other. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I'm not taking any sides and if you have beef with each other, express it in a PM. That's what they are available for.   SO BACK ON THE MATTER AT HAND:   I guess it's pretty much said that Bruce is in the top ten? "
    This.

@Cosmic Sentinel: I agree that he is in the top ten martial artist.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By batman_is_god
    @Gambit1024:
    He has bested the majority of other fighters named here, so top 5 would be more accurate. The only character that is inarguably a superior martial artist is Bronze Tiger, who still has a hard time with Batman.
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nightwing91

The fortresses computers during the great lighting saga has bruce listed as a class 12 fighter, while karate kid is a class 15. But If you want a list I'd say bruce is probably like number 6.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.