Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How and who built the Batcave?

MrGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrGreen

Any evidence or pictures about this topic? Who helped Bruce build all that? Thanks!

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mrgreen: In modern comics the Batcave is a natural place that Batman adapted and built by himself at first then got help from Robins and Lucius Fox (from Wayne Enterprise) over time. But honestly, I don't really know how it got built.

In the early comics he only had a secred study in his manor. Then in the 60's strips came the first representation of the Batcave:

No Caption Provided

That's all I know about the Batcave.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always assumed that, beyond the cave itself just being part of a series of such areas beneath Wayne Manor, that Bruce hired a variety of different workers to build parts of it to get a basic model, after which he then just added more and more to it over the years on his own. So he probably had some ramps and platforms down there at first, perhaps just under the excuse that he wanted to do some exploring, built the computer down there from the ground up, and then as his war on crime required more tools and he gained various trophies he expanded on it.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the Beginning there was Batman

BibbyBoxx2219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if Batman has ever said precisely how he actually built the Batcave. All we seem to know is that there were some natural cave formations underneath Wayne Manor. In Batman R.I.P. when Jezebel asked how he did it all Bruce said was that it didn't get like the way it was currently overnight.

My theory is that he used WayneTech parts and kept building and making small adjustments in the early years until he got it the way it is today.

MrGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrGreen

Thanks for the answers!

To build and to equip a simple Batcave shouldn't be a problem. But after watching BvS (and eve the Dark Knigh series), after the scene where Bruce Wayne enters his Batcave I started to wonder how is it possible to hide such a construction...I mean he literally had to drain out a huge part of the river in order to make that secret entrance. I know we're talking about comics and in comics everthing is possible but I was just wondering if there's any kind of explanation...a proof or evidedence...

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what is hard to understand that Bruce found that cave !!! He don't build cave !!! He just give Bat-shape to that cave.

In Detecive Comics 205 - Batman and Robin travel through time 300 year to past, where Gotham City was a land of indian warfare. There they save a white man, who doubles as an indian. He show them his secret cave, a BAT-CAVE. Batman future Batcave :) So in Detective Comics Batcave exist more than 300 years at past !!!

In 19th century Joshua Wayne brother of Bruce Wayne grand-grandfather Solomon Wayne... with his brother use a cavern system to free slaves in Gotham. Solomon started to build a magnificent manor right above the caves to distract unwanted attention to their activities near the place.

So almost in all versions, universes the Cave always already exist and before birth of Bruce Wayne :)

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what is hard to understand that Bruce found that cave !!! He don't build cave !!! He just give Bat-shape to that cave.

In Detecive Comics 205 - Batman and Robin travel through time 300 year to past, where Gotham City was a land of indian warfare. There they save a white man, who doubles as an indian. He show them his secret cave, a BAT-CAVE. Batman future Batcave :) So in Detective Comics Batcave exist more than 300 years at past !!!

In 19th century Joshua Wayne brother of Bruce Wayne grand-grandfather Solomon Wayne... with his brother use a cavern system to free slaves in Gotham. Solomon started to build a magnificent manor right above the caves to distract unwanted attention to their activities near the place.

So almost in all versions, universes the Cave always already exist and before birth of Bruce Wayne :)

You don't have to be rude, and you are wrong man !

First in all Batman comics there isn't a Cave.

Second, in all Comics the Batcave isn't a natural cave (see the pic I posted above)

Third, the cave is only The Batcave because batman transformed it as so. So in the past (before the existance of Batman), there might have been a cave, but for sur no "BAT-CAVE" as you say !

Forth, there is nothing in your explaination that really tells us who built the Batcave.

The Show Gotham's got another theory. It is Bruce's father who had the underneath of the house arrenged into a secret study with powerfull computer technology with the help of a Waynetech engineer.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I built it

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131:

Idk how u get it all wrong... i don't was rude, that i was rude i will be in rage, and that i was in rage letters will be in flame.

And, is really hard to understand that nerevarine build the cave !!!

But serious:

1. Did i use words: ''Almost in all''... i think answer is yes... so don't put in my mouth things i dont use. Thats not so hygienic at all.

2. I don't say that its natural cave, who say that its natural cave. I don't know who build cave and don't was there when someone build cave. I say what i know, to help as much i can. Anyway ask nerevarine maybe he protect someone, when he say that he build it !!!

3. In that comic (Detecive Comics 205) that ''white man'' have a secret cave (Batman cave) and he call it same as Batman, Bat-Cave :) Go read that comics...

4. Read second point !!!

5-Gotham... do u really want to we talk about that TV Show ??? That series is one huge misspoint in Batman possible existence.

But true question we all have to ask self and each other is:

How his place (house) not collapsed into the cave ???

@mrgreen:

In Batman 1989 Batman together with Vicki Vale in Batmobile drive with batmobile right into the stone, stone wall/ stone block or sth like that:

No Caption Provided

just after it they reach into...

No Caption Provided

square dark tunel full of fog. That stone easy can be a hologram or some kind of it... picture on thick fog, bcs that stone block is obvious a false picture. This entrance is very possible or even obvious make by Batman, what can mean that he also build and cave.

MrGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drarcania: I see you misinterpreted my question. When I say Batcave I don't refer to a Batcave as a underground labyrinth of tunnels I refer to a Batcave as a highly sophisticated place, with all the gadgets, tunnels, computers. elevators, etc. I know he found the cave and that the cave was there before, but he still needed to build on and drill out all the passes, tunnels, etc.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreen:

In 19th century Joshua Wayne brother of Bruce Wayne grand-grandfather Solomon Wayne... with his brother use a cavern system(still needed to build on and drill out all the passes, tunnels, etc) to free slaves in Gotham. Solomon started to build a magnificent manor right above the caves to distract unwanted attention to their activities near the place.

Nature can do really amazing wonders with undercaves !!! U can enter in one cave under one hill, and exit at one very diferent place/hill/location...

MrGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreen:

@drarcania said:

In 19th century Joshua Wayne brother of Bruce Wayne grand-grandfather Solomon Wayne... with his brother use a cavern system(still needed to build on and drill out all the passes, tunnels, etc) to free slaves in Gotham. Solomon started to build a magnificent manor right above the caves to distract unwanted attention to their activities near the place.

Nature can do really amazing wonders with undercaves !!! U can enter in one cave under one hill, and exit at one very diferent place/hill/location...

Ok, so nature can also build drivable asphalted roads, designed curves, elevating platforms, etc.?

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreen said:
    @drarcania said:

@mrgreen:

@drarcania said:

Ok, so nature can also build drivable asphalted roads, designed curves, elevating platforms, etc.?

WTF... ???

U really don't know who build drivable asphalted roads, designed curves, elevating platforms, etc.... or u trolling ???

The Shadow... dude !!! How the hell u don't know it ??? Who the hell u think that build it ?

In the DC Pre-Crisis Universe Bruce once go to bank with parents, and they come just when robbery started. The Shadow arrive, and beat all thugs... save the day !!! Bruce and The Shadow watch each other in the eyes for a while, and Shadow figure out whats going to happen with Bruce. Because of that he build it all for Bruce that he can start his vigilante carrer.

MrGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreen said:
    @drarcania said:

@mrgreen:

@drarcania said:

WTF... ???

U really don't know who build drivable asphalted roads, designed curves, elevating platforms, etc.... or u trolling ???

The Shadow... dude !!! How the hell u don't know it ??? Who the hell u think that build it ?

In the DC Pre-Crisis Universe Bruce once go to bank with parents, and they come just when robbery started. The Shadow arrive, and beat all thugs... save the day !!! Bruce and The Shadow watch each other in the eyes for a while, and Shadow figure out whats going to happen with Bruce. Because of that he build it all for Bruce that he can start his vigilante carrer.

Really, wow...and how? Evidence? How did Shadow figure it out?

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.