Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Harper should have been Robin after Dick opinions?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By kcomicfan

What are your opinions on the reveal from Batman and Robin Eternal #18 that Harper Row was going to be Robin after Dick?

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Personally, I find it difficult to feel any kind of empathy towards the character whatsoever, because she's blatantly being shoehorned into the Bat Family by Snyder. The entire story at this point basically reads as Snyder admitting that while he knows Harper Row never will be Robin he still thinks she should be/should have been, and wants to spend as much time as possible making that clear, while at the same time ignoring the rest of the Bat Family to give his pet more attention. And really you could extend this further and just say that Snyder wants so badly to have a character he creates be Robin, because we've seen this idea pushed for both Harper and Duke now. Really just feels as if he's trying to hard to leave a lasting legacy here.

Within the boundaries of the comic itself, maybe its just arrogance on the character's part or maybe it's just her being sure that her process is so much better, but I don't see any reason for Mother, or anyone really, to think that Harper would've made a better Robin than Dick. To be fair, Batman doesn't personally buy into it either so that's just really an idea that the villain has, but it still seems rather silly. This event also isn't helped that the direction things were going down was painfully obvious for a while now.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well, from a logical comic-book-continuity stand-point, yes...i mean, Harper is less "hot-headed" than Jason she wouldn't have caused so much problems to Batman, she would like-wise not even die at the hands of the joker...

On the other hand, if Harper stepped in, we would never have hand Jason, Tim and Damian...so, it really comes down to, is Harper more important than Jason + Tim + Damian? and my answer is no...as a matter of fact, she's not even more important than Drake, who seem's directionless in this continuity. Although Snyder is giving her more importance with each passing issue, but this is all just a mere attempt of shoe-horning her into the family really.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I thought it was an obnoxious display of self-aggrandizing by Snyder. We now have two weekly's (Batman: Eternal/ Batman & Robin: Eternal) where Snyder seems to have this intense focus on building up Harper Row to be a integral part of a universe that is already overcrowded.

Since most of the Batfamily in the new 52 really don't need to exist, I wouldn't mind having Harper replace them...if not for the fact that as a character, she's not really interesting herself.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was an obnoxious display of self-aggrandizing by Snyder. We now have two weekly's (Batman: Eternal/ Batman & Robin: Eternal) where Snyder seems to have this intense focus on building up Harper Row to be a integral part of a universe that is already overcrowded.

Since most of the Batfamily in the new 52 really don't need to exist, I wouldn't mind having Harper replace them...if not for the fact that as a character, she's not really interesting herself.

Honestly that may just be the worst of it when all's said and done. Harper simply isn't interesting as a character, which makes it impossible to read about her and not compare her to her predecessors that have been tossed aside to make room for her. A lot of aspects of her in fact are just ideas/concepts from other characters thrown together. Close relationship with Cassandra? Stephanie Brown, and Tim Drake to a lesser extent. Good with tech and gadgets? Tim Drake/Barbara Gordon as Oracle, which is actually more redundant because Post-Flashpoint apparently increased Tim's skill with tech, but Harper's still better of course because reasons. Street smart punk that grew up without the support of family? Jason Todd. Goes out of her way to team up with Batman? Tim Drake, even more-so Post-Flashpoint than Pre. Could also throw this at Stephanie Brown as well. Shows up stealing from Batman/Bruce Wayne? Jason Todd.

Girl's dull as a bag of dirt.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

All these characters have their own place in Batmans history,Todd was the second Robin period.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, from a logical comic-book-continuity stand-point, yes...i mean, Harper is less "hot-headed" than Jason she wouldn't have caused so much problems to Batman, she would like-wise not even die at the hands of the joker...

I don't think that a Robin who is mind controlled by a Supervillain is really such a good idea.

And by the way

1. All Robins had arguments with Bruce, and apart from Tim all where fired or benched
    2. Robins making stupid stuff after being benched/fired by Batman is not something just Jason did, actually (apart from Tim) every Robin did it and Steph and Damian even also died because of it and Dick had just luck (and of course couldn't die in story that was set in the past).
    3. And probably any Robin (apart from Tim) would do something stupid when their family was in danger. What do you think how harper would react when she found out about the death of her parents or when something happened with her brother?

Actually Tim being the perfect Robin would make more sense ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.