Death in the family

Avatar image for thequanglewanglequee
#1 Edited by Thequanglewanglequee (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering if batman death in the family is worth reading. Would you consider it to be well written, and does it show age?

#2 Edited by Bogey (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Iran is still a demonized country so it's well written. The artwork is where it's at though. My gramps drew the crap out of it.

#3 Posted by RustyRoy (16535 posts) - - Show Bio

Its an average book, not well written. The only reason why its popular is Robin is killed by votes.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6732 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kind of underwhelmed by it, as I'd heard so often it was brilliant. It's not bad though.

#5 Posted by AweSam (7527 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I stopped listening to people after I read Knightfall.

It's an okay story and the art isn't really bad. The writing isn't bad. I liked it.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#6 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (9118 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want to read it.

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (16535 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#8 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9118 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: I want to read the story on how Jason died, heard it was a good arc.

#9 Posted by RustyRoy (16535 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by wyjim (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even think it's essential reading anymore. People who don't really even read Batman comics know that a Robin died way back in the day, and Batman suffered emotionally for it. It's a lot of ridiculousness to read for a shock that's already known. It was a letdown for me.

I'd rather recommend Robin: Year One that came out in the early 2000s. It follows Dick Grayson as Robin and has some elements and situations that better mirror and tell a Robin in peril and a Batman distraught and questioning taking a young ward into crimefighting a lot better than Death in the Family did, in my opinion.

#11 Posted by jayc1324 (20849 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it to be a good book. It doesn't feel like it was written for the purpose of killing robin, even thought the title suggests that. It actually has a good story that just happens to end with robins death. I would get it, and it's a classic

#12 Posted by Al_capOWN (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this the one from New 52? Or was there another death in family pre52?

#13 Posted by pretur22 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown: pre 52, the one from 52 is death of the the family.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (17445 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an essential reading.Was it good?Not much.It's an average book and it has fans but you shouldn't expect anything special.

#15 Posted by impossibilly (921 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

Iran is still a demonized country so it's well written. The artwork is where it's at though. My gramps drew the crap out of it.

Wait, your grandfather is Jim Aparo?

#16 Edited by Bogey (1022 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by impossibilly (921 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: Your grandfather is my all-time favorite Batman artist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.