Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

DC Announces New Batman Revamp Titles and Creators [Updated]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

The DC revamp titles news continues. Today (courtesy of IGN), we're getting some exciting news. It's all about Batman. It's almost crazy if you think about it, we will all have a chance to own Batman #1 and Detective Comics #1. Detective Comics is what brought about DC's name. Will this re-numbering stick? Honestly, that's not really the point right now. Let's just focus on what we're going to be getting.

Batman #1 will be written by the great Scott Snyder (hot of the pages of Detective Comics) along with art by Greg Capullo (who is known for working on Spawn and Haunt).

Detective Comics #1 will have Tony Daniel doing both the writing and the art. Interesting that Daniel and Snyder are switching titles. Both Batman and Detective will feature Bruce Wayne as Batman. According to IGN, Bruce Wayne will be the only character wearing the Batman suit. That means, Batman Incorporated is finished?

Batman and Robin #1 will feature Bruce and Damian written by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. Father and son fighting crime together. It should be really interesting to see how Damian works with his dad. He and Dick have started developing a good relationship and I wonder if Damian will follow orders better now.

Batman: The Dark Knight #1 will continue with David Finch. There's no assurance whether or not Finch's original story will see completion.

What else is there?

== TEASER ==

Those were the official announcements. Bleeding Cool has shown images for an unconfirmed (so far) Catwoman #1 (art by GUillem March) along with Nightwing #1 (art by Eddy Barrows). Guess we know why Bruce is the only one wearing the Batman suit.

Here's some more images:

Detective Comics #1
    Detective Comics #1

Update

IGN has now reported that Batwing #1 will focus on the "first ever African-American character to don the mantle as the Batman of Africa." It will be written by Judd Winick with art by Ben Oliver. Does this mean Batman, Inc will still have some sort of relevance?

No Caption Provided
    CombatCraigFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By CombatCraigFM

So much for Detective #900 :( Loving the idea of The Dark Knight #1, #2, and #1 lol

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

awesome. i guess ill leave Damian alone now. he seems to have been de-douchified enough. but whats gonna happen to Tim?
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

oh and its been confirmed that Batman Inc ends with the reboot i belive.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnny_spam

I love that Damian is around and that there is a Bruce and Damian book. Still worried that the end of Batman inc has been tampered with.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

As long as Morrison isn't shafted, I have no reason not to be absolutely thrilled with these announcements. Though I kinda hope that Bruce is with Talia, Selina or Zatanna in this reboot. Lonely Bruce is awesome, but relationship Bruce is a nice change. 

All in all;

**** YES!

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MuadDiab

F*** SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!! DIck (as Batman) and Damien should not be ruined. So sad. Why does Morrison's work always get un-done. In fairness, this company wide re-boot is good for DC but BAtman was the only one that was fine. angry now

otakucomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By otakucomics

At least we still get Scott Snyder doing Batman. But what about Tim? And Batgirl?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By doordoor123

Theres also Swamp Thing

Avatar image for top_flight_security
    Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I suppose with the reboot of the entire DC comics, things were going to change. It should be no surprise.

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By jlat89

if anyone read the article is says that Morrison is still involved and that they'll announce something later this week.  They also said things will be released throughout the day.  I'm sure we'll hear about Tim soon enough
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess Detective has come to an end and is being renumbered too. Darn that's too bad, of all DC books I would have thought it should have the distinction of at least getting to #900.  Really makes me wonder if this is going to be a lasting trend to be honest.  Guess we'll just have to see! So far it looks great though. So far...

Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Migz13

I REALLY don't know what to say. 
    Sure this reboot has it's pros... but when I think about Batman and the AWESOME books it's been releasing nowadays... I just can't help but see the cons. I just hope they now what they're doing. I mean cmon?! No more current continuities for Batman Inc, Batman and Robin, Streets of Gotham and Detective Comics?! Madness...

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By batmarcus

Damian survives and so does Dick this is the BEST news about this reboot for me!!!! But what about Tim and Cassandra and Stephanie??

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jlat89

I don't see how there can not be continuity because they're going to have Damian as Robin.  As awesome as Dick was as Batman (I was a big fan) it would have either been him dying and Bruce returning to full time duty or him returning to being Nightwing.  I prefer him as Nightwing. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Batman Inc can still live on. It's not like El Gaucho, Dark Ranger, Knight & Squire were wearing Batman costumes. They each had their own unique look.  
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By doordoor123
    @Batmarcus said:

Damian survives and so does Dick this is the BEST news about this reboot for me!!!! But what about Tim and Cassandra??

Its a RELAUNCH. not reboot. DC VP confirmed it. But apparently this isnt news to comicvine because they "called" it.

@jlat89

said:

I don't see how there can not be continuity because they're going to have Damian as Robin.  As awesome as Dick was as Batman (I was a big fan) it would have either been him dying and Bruce returning to full time duty or him returning to being Nightwing.  I prefer him as Nightwing. 

Im going to say it again. Its not a reboot. reLAUNCH.

Can someone from ComicVine please report that it is in fact a ReLAUNCH and not a reboot?
    People have been bashing the idea on this site because they didnt know it was a relaunch.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By MrUnknown

Ah great Snyder is staying. That's awesome! The other titles seem meh for now...

Avatar image for crimsoninutears
    CrimsonInuTears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrimsonInuTears

I was afraid Batman an Robin would be on this list... an that Dick was out as Batman. Back to Nightwing as he should be, but still... I have a really bad feelin about B+R...

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Om1kron

greg has been happier than a schoolgirl with the excitement of getting to draw batman. i'm really excited for the direction his artwork is going to take the series.

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jlat89

I like that DC recognizes the great work Snyder has been doing and promoted him to the "Batman" title.  It's going to be interesting to see whether or not Jock really helped his story though.  I like Tony Daniel, but I would still prefer him to just draw, maybe it's a good thing he's doing Detective though.
    jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jlat89
    @doordoor123
    I know, I'm in agreement with you.  It seems that people hear "relaunch" and it automatically means reboot.  They're relaunching the titles, it's not really anything new, it's just the fact that they're doing the entire line at once.
    BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BuNKiTZ

What the hell is going on with Nightwing!? Did he go evil or something?? Maybe he's like Thomas?? Damn... >.>
    I just hope that Steph is still going to be here... And of course, Tim as well >_<

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jlat89
    @BuNKiTZ
    The look is actually starting to grow on me.  I thought it was weird without the blue but it works, it's a redesign.  I'm fine with it, it could also just be a cover art to draw you in.   

I assume Tim is still going to be Red Robin.  DC wouldn't get rid of him, at least I hope not.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By doordoor123
    @jlat89 said:
    @doordoor123: I know, I'm in agreement with you.  It seems that people hear "relaunch" and it automatically means reboot.  They're relaunching the titles, it's not really anything new, it's just the fact that they're doing the entire line at once.
    Geoff Johns said some time had passed in the GL universe so i assume this is like Year One again but with more adjustments to characters.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I love that Damian is still here and still Robin, now I just want to know whats happening with Red Robin and Nightrunner.

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batmarcus

I know I already commented but another thought a cured to me: What happens to Jason Todd and Barbra Gordon???  

@ doordoor123: Its a RELAUNCH. not reboot. DC VP confirmed it. But apparently this isnt news to comicvine because they "called" it.       
    Thank you for telling me I was not aware of that but I still want to know what happens to all these characters??

RUSTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RUSTMAN

While I did like Dick as Batman, it does make sense what they're doing, plus Dick knew it was only temporary... 

Looking forward to Batman #1...

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28  Edited By BradBrains

no dick as batman? gotta say im disappointed.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

#29  Edited By KINCART

I really like the new Nightwing costume!

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Phantim555

Does anyone know anything on if Red Robin will continue?
    DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DomDom

gonna be a bit of a bummer, not keeping Dick and Damian together...=( 
    But Nightwing is BACK! Dick can be his own man again! =) 

Dang there are just gonna be too many series i want to collect!

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thecheckeredman

What a mess...

RUSTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RUSTMAN
    @Phantim555 said:
    Leading the Outsiders? Hopefully they can fit Tim Drake in somewhere...
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By shawn87

wow i cant believe they're starting Detective Comics over at #1.  

So are we suppose to forget everything up until this point? They're not being clear on that. 

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By laussica

so happy they kept damien as robin

bit sad to see dick go

but i still like him as nightwing too

also excited for catwoman and babs as batgirl

No Caption Provided
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By danhimself

That Nightwing costume is bada$$

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

What about Batman Beyond??? O_o

punisher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By punisher1313

Thank God I can finally start reading Batman again, the only thing worse than having Dick as Batman was having several people as Batman, how can you have a personal feud or relationship with someone if there are several people under the same mask, also having Batman smile and use witty one liners destroyed all the darkness, fear, and respect Batman has built up over the years, Batman was a human that walked among gods and demanded their respect, that ended as soon as Greyson put on the suit, if I wanted to read about an A-list super hero that used goofy one liners I would read Spider-man, please DC, please keep Morrison as far away from Batman as possible!!!!

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kennybaese

The new Nightwing uniform looks good. I dig the red. I wonder if Morrison will still be doing something Batman, or if he's just going to he doing Superman. Also, am I the only one who liked the last Bruce design with the glowing yellow oval? I thought it was rad. Oh well,color me

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Phantim555
    @RUSTMAN said:
    @Phantim555 said:
    Leading the Outsiders? Hopefully they can fit Tim Drake in somewhere...

I hope so. I love DC but looks like they only love me for my money. I want so many titles  
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @punisher1313 said:
    Thank God I can finally start reading Batman again, the only thing worse than having Dick as Batman was having several people as Batman, how can you have a personal feud or relationship with someone if there are several people under the same mask, also having Batman smile and use witty one liners destroyed all the darkness, fear, and respect Batman has built up over the years, Batman was a human that walked among gods and demanded their respect, that ended as soon as Greyson put on the suit, if I wanted to read about an A-list super hero that used goofy one liners I would read Spider-man, please DC, please keep Morrison as far away from Batman as possible!!!!
    DId you even read Dick as Batman or Batman Inc.? Dick did nout use goofy one liners and none of the Batman Inc. said they where Batman or dressed as him.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kennybaese

The new Nightwing uniform looks good. I dig the red. I wonder if Morrison will still be doing something Batman, or if he's just going to he doing Superman. Also, am I the only one who liked the last Bruce design with the glowing yellow oval? I thought it was rad. Oh well, color me interested in the Batman and Batman and Robin series. I'll keep skipping Tony Daniel's stuff.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BuNKiTZ

@jlat89 Well it certainly isn't drawing me in. I mean, it just looks to metallic :( And I hope you're right about Tim... Yeah... They can't just get rid of him, he's become too valuable as a part of the Bat Family, well, in my opinion at least...

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

these feel like steps backward.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By doordoor123
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:

these feel like steps backward.

Sometimes you need to take a step backwards to take a step forward.
    punisher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By punisher1313
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @punisher1313 said:
    DId you even read Dick as Batman or Batman Inc.? Dick did nout use goofy one liners and none of the Batman Inc. said they where Batman or dressed as him.
    I stopped reading in the Two-Face storyline when Dick was smiling at at camera's and letting the media get all kinds of photos of him, he was also talking about ditching the cape at one point also.
    Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blueninjapanther

Nightwing looks cool but I like him in blue.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sydpart2

I just don't know I really wanted to see where inc was going and I kind of feel robbed of that...

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mumbles

nice! even though renumbering is lame.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @punisher1313 said:
    Most of these instances occurred under Morrison's pen. Morrison is the best Batman writer ever. The issues where Dick was portrayed like that weren't written by Morrison. Dick being Batman only stopped working once Bruce returned, since he rendered Dick totally obsolete.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.