Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Could Batman be The best villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-6314d3d11bddb
    deactivated-6314d3d11bddb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

And where would he rank on the villian chart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go!!

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty high up. With a yellow power ring of course, he could be one of the most dangerous on DC earth.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Justice League would've been taken down a long time ago. And the Joker wouldn't exist ಥ_ಥ

Avatar image for iheartzombies92--defunct
    IheartZombies92--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Justice League would've been taken down a long time ago. And the Joker wouldn't exist ಥ_ಥ

@rbt said:

Pretty high up. With a yellow power ring of course, he could be one of the most dangerous on DC earth.

Quoted for ze truth

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would make for a very uninteresting villain.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#10 vance_astro  Moderator

@jmg said:

I disagree. If he actually had it in him to be malicious and hurt people, I think Bruce would be very interesting. He has the skills and intellect to be a very formidable combatant and the creative scientific genius to make his encounters with heroes memorable.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prometheus, Owlman, and Tower of Babel make a strong argument for him being extremely dangerous as a villain.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I would definitely be up for an elseworld story where the batfamily has to try and stop him from establishing a "Big Brother" police state in Gotham. If written well, it could easily be one of the top Batman stories of all time. If he were the enemy of the Justice League, no, Batgod plot devices would reign supreme and it wouldn't be for me, (though I'm sure there is an audience for it).

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmg said:

I disagree. If he actually had it in him to be malicious and hurt people, I think Bruce would be very interesting. He has the skills and intellect to be a very formidable combatant and the creative scientific genius to make his encounters with heroes memorable.

I just don't think he would be able to do the things he can do now if he were a villain. Batman can beat any super hero due to PIS, and this is only because he is the good guy and the majority's favorite comic book character. If he were a villain, according to pretty much anyone you talk to, Batman would kill everyone in the Justice League in a couple of arcs. But that would be stupid and the writers wouldn't let that happen and just write him off as a crazy guy in a bat suit and Superman would kick his ass then people could use that as an argument that Superman is better.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is hopefully what we will get in man of steel 2

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 vance_astro  Moderator

@jmg said:

@vance_astro said:

@jmg said:

I just don't think he would be able to do the things he can do now if he were a villain. Batman can beat any super hero due to PIS, and this is only because he is the good guy and the majority's favorite comic book character. If he were a villain, according to pretty much anyone you talk to, Batman would kill everyone in the Justice League in a couple of arcs. But that would be stupid and the writers wouldn't let that happen and just write him off as a crazy guy in a bat suit and Superman would kick his ass then people could use that as an argument that Superman is better.

Batman doesn't really beat every superhero do to PIS. There are many instances where he was simply intelligent and skilled enough as well as having some prep to get done what he needed to get done;. PIS works both ways, you don't think villains ever beat heroes in situations that is actually contradictory to what writers have built the hero up to be? As a villain, Batman would probably be alot like Dr.Doom accept without the master of magic and being a political figure. To a character like Superman he would be alot like Luthor. He's smart enough to figure out how to match Supes and although he loses in most of their encounters..he still comes out as formidable.

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmg said:

@vance_astro said:

@jmg said:

Batman doesn't really beat every superhero do to PIS. There are many instances where he was simply intelligent and skilled enough as well as having some prep to get done what he needed to get done;. PIS works both ways, you don't think villains ever beat heroes in situations that is actually contradictory to what writers have built the hero up to be? As a villain, Batman would probably be alot like Dr.Doom accept without the master of magic and being a political figure. To a character like Superman he would be alot like Luthor. He's smart enough to figure out how to match Supes and although he loses in most of their encounters..he still comes out as formidable.

Meh I just don't see it. In my personal opinion Batman is only a fun read because of his supporting cast and villains. If you take that away and just make him a villain, then he would just seem like a boring villain in my eyes. Having your parents shot when you were a child is a good enough backstory for a hero but not for being a villain who fights metahumans in a bat suit.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@jmg said:

@vance_astro said:

@jmg said:

So I agree with you that he would make a very uninteresting villain, but I definitely don't think Batman is a product of PIS. It's almost driving me crazy, show me the most recent instance of PIS and you will probably still be talking about how he kicked the Spectre.

Anyway, sorry didn't mean to sound like I am attacking you. First of all a villain that is written purely with PIS as a bad villain is a bad argument because I know of one, the Joker. The Joker is either psychic, and can be everywhere at once, source: Death of the Family. Now who is the world's most famous and favorite villain, oh yeah...the Joker.

But here is my reason why Batman wouldn't be an interesting villain. It's his struggle to not cross the line that makes him most interesting. A villain out for vengeance is not nearly as interesting as a hero out for justice. His stories would get repetitive, which is why although Owlman and Prometheus are cool. They don't appear to often because Owlman to this day hasn't changed or evolved as a character. His story almost remains the same. Though I loved the most recent Justice League issue, which is all about Owlman and more of his backstory, it all felt as if its the same. They are good characters to display an occasional and rare what if...but not good as regular villains like Luthor.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can't beat anyone that is above street level so I wouldn't have him fight everyone

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmg said:

@vance_astro said:

@jmg said:

So I agree with you that he would make a very uninteresting villain, but I definitely don't think Batman is a product of PIS. It's almost driving me crazy, show me the most recent instance of PIS and you will probably still be talking about how he kicked the Spectre.

Anyway, sorry didn't mean to sound like I am attacking you. First of all a villain that is written purely with PIS as a bad villain is a bad argument because I know of one, the Joker. The Joker is either psychic, and can be everywhere at once, source: Death of the Family. Now who is the world's most famous and favorite villain, oh yeah...the Joker.

But here is my reason why Batman wouldn't be an interesting villain. It's his struggle to not cross the line that makes him most interesting. A villain out for vengeance is not nearly as interesting as a hero out for justice. His stories would get repetitive, which is why although Owlman and Prometheus are cool. They don't appear to often because Owlman to this day hasn't changed or evolved as a character. His story almost remains the same. Though I loved the most recent Justice League issue, which is all about Owlman and more of his backstory, it all felt as if its the same. They are good characters to display an occasional and rare what if...but not good as regular villains like Luthor.

I was speaking more in a hypothetical sense. There is an argument for Batman beating everybody because the other person wouldn't know they would be fighting and Batman would formulate some plot in his bat cave to defeat them. That's what I meant. It works great for a hero with no super powers but it would be ridiculous if everybody was talking about how Lex Luthor could defeat every body because he is the villain and will ultimately lose.

And that's another reason why he wouldn't be interesting. People love Batman because of his self discipline, if he was a murdering psychopath then it just wouldn't be Batman, he'd be the joker lol.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd certainly be up there. Due to his paranoia and intelligence, we've seen he already tends to have plans for dealing with the League on a regular basis. And he knows who many other superheros are, and with the resources at his command he could find out the identities of those he doesn't know. Heck, I could easily see him taking over and ruling the world.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wouldnt it be kinda like Prometheus?

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are looking for some insight as to what a villainous Batman would be like, take a look at Prometheus and Owlman. Owlman literally is an alternate universe evil version of Batman and the blueprint of Prometheus's character is incredibly similar to that of Bruce. I also think that Bruce Wayne as a villain would be similar to Ozymandias. That being said, I have always wanted an else world title where we actually got Bruce Wayne as the main villain.

@kgb725 said:

He can't beat anyone that is above street level so I wouldn't have him fight everyone

Anyone with a basic knowledge of Batman knows that Bruce has plenty of feats that support him defeating people outside his weight class. Being human does not restrict him to being a villain for street levelers.....

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd be far more powerful than he is now and will be one of the biggest threats of JL.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

He'd be far more powerful than he is now and will be one of the biggest threats of JL.

This

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lifeofvibe

Umm man all hero's dead...poor superman

Avatar image for divine_disorder
    Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Divine_Disorder

Batman's certainly capable of being a dangerous villain, and I'd love to see a story like that. But he'd have to have a compelling reason to be one, a powerful motivation that drives his hatred. Otherwise, he's just another crazy bad guy.

I would definitely be up for an elseworld story where the batfamily has to try and stop him from establishing a "Big Brother" police state in Gotham. If written well, it could easily be one of the top Batman stories of all time. If he were the enemy of the Justice League, no, Batgod plot devices would reign supreme and it wouldn't be for me, (though I'm sure there is an audience for it).

I think this story already exists. Batman rules Gotham with an iron fist and all dissent is suppressed. I think it's called "The Tyrant" or something, but it's Anarky who tries to stop him. Dunno what roles the rest of the bat family play.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Depends; if he was always a villain he would probably be like Owlman, but if suddenly something happened to him and he became a villain like his own version of Injustice; he would be the most dangerous foe the Justice League ever faced. Batman is incredibly smart and more importantly (because lets face it if intelligence was all that was needed, well Brainiac) he knows all of the members of the Justice League, understands what makes them tick and is trusted by everyone. He could actually kill them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.