Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Confused about the chronology of Batman Comics after rebirth

samsam98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've decided to start reading the newer Batman comics after hearing about the Rebirth event, since I haven't really read much since the Death of the Family story arc. But when I went to start reading I was a bit confused as there's a Batman Rebirth #1, another Batman issue #1 from the rebirth and then there's the Detective Comics - Volume 3 with the original numbering. I'm kinda confused as to what's what and when and what's the order and stuff like that, can anyone explain it please? Appreciate it

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jb681131

@samsam98: Here I go:

• What is Rebirth ? Read DC Univers: Rebirth #1
    • DC Univers Rebirth issue spawned a special rebirth issue for each Hero, "The Hero: Rebirth". For Batman it was Batman: Rebirth #1
    • After That all issues where branded "DC Univers Rebirth" at the top of each issue.
    • They all restart at #1 execpt for "Detective Comics" and "Action Comics" who came back to the pre-new52 numbering.
    • For Detective Comics and Action Comics, there is no new serie starting, it is only the pre-new52 being continued.

samsam98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jb681131: Alright, that makes sense. But - I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot here - what's the continuity like then? Is Detective Comics not linked to the ongoing Rebirth Batman comics (the one with Rebirth on the top)? And what about the new All Star Batman series, is that part of the Rebirth continuity? I realise I sound really dumb here but it's been awhile.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samsam98 said:

@jb681131: Alright, that makes sense. But - I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot here - what's the continuity like then? Is Detective Comics not linked to the ongoing Rebirth Batman comics (the one with Rebirth on the top)? And what about the new All Star Batman series, is that part of the Rebirth continuity? I realise I sound really dumb here but it's been awhile.

Well Rebirth is the "rebirth" of the heroes as they were before the New 52 era.

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@samsam98: All those series are part of the same continuity, yes. The current continuity is the same as the New 52 continuity.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caivu said:

@samsam98: All those series are part of the same continuity, yes. The current continuity is the same as the New 52 continuity.

No it's not, that is why Action comics and Detective comcics took there old numbering back and that all other titles started at number 1 !

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Caivu

@jb681131: Yes, it is the same continuity. Batman, Detective, and All-Star all take place in the main DCU, like all other main Rebirth titles.

The only reason for the renumbering is because both of those titles are close to hitting #1000, and DC quite rightly wants to capitalize on that. That's it.

Rebirth is not a reboot, just a relauch. The current continuity has not been reset from the New 52. Some minor things have changed, but it's the same timeline.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caivu: You are right, it is not a reboot. But it does cancell some New 52 events, relook some heroes, bring some pre-flashpoint heroes back to existance and revive some hereos that died during New 52. I admit, it stays on the same univers and earth, and some heroes and vilains that have appeared during the New 52 era are still there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.