Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can someone help me track down this obscure Batman issue?

fleakfragfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fleakfragfry

When I was a kid, I remember having a strange issue of Batman, and I'd like to know more about it, whether it was part of a longer story arc, and when it was published. All I remember was that Batman was utterly insane, the joker dressed like a jester, there was an evil and violent bat-hound, the batmobile could talk, and there was a particularly disturbing scene where batman appears in a kid's mirror that ends with him holding the child and crying. Does anyone remember this strange and interesting issue?

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By serpent222

Well, first off, is it possible that you're confusing details because it was so long ago? I was legitimately curious and looked around. I thought I remembered Joker dressed as a jester in one Arc, but he wasn't. But reading this, my gut said it was "Batman: RIP." Here's the similarities:

• It is all about Batman descenting into madness
    • According to Comicvine, both Bathound and Joker appear in it(one of very few books to include them both)
    • There is heavy use of mirrors and glass through the arc
    • Joker is NOT dressed as a jester. HOWEVER, there are both thugs and a hero that appear dressed as a jester. Personally, I confused the two images and thought it was Joker.
    • I skimmed through it again and did not see the child, though.

Here's an example of the art, in case it looks familiar at all:

http://im.glogster.com/media/15/46/72/75/46727524.jpg

Any other details that you can recall from it? Or any idea how recent or old it was?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Well, since that comic sounds pretty weird and insane the closest thing that comes to mind is:

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By serpent222

That middle one certainly looks like a great candidate.

fleakfragfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fleakfragfry

Yup, it was Detective Comics 623 that I had. I found it shortly after posting this, but thanks for the quick reply! The jester joker I now remember was from another issue I had where Batman gets a Tarot reading, so the Joker is being represented as a literal joker in a tarot deck. Anyway, I found out that it's actually not Batman going insane in these issues here, it's an in-universe Gotham comic writer's take on what he thinks the origin of Batman is. Now I have to track down the issues, because I've always wanted to read the full arc, and the whole comic within a comic device allows for some pretty interesting departures from traditional Batman constraints. And just looking at it now gives me the strangest feelings, like nostalgia, but more visceral and less easygoing. Thanks for the help!

fleakfragfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fleakfragfry

@serpent222: It's not that arc, but I have long wanted to read that one. Note how much the Joker looks like Marilyn Manson in the linked artwork.

fleakfragfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, guess what three years later? I found all three issues at Ontario comics in Philadelphia. How about that? My childhood is complete... sorta.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.