Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Best Comics About Gotham City

davistheasian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi. Even though I'm a big batman fan, I wanted to try something different and start reading books about gotham city but not necessarily about batman himself. Here's the list I've compiled:

Gotham Central

Gates of Gotham

The Black Mirror

Gotham Noir

Please let me know if I missed any.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Anjales_II

@davistheasian

Pretty Much the ones you mentioned are the strongest ones.

There are some others:

- Court of Owls technically counts as a "Gotham City" story because we did sorta learn about the "secret history" of Gotham City

- Dark Knight, Dark City - The main villain is the riddler that has him put Batman through a Gauntlet of deadly riddles. But the story is more than that. It's one of those stories that implies that Gotham is a haunted city.

- Batman - Death By Design - A story with beautiful art. While the story is itself is a little forgtable, the real star is t

- Destroyer - This is the story that has ties to the look and feel of Tim Burton's Gotham in his Batman movies. A three part saga that focuses on the architectural aesthetics of Gotham city, and also delving into its "secret history". It's a story that deals with blowing up and re-making the city while also making it a fitting place that spawns someone like the Riddler or the Joker. It's a fascinating story.

- No Man's Land (a large part of it deals with the city itself, how it became a warzone, not just Batman)

- Batman: Gotham Night I and Batman: Gotham Nights II (these stories generally focus on the citizens of Gotham)

- Gordon of Gotham (A TPB that collects mini-series and one-shots featuring Jim Gordon. These are old fashioned crime stories told from Gordon's point of view).

- "Made of Wood" - Can be found in the "Man Who Laughs" TPB. A story that features Alan Scott Green Lantern and it is surprisingly grounded. It basically shows you the life in Gotham from different perspectives, while contrasting Batman and Lantern's pov. It's also a strong detective story.

- "Officer Down" - Not a big fan of the story personally, because it portrayed Batman himself very badly, but the story's true stars were the GCPD and how they get sh*t done. This story was basically a prototype of what Gotham Central would become. If you are a fan of Harvey Bullock, and Renee Montoya, then you can definitely read this. You can read "Turning Points" as a sorta prequel to this story, it deals with the relationship between Batman and Gordon at different stages of Batman's history (year one, after jason's death, after the killing, during the time bruce's back was broken etc..) and how it has evolved over the years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.