Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman: Underrated, Just Right, Overrated

dmkicksballs13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dmkicksballs13

It's pretty simple, what Batman comics are underrated, just right, and overrated. Keep it in Batman comics, no supporting character stories, i.e. Nightwing, Gotham Central, etc.

Underrated: Bane of the Demon, Slayride (Det. Com. #826), Face the Face, Dark Knight Dark City, Yesterday's Gone (Det. Com. #678), Heart of Hush, Prey (LOTDK), Battle for the Cowl, Noel, Gotham County Line, Resurrection Night (Batman #400),Wrath Child (Confidential), The Man Who Laughs

Just Right: The Cult, Morrison's Batman and Robin, Venom (LOTDK),Year One, The Black Mirror, Strange Apparitions, The Last Arkham (SOTB), The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham by Gaslight, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Overrated: The Dark Knight Returns, A Lonely Place of Dying, Hush, R.I.P., Court of Owls, Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, Ego

Avatar image for knightofcydonia
    Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Noctis

TCH! no Batman comics are overrated, he's Batman! lol.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

Yay,you listed Noel.

ANOMALY0964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ANOMALY0964

If the only character DC had was Batman, they would still be alright...

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By renamed040924

@dmkicksballs13 said:

It's pretty simple, what Batman comics are underrated, just right, and overrated. Keep it in Batman comics, no supporting character stories, i.e. Nightwing, Gotham Central, etc.

Underrated: Bane of the Demon, Slayride (Det. Com. #826), Face the Face, Dark Knight Dark City, Yesterday's Gone (Det. Com. #678), Heart of Hush, Prey (LOTDK), Battle for the Cowl, Noel, Gotham County Line, Resurrection Night (Batman #400),Wrath Child (Confidential), The Man Who Laughs

Just Right: The Cult, Morrison's Batman and Robin, Venom (LOTDK),Year One, The Black Mirror, Strange Apparitions, The Last Arkham (SOTB), The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham by Gaslight, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Overrated: The Dark Knight Returns, A Lonely Place of Dying, Hush, R.I.P., Court of Owls, Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, Ego

I don't think Battle for the Cowl is underrated, I've actually seen it get a lot of praise.

I'd say which I think is overrated but I'm afraid I'll get banned...

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Suprman

The only overrated book I really agree with is Dark Knight Returns and possibly Ego.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Suprman said:

The only overrated book I really agree with is Dark Knight Returns and possibly Ego.

Amen Kryptonian amen.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dhor

underrated: Streets of Gotham. especially fist 12 issues

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By YMCMB

Year One is overrated

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Underrated - Peter Milligan's stuff
    BB

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11  Edited By BatWatch

@dmkicksballs13 said:

I hated heart of Hush. It was the first time the character was used and I didn't enjoy him. It was just bizarre, and I believe it ended on a cliffhanger right before One Year Later which never really resolved the plot line...if I am thinking of the right story.

I enjoyed A Lonely Place of Dying a lot. I wouldn't call it one of the best Batman stories, but it is solid.

Hush was excellent fun and intriguing, but I would not accuse it of pushing forward the medium or being a masterpiece. It simply did a good job of using the advantages of the comic medium, recurring bad guys, plot twists, resurrections...all good stuff but not genius.

You are a crazy man for not loving The Killing Joke.

I agree with the rest of your list though. Good thread.

dmkicksballs13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By dmkicksballs13

@PsychoKnights: Heart of Hush was after Hush. And I really do love the Killing Joke, but I hate the Joker origin story. It was simple, unnecessary, and I like the that the Joker never had an origin. Every time I read The Killing Joke I skip over those pages.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#13  Edited By BatWatch

Is heart of Hush the one where he fought the Joker and the Joker had some weird pacemaker put into Hush which would stop his heart if he used his randomly acquired Pigeon powers to cause a bird to make Hush's heart to stop...because that one was just strange.

I see your point about Joker. In my mind, I like to think of there being several origin stories floating around the streets of Gotham about where Joker originated, and all the various stories we have seen in the comics are just different stories in circulation. None of them are necessarily true or necessarily false. It would take away from Joker's ambiance though if he had a clear origin.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrShway88

I agree with some of your overrated list such as Arkham Asylum. I though Black and White is also overrated. Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and War Games are underrated. And No Man's Land is just right.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eternal19

the court of owls stuff is kinda overrated. and TDKR is the most overrated on the list, its pretty much written by a batman fanboy who hates superman. i agree with your just right list to, i loved morrison on batman and robin

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By RedOwl_1

@Suprman said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.