Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23633 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman: The Killing Joke Will Show in Theaters One-Night Only

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The next DC original animated feature is headed to theaters, one-night only. Batman: The Killing Joke adapts the classic story and will have an R-rating. The special screenings will have exclusive presentations before and after the movie.

Check out the full details below.

No Caption Provided

The dark journey into insanity begins as “Batman: The Killing Joke” gets the big-screen treatment for one night on Monday, July 25, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time. Fathom Events, in partnership with Warner Bros., is teaming up with Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment to bring the acclaimed graphic novel-turned-film to select cinemas nationwide. “Batman: The Killing Joke” reunites the foundation of “Batman: The Animated Series” with Bruce Timm returning as executive producer, and actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprising their seminal roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively. In addition to the animated feature, audience members will get to experience a special introduction from Mark Hamill plus a never-before-seen documentary about how Hamill was cast in this project and what the role means to him as an actor and a fan. The event will conclude with a special behind-the-scenes look at how the Joker’s memorable, yet disturbing song and dance number was recreated for this feature.

Tickets for “Batman: The Killing Joke” can be purchased online beginning Friday, June 17 by visiting www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in select movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

Based on the acclaimed DC graphic novel of the same name, Batman: The Killing Joke takes a journey into the dark psyche of the Clown Prince of Crime – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comedian to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Years later, and now escaped from Arkham Asylum, The Joker devises a plan to prove that one bad day can make anyone as insane as he is – setting his sights on Commissioner Gordon. It’s up to the Dark Knight to put a stop to The Joker’s latest scheme and save one of Gotham City’s finest. Following a gripping prologue introducing Barbara Gordon’s heroic adventures alongside Batman as Batgirl, Batman: The Killing Joke stays true to the authentic tale that has held fans’ imaginations for nearly three decades – spotlighting the birth of a Super-Villain, the fortitude of a Super Hero and the punchline that will leave you speechless.

In addition to Conroy and Hamill, the feature also stars the voices of Tara Strong (Teen Titans; Batman: Arkham games) as Barbara Gordon and Ray Wise (Twin Peaks, RoboCop) as Commissioner Gordon. Sam Register and Bruce Timm are executive producers. Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan (The Dark Knight films, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice) are executive producers. Alan Burnett serves as co-producer.

“Fathom Events is thrilled to be able to bring ‘Batman: The Killing Joke’ to movie theaters across the country so fans can see it on the big screen,” Fathom Events Vice President of Studio Relations Tom Lucas said. “Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment have created an amazing production based on a beloved graphic novel, and we’re honored to be a part of this release.”

“Fans have been clamoring for a theatrical release of the popular DC Universe Original Movies, and the highly anticipated ‘Batman: The Killing Joke’ presented a perfect opportunity to work with Fathom Events to bring the fans’ wishes to fruition for this special, limited release,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Interesting. I may see this in the theaters if there is a showing at my local theater.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

So the special introduction by Mark Hamill and the documentary of his casting will be the theater exclusive and not part of the Blu-Rays/DVDs? Because, in my opinion, the world "exclusive" nowadays doesn't mean what it used to anymore.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Wouldn't a limited release be a better opinion?

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The animation looks so bad, but I might see it anyway because I'm a sucker

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This movie looks pretty awesome I can't wait to see it. I'll probably go see it in theaters.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

Why not show it in theaters like any movie? I bet it would do incredible

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

#7  Edited By mantequilla

@apokos7: I hope this is one of those time "exclusive" doesnt actually means it and they include those in the DVD; but I am optimistic as in the actual and official description you dont see the word 'exclusive' anywhere, it is just in G-man's introduction to the article but I hope he can clarify this

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
    RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So excited for this!! I go to the Fathom events for Rifftrax all the time and they are always fun. This was the first trade I ever bought, so I can't wait!

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my birthday!!! AAAAHHH!!! :D

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

My god, yes. YES!

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long is it..?? That would tell whether this is worth the theatre treatment or not..

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheSpoiler

I was able to excuse the awful & lazy looking animation before when it was just meant to be direct to video (even if DC's previous animated stuff looked a lot better), but there's no reason it should look like this if they want it to be in theaters, even if it's only for a night.

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want to see this so bad

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

so cool :)

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Looking forward to this, hope that it'll be showing at a theatre near me

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This'll be better than BvS sadly that's not saying much.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Once again I feel hopelessly excluded by marketing campaigns as a non-American.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They better have improved the animation since the last trailer if they plan on doing a theatrical release, even if it is for one night.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I have big doubts that my mall won't show this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.