Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman Post-Crisis First Appearances Question

Vangidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've just started reading Batman post crisis, coming to a close on Batman: Year One. I've found a lot of lists for best Batman stories to read as well as several that list issues chronologically. I'm a stickler for continuity (I don't want to read "The Long Halloween" and have Batman talking with characters like Poison Ivy as if they know each other) but not such a stickler that I'm willing to collect to completion and shell out approximately $100 dollars for TPBs like Batman: Shaman for example.

Explanation of my situation out of the way, I'd appreciate if people either had a link to a list or could provide from their own knowledge some of the first appearances of Batman characters, particularly iconic villains, so that I can be as complete about this as possible before jumping into the most suggested Batman stories.

The ones I think I have right so far are below (corrections if any are appreciated):

Batman - Year One (duh xP)

Robin (Dick Grayson) - Robin: Year One (I think Dick appears in The Gauntlet or maybe Dark Victory before this)

Batgirl (Barbara) - Batgirl: Year One

Nightwing - Nightwing: Year One

Jason Todd - Nightwing: Year One

Tim Drake - Robin: A Hero Reborn

Joker - The Man Who Laughs

Hugo Strange - First appearance I think is The Monster Men, but I'm not sure how necessary it is as I think his first villain appearance is Batman: Prey (what am I missing if I skip to this?)

Two-Face - The Long Halloween

Scarecrow/Poison Ivy/Riddler/Man-bat - Four of a Kind

Freeze - Batman: Snow

Azrael - Batman: Sword of Azrael

Bane - Knightfall

- Venom (not a character but good pre-reading for Knightfall) - Batman: Venom

Vangidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Vangidae

Maybe this will be easier to start with by adding some specific character questions.

- When is Black Mask's first major appearance? I think he's first seen briefly post-crisis in Batman: The Last Arkham, but don't know where else to look.

- Where is Killer Croc's first appearance? It looks like he makes a few appearances in some of the must-read titles like Knightfall and Hush so I'd like to read a little on his first encounters beforehand.

- When does Barbara (Gordon's niece) first appear or receive mention? I don't think she was around in Year One but she's mentioned off hand in The Man Who Laughs and apparently shows up in Haunted Knight.

- Where's Harvey Bullock show up? I'll probably stumble upon him eventually, I've only read up to The Man Who Laughs and have more on the way, but all I can find on him chronologically at the moment is major events like Cataclysm, so I know he's there, just don't know his first show.

- Is Solomon Grundy's first appearance in the Batman series from The Long Halloween? I think Green Lantern fights him earlier than this but I don't know if Batman already knows about him or not.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@vangidae: interresting list

For Bane I would be more specific and say "Vengeance of Bane" event if this story/book is included in the new Knightfall Books.

You are missing a few main vilains :

• Mad Hatter : would it be in Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
    • Professor Pig : I think it's in Batman and Robin (by Morrison)
    • Man Bat: The Darkest Night of the Man-Bat maybe ?
    • Harley Quinn: Should Mad Love count ?
    • what about the multiple Clayfaces ?
    • Bat-mite: Legend of the Dark Mite ?
    • Catwoman: ???

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.