Bat Panther!?

Avatar image for hushofthewind
#1 Posted by HushoftheWind (1299 posts) - - Show Bio
2859864-batwing_new_look.jpg

So apparently David is "quitting" in a future Batwing title, so who is this guy? And where the hell are the WINGS!?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6732 posts) - - Show Bio

@HushoftheWind:I don't know who he is, but isn't it kinda weird to replace such a new character? If they're getting bored of him, why not just cancel the series? It doesn't sell well.

I don't actually read it. I hear it's pretty awful.

Avatar image for teerack
#3 Posted by Teerack (10230 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cooler in my opinion.

Avatar image for roboadmiral
#4 Posted by roboadmiral (577 posts) - - Show Bio

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6732 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral: What I don't get is how he got his own series so quickly. I think he only appeared in two issues before getting the New 52, so maybe being untested/unproven is why his series isn't selling well.

Avatar image for roboadmiral
#6 Posted by roboadmiral (577 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

Avatar image for AssertingValor
#7 Posted by AssertingValor (7663 posts) - - Show Bio

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6732 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

That does sound like a recipe for a slow seller.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6732 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordMaverick said:

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

Isn't the cape kind of important though?

I've always thought the cape was there to represent the wings of the bat. Some people call bats,'rats with wings', so without the cape, wouldn't he just be Ratman?

Avatar image for nightwing4
#10 Posted by Nightwing4 (395 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure the suit includes some wings that fold in when not in use, like in Batman Beyond. Otherwise he wouldn't be Batwing, he'd be Batarmor.

Avatar image for aronmorales
#11 Posted by Aronmorales (9735 posts) - - Show Bio

Gee that looks cool!

Avatar image for fatihbatman
#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

....looks like a crossover between ironman, and bats.. lol :D

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (17713 posts) - - Show Bio

The new costume may appear cooler but it's bland realistically speaking,he looks like a Batrobot instead of an actual person.

Avatar image for longbowhunter
#14 Posted by longbowhunter (9359 posts) - - Show Bio

I always hated how he was the Batman of Africa. Really one superhero for a whole continent full of horrors? Get this man some help instead of a new suit.

Avatar image for the_soverighn
#15 Posted by The_Soverighn (2116 posts) - - Show Bio

properly still david

Avatar image for batshrine
#16 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

Avatar image for truemarvel
#17 Edited by TrueMarvel (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

Avatar image for roboadmiral
#18 Posted by roboadmiral (577 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@roboadmiral said:

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

I hope you'll forgive me for not finding that a terribly compelling reason. If a character has a book it should be because it's a book worth reading and for no other. Beyond that I really don't care and from what I've seen of Batwing it seems to be a pretty meh cash-in on Batman's brand recognition.

Avatar image for muyjingo
#19 Posted by MuyJingo (2859 posts) - - Show Bio

@TrueMarvel said:

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

Actually it would have been impossible. The Wayne fortune could not have been built while so much racism and slavery was going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.