Follow

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Movie » Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice released on March 25, 2016.

Gotham City-based vigilante Batman travels to Metropolis to preemptively combat Superman, fearing what would happen if the latter is kept unchecked, while another threat endangers humankind.

How do you think kryptonite will affect Superman?

Denko069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How do you think kryptonite will affect Superman? Like in Superman Returns that he would just lose his powers by the exposure and become vulnerable or like in Smallville (for example) where he was in such pain that he couldn't even stand up? Or something between?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the latest trailer I'd say that kryptonite in BvS will work much like the atmospheric difference worked in the kryptonian mother ship. Only not so extreme to the point where he'll lose all his power, but get it reduced to really low levels.

That became quite clear when Supes was gonna puch Batman and Bats blocks the attack. The surprise look on Superman face said it all. He wasn't in pain and backing away like he just got poisoned, like in the Christopher Reeve version.

I'd say the green K will work much like gold K did in the comics. With of course the differences I already pointed out.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What I think is that a rock of kryptonite will make him so weak that he can't even move because in one of the Batman V Superman trailers, Superman was on his knees in front of Lex. But small amounts of it will make him weaker, probably why Batman could match his speed.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator

Make his dick slide off.

They edited Batman in the trailers, what he's actually saying is 'it's time you learned what it means... to be a woman.'

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mrnoital

I think it'll weaken him and allow batman to fight him, but he won't be helpless

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rukus4ever

Well, now we know that there was an inconsistent effect to Superman based on whatever the plot needed, at that moment.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Well, now we know that there was an inconsistent effect to Superman based on whatever the plot needed, at that moment.

I am not so sure thats true, like how was it depicted?

• Lex uses it to cut off Zod's fingertip skin for the prints, while they explain that direct contact results in 'cell death', which seemed to be like acid.
    • Superman grew weaker the closer he was to a substancial amount of Kryptonite, could be cut with it (so the effect is the same on both living and dead Kryptonian tissue).
    • Reduced to around human levels if inhaled as gas, but his body quickly burns it out and he returns to normal.

In a way Kryptonite is perhaps like... eating a strong cheese, the taste is much stronger if you eat it grated than if you ate it as a slice due to the amount of cheese going on your tastebuds. Kryptonite seems to work in a similar way; when it's gas it seems more potent because more of the powder gets into contact with Superman than say the spear did, but it burns out quicker because Superman's metabolism deals with it... same way we deal with alcohol, only much faster.

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85

1) Superman inhales Kr and recovers from Kr inside his body in a couple minutes.

2) Superman inhales Kr again and does not recover in a couple minutes.

3) Superman was helpless when Batman had the Kr spear in front of him.

4) Superman couldn't swim back to the pool's surface when next to the Kr spear.

5) Five minutes following the incident described in #2, he's both flying and fighting Doomsday while holding the Kr spear.

I count that as inconsistent. The comparison of both #4 and #5 is poignant since those two incidents share almost the exact same setup and status of Superman's health. Yet, the results are vastly different.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Chimeroid

@rukus4ever: wow. You just go around insulting the movie. Anyhow. Difference was in his mindset. Superman has ALWAYS been able to fight the kryptonite effect when it was important enough and he was giving his all. Literally in every major K-nite story it went like that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85

1) Superman inhales Kr and recovers from Kr inside his body in a couple minutes.

2) Superman inhales Kr again and does not recover in a couple minutes.

3) Superman was helpless when Batman had the Kr spear in front of him.

4) Superman couldn't swim back to the pool's surface when next to the Kr spear.

5) Five minutes following the incident described in #2, he's both flying and fighting Doomsday while holding the Kr spear.

I count that as inconsistent. The comparison of both #4 and #5 is poignant since those two incidents share almost the exact same setup and status of Superman's health. Yet, the results are vastly different.

1. First dose?
    2. Second dose? I imagine he was still somewhat affected by the first one.
    3. Yes, after getting dosed twice in gas, punched up and dropped several stories before getting introduced to it.
    4. I'm struggling to remember, but that pool was rather deep (hence why Lois threw it in there) and getting close to it may have knocked the air out of Supes.
    5. While using what remained of his strength, much like standing under the World Engine in MoS took real effort for him. It's probably the proximity of the spear Doomsday was also able to repay the effort like he did.

It is however ignoring that one was under water and Superman is not a fish :)

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85

If he had problems in #4 then #5 should not have been possible. If he can accomplish #5, then he should not have had issues in #4 and possibly also #3.

That's where I stand with that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85

If he had problems in #4 then #5 should not have been possible. If he can accomplish #5, then he should not have had issues in #4 and possibly also #3.

Your argument hangs quite a lot on 4, which was in a different enviroment than the other two simply from being under water.

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukus4ever said:

@outside_85

Your argument hangs quite a lot on 4, which was in a different enviroment than the other two simply from being under water.

Agree to disagree.

GXrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they depcit it is that it weakens and reduces his power levels. After Clark inhales it, he doesn't get incapaciated. He just loses his powers.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

What? How??????

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rukus4ever

@rukus4ever said:

What? How??????

It's my interpretation. See my previous posts on this page.

At any rate, as @gxrevolution has stated, for the general case, he is quite resistant to kryptonite in the DCEU.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.