k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Batman and Robin. Those three words mean something different to all of us. Some of you may think of Batman and Tim Drake. Others may think of Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne. Some may even think of the classic TV show. But if you're talking about Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's take on those three words, it's all about one thing: the powerful bond between a father and his son. This creative team's opening arc, "Born to Kill," tested the relationship between these two Waynes and pushed them both into very dark and violent situations. Now, their last issue of this series (Tomasi still has one annual left, but it's not with Gleason) is here and it shows how much the father-son dynamic (duo) has changed.

Look, we're all confident Damian won't keep the powers forever and that was blatantly implied in the previous issue (you really didn't think so, right?), but just because you're certain Damian will lose them doesn't take away from how it all happens. What starts as a seemingly standard yet enjoyable action sequence quickly turns into something far more sincere, touching, and appropriately lighthearted. The story ends on a note that will make any longtime fan of the series smile, too. Seriously, it's four pages that'll just remind you of all their history together and allow you to really appreciate the situation they're currently in. It's not often something like that happens, but it's well-earned in this case. It's such an appropriate and fun way to end this creative team's time with the series.

It should really come as no surprise by now that the art team does an astonishing job bringing Damian to life. He has such a big personality and they're able to capture it perfectly. There's at least three moments in here where Tomasi lets the art sell the laughs and Gleason, Mick Gray, and John Kalisz definitely deliver. Their handling of the angles and character work in the final four pages is what really allows that moment to shine, too. Even if Tomasi laid out how he wants each shot, they're still able to elevate those moments and make it feel every bit as cinematic as it should. Man, I really love that ending. After all they've been through, they deserve it.

The Bad

Aquaman's on the cover but he isn't in the comic. Automatic 0-star rating! But seriously, I loved this chapter. My only noteworthy criticism of the art is there's one panel of Billy Batson in which he looks downright sinister. I get he's pumped and anxious to rush into action and do some damage -- the brow and mouth make that crystal clear -- but the eyes seem evil. I think it's because of the heavy shading. There's another "Billy and Damian" panel which makes up for that and then some, though.

The Verdict

Tomasi and Gleason's BATMAN AND ROBIN entered my life with a dramatic, gripping, and emotional story. Now, it's leaving with a fun and moving story that focuses 100% on the father-son dynamic. I'm guessing readers not all that passionate about Damian probably won't enjoy this one as much as I did, but as someone who's been with the series since the very first issue, I can't help but feel like this is an amazing way to conclude the creative team's time with the two heroes. It hits us with just enough explosive action, there's solid laughs that'll fill you with happiness, and there's a great deal of heart. This isn't a big or epic conclusion -- it's all about their relationship and that's what this series was all about. This Damian fan is very happy and it was refreshing to read such a positive and uplifting comic. There wasn't any forced drama or conflict. Instead, it's about a boy who wants to impress his father by doing the best he can, and a father who wants nothing more than to see his son happy. Thanks for the good times, BATMAN AND ROBIN.

Oh, and the world needs a Damian and Billy Batson team-up issue. Just saying.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loved this issue, so sad the series is ending!

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: This is the final issue,I believe.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solomongrundysm: That's a shame I really enjoyed this Batman series. What's the reasoning?

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: It could be because Damian is getting his own series post Convergence..

SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: It's spinning off into a Damian solo book with the same creative team, iirc.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've enjoyed this creative team but for some reason the eyes just look weird sometimes. most of the time they look fine, but other times the eyes are overly shadowed and the colours look reversed. On the cover Superman's iris is white and the rest of his eyeball is black, it looks creepy. Also, not only does Aquaman show up on the cover and not in the comic, Wonder Woman shows up out of nowhere to do absolutely nothing in the story. I've also got a few more problems with some of the artistic choices near the beginning, but they're fairly small. Plus I'd rather have a great story and some questionable art choices than a bad story and great art. Definitely worth the $2.99

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Yep, it's getting replaced by Robin, Son of Batman, which will be written and drawn by Patrick Gleason, so at least we still get to keep the excellent art :)

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@solomongrundysm: Wait, what?! But I just subscribed to it. What's going to happen to the rest of my $25?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: I love Gleason's art, I hope he writes it as well as the previous author has.

Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: No problem! Most likely he'll appear in it, but probably not be a BIG part of the new series..

QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Me too! Have you read anything written by Gleason?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: Hmmm... I'm not sure, I read B&R up to Annual 1 issue.

@starscream_vs_you: I love Damian, but I don't know if I'd read a series of just him, you know? But I hope you're right.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dang it, DC is ending one of its best titles. Very few teams and the titles they helm have been as breathtakinginly consistent as this one. Seriously, one of New 52s top 5 titles. The last 4 pages really tied a perfect bow on this series.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A Damian solo book?!

Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: I agree I have love for Damian too but just don't think a solo series is something I would read regularly...

SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_average_bear: yea,this title has been fantastic to me and this book just put a smile on my face reading it.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

2/5 stars

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I loved this issue... The sad thing is Damian's paiting doesnt include Jason. 5/5

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series was awesomely heart touching with fun action. The ending was perfect.

This has consistently been I think, the best series in the N52, with the pre-Finch WW run being a close second.

Sad to see it go.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt that the way they got rid of his powers was sort of a cop put unless they are going to resurface again somehow.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Smiling Batman on the cover.

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katzman always gives glowing reviews of any (sometimes mediocre) issue featuring Superman...

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo:

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

rob1157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss this book. And the last few pages was perfect. What a awesome run. 4/5 STARS.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@_nox_: Have to agree with you there. That just smacks of "future storyline," not that that's necessarily a bad thing mind you.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@sternfan99 said:

Katzman always gives glowing reviews of any (sometimes mediocre) issue featuring Superman...

Pretty random comment since the word "Superman" isn't even used once in this review and my praise for this issue has literally nothing to do with him.

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

LOL, sure pal, whatever you say.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 k4tzm4n  Moderator
    mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those last pages were perfect. This series has not disappointed, so sad it is ending. I'm going to miss the father son dynamic. Excellent issue and review!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Those last pages were perfect. This series has not disappointed, so sad it is ending. I'm going to miss the father son dynamic. Excellent issue and review!

Thanks, mak! And yeah, really glad to see so many of you loved the ending, too.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hugebone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy molly! What an issue! What a run! Basically, with my brief knowledge of comics, this is probably my favorite run in all of comics history. I almost cried at the end like I did in issue 18. The mirroring was perfect. Perfect ending.

hugebone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solomongrundysm said:

@ccraft: It's spinning off into a Damian solo book with the same creative team, iirc.

Almost the same. Tomasi is not returning.

scarspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By scarspider

So messed up that Jason Todd isn't in the family portrait. Jason has more than redeemed himself, put his life on the line in Batman Eternal and going to Apokolips to save Damian. Damian could have at least put him in when he finished the painting. Just sayin.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just echoing what everyone else said, that I am gonna miss this series so much; but at least Gleason will continue drawing Damian, just hoping he can write him as well!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series should not end, it's selling well too.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wasn't the biggest fan of this arc. I think Damian getting superpowers is a fantastic idea and could make for some great storytelling potential. But the entire plot seemed rushed through and without much purpose. Of course it's great to see Damian back, but I don't think these past three issues have given me much else to get excited about.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Guerraa

Great review! I agree with almost everything said in the review and most of the comments on here about how great this series was. As a father of two sons myself that has ups and downs with my boys, I always appreciated the relationship roller coaster between Bruce and Damian in this series. The Batman and Robin dynamic just added to the complexity of the relationship. I'm going to miss this series so much. It was my favorite in all of comics. That issue #18 was so awesome. The Nobody arc to start the series was amazing. I'll be a Peter Tomasi fan for life because of this series. Thank you to some of the users that posted their feelings of this series. I thought maybe I was the only one that felt the way some of you guys felt, but it was great to read that there are others that felt the same way. Goodbye to what was, in my strong opinion, the best comic book out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.