Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5077 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

The Flash's Infinite Mass Punch and its feasibility

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kadeem

No Caption Provided
    The Flash's infinite mass punch is an interesting concept, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the physics behind it has any sort of truth basis (at least theoretically), or is it just completely made up?
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

To me, its pretty much the same as Iceman hitting absolute zero. 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @SC: Not going to happen?
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " @SC: Not going to happen? "

Sounds cool, and easy enough relatively for the characters, in extreme situations, with some scientific logic behind it, and probably therefore rather relaxed application of use in comics, but if actually accurately depicted as one would expect... the build up, the effect and the consequences would or should be a lot different from what we actually get. Like I said though... sounds cool, so would probably read cool. lol
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @SC: I believe that Iceman should not be able to reach Absolute Zero, because that's when atoms stop moving. And what will be the point if he can't move.

The Flash idea, realistically not possible. With the help of the Speed Force, which reality doesn't have, and if it does some one please, point me in the right direction. :D
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Supreme Marvel: Yes lol, you should believe that. It might also rip apart the Earth as well. Speed Force would need to have some extreme absolute quality with how it buffers negative effects. 
    allhaildoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By allhaildoom

No its not feasible at all because physics simply doesn't work like that,  and neither does chemistry

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

The only way I could see it justifiable if DC wanted to amp up the science aspect, is if they made Flash a high end reality warper lol which could be funny for a few issues... oh and I wish they would clarify the whole faster than thought thing too... 

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kadeem
    @allhaildoom said:

" No its not feasible at all because physics simply doesn't work like that,  and neither does chemistry "

That's interesting, do you have any idea how they could explain The Flash's powers in a more feasible way?
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Jotham

Well, supposedly when the Flash approaches light speed, his mass increases. Which, as mentioned, would probably tear the planet apart. It would be like a black hole suddenly appearing on the surface of the Earth. Of course, time would also slow down for him. But I thought the whole point of making a "speed force" was so he wouldn't be subject to realistic effects of moving at super speeds, if they're going to make this happen, why not make his body burn up from the friction of the air?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

I believe technically, Flash could actually Infinity Mass Spit at people too. He should carry around small metal ball bearings, load up his mouth and go around killing well, all bad guys. Infinite Mass Spit would be unstoppable. Speed Force would prevent break up and maintain cohesion of the infinite mass of spit coated ball, and anything thats infinite mass, going that fast, will do some absolute dead damage to anyone doesn't have huge holes in their body or head, but I mean, no character like that would ever be made. 

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Jotham
    @SC said:
    " I believe technically, Flash could actually Infinity Mass Spit at people too. He should carry around small metal ball bearings, load up his mouth and go around killing well, all bad guys. Infinite Mass Spit would be unstoppable. Speed Force would prevent break up and maintain cohesion of the infinite mass of spit coated ball, and anything thats infinite mass, going that fast, will do some absolute dead damage to anyone doesn't have huge holes in their body or head, but I mean, no character like that would ever be made.  "
    If you were writing Flash comics, I would actually read them.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEGRAAF

i would say no. I'm guessing here but wouldnt it be a simple (simple to some, not to me) math problem? The mass of the projectile (his fist and body) multiplied by the speed at which it is moving (near or at the speed of light) equals the amount of force or something like that? So while i think he can get a large (and i mean very very very large) amount of force behind his punch, i dont htink he would ever reach the infinity mark. Just imagine something that i would guess weighs roughly 5 pounds moving at the speed of light exactly at your face. It would cleanly take your head off with out you even feeling it most likely.

I've just been looking up information about the mathmatics and all i can say is im glad im not in school anymore. Instead here is a  
    wiki-link to give you an idea. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_(mechanics
    allhaildoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By allhaildoom
    @kadeem: The first part wich ruins every thing is the density of the human, technically the faster something is going the more force is behind it, but if you punch something like steel going close to light speed you'll shatter all the bones in your arm. 
      The second part is trying to moving around objects because turning at light speed would  e impossible its like a car going going 100 miles per hour and turning suddenly.
    idukid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By idukid
    @kadeem: 
    IMP is a bad way to call it Its more of a Infinite Kinetic Energy Punch.    

The formula for Energy is:
    E (energy) =  γ(next equation called the Lorentz factor)  * m(mass) * c(speed of light) ^ 2 

γ    = 1 / square root( 1 - v(speed)^2/c^2 )   

As v aproaches c   γ   gers closer to infinity  
    1 assume c=3 and v=2.9  then γ=3.905667
    2 assume c=3 and v=2.99  then γ=12.25767
    3 assume c=3 and v=2.999 then γ=38.73306
    4 assume c=3 and v=2.9999 then γ=122.4755 
    5 assume c=3 and v=3 then γ=infinity    

therefore making the kinetic energy infinity    

It seems as though the mass hitting you is infinite but its just the energy.

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kadeem
    @idukid: Yeah thanks for that. I had a hard time understanding how the speed of an object could affect the amount of mass in an object, but if we look at the IMP in tearms of kinetic energy rather than mass it makes so much more sense.
    Sup3rhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sup3rhulk

It's just a name he doesn't actually reach the "infinite" mass mark it just seems like it is infinite mass because he builds enough momentum to augment his punch enough to knock the target a continent away. velocity=intensity more speed=more force, his only problem is his body is put under high levels of stress and if he moves fast enough he will eventually start to burn he just can't reach that speed without killing himself anyway

Sup3rhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

besides if his mass gets to a certain point he can't run making him an easy target and a liability to the team plus he'd have to pick up the extra mass from somewhere

Andy_Rancid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sup3rhulk: Untrue. DCU is not very consistent. It is shown at one point that he is able to vastly exceed the speed of light (which enables him to move freely between universes and dimensions. The Speed Force allows him the ability to run at such speeds anywhere without damaging neither him nor the environment like he realistically should. It acts like a force shield, containing the force he creates within him. As for the Infinite Mass Punch, it allows him to gain the mass of a white dwarf star, one of the most dense objects in the universe. By the laws of Physics, yes, he should not be able to move that fast nor gain that much mass or hit someone and they or the area survive. But since he can move fast enough to travel inter-dimensionally, it is safe to assume the laws of Quantum Mechanics has some part in his abilities. If you know a little about Quantum Mechanics, than you should know the theories don't always correlate with Reality; which justifies his abilities, since Much of DCU's logic is based on both principles of Magic, theories of Quantum, and beliefs of Theology. Very inconsistent.

AliusUmbra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AliusUmbra

How about Infinite Mass Ejaculate?

Avatar image for robertoangelguzman
    RobertoAngelGuzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If one were in reality able to move such speeds as close to the speed of light then, yes it would be possible for such a thing to happen because with enough speed you would be able to generate enough momentum to pull it off

multiAQWorlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By multiAQWorlds

It is a very simple concept. Relativity.

First, we realize in order to accelerate an object, we need to overcome it's inertia (mass) If it is not overcome, the object will not accelerate. Inertia is directly proportional to mass. Thus, as inertia increases, mass increases.

Second, we must establish the rule that nothing can exceed the speed of light. So this means that as you approach the speed of light - or match it - You can try to accelerate as much as you want but you will not because the inertia is not being overcome as it is exponentially increasing. Thus so is your mass.

This is seen through the equation (Momentum/Mass = Velocity) where velocity is constant.

This leads to a possibility to achieve Infinite Mass. And if all that mass at such a velocity is all shot at one place, that is a lot of force.

There is also relative mass, but that involves more special relativity, which is fun, but not when writing it down.

Here is your brief and simple explanation.

How do I know? Well, I take physics. If I am wrong in anyway, Hit me.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is true that at light speed velocity is infinite, but speed isn't so therefore mass must be

Theanalyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theoretically such force would just kill everyone on impact including flash, so im just going to kindly assume that flash does not do punches near the speed of light

OkPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Acording to the theory of relativity he is infinitly strong when he does it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.