Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4181 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

NYCC 2014: Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr on BATGIRL's New Direction

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Meh just read new issue of Batgirl this week. Not gonna lie that I don't like it. The tone of this book fits with Stephanie Brown. Not Barbara Gordon. Sorry but that is my opinion

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I love Babs Tarr!

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I thought the first issue was a lot of fun and surprisingly dense too.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Oracle.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bl00dwerK

Glad I don't read...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the issue but I haven't read it yet.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don't like this direction either. Just doesn't appeal to me at all. Read the issue and it felt far too tween for my tastes. I gave it a shot

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ARGGGGH! I'm still mad I forgot to buy this. Can't wait to read though, I have been so excited for this comic. Glad to see the writers put a lot of thought into who Batgirl is and what's happened to her. I'm also happy to see them respect the previous run, since a lot of times new creative teams will move on and completely forget what the previous team did.

Also even though I haven't gotten the comic, from what I have seen I already absolutely love Babs Tarr's art, I can't believe I had never heard of her before.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About a year or so ago, DC rudely kicked Simone off Batgirl. With the help of her fans, she was put back on within a week, much to DC's embarrassment. Fans cheered. Now, what? Did she just leave? No last hurrah? I saw no news on her departure, nor anybody caring. What happened to the uproar from before?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crashbang: Writers don't stay on books forever, her time ended and a lot of people like this new direction, it's not a big deal.

@boynerdgeek: Actually is very much is Barbra Gordon, you should watch this

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crashbang: I think she's moving on to Secret Six.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I think my thoughts on Batgirl #35 have been posted on CV enough, so no need to keep repeating myself. I enjoyed it immensely.

By the way , don't feel sorry for Gail Simone, she has been on Batgirl for 3 years which is more than a fair shot and she's going back to the Secret Six which is a team Gail has always said that she's enjoyed writing.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@captainmarvel4ever: Barbara Gordon is year one is different from Barbara Gordon when she is adult. Yup in New 52 Barbara Gordon is like this is exactly Oracle but imagine if she can walk back and become Batgirl. I know this because I read Birds of Prey pre new 52. Also worth mention not everyone of people like this new Batgirl direction. It is mix feelings about this the same way Man of Steel movie is

Devbob98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This new writer and artist ruined what I liked about the batgirl series.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@devbob98: yup agree. Barbara Gordon taking selfie and all of this kind of things. If Stephanie Brown Batgirl then it fits the character perfectly. Also doesn't make sense in continuity terms because in Batgirl new 52 run and Batman Eternal , Barbara Gordon is kick ass, smart and awesome

Devbob98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: exactly doesn't fit with batgirl in the new 52 and eternal

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devbob98: also Barbara have big family problem like she has crazy and insane brother name James Gordon Jr. So imagine if James Gordon Jr. come to this new direction book. Wow what a mess and disaster it will be

Devbob98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devbob98

@boynerdgeek: all true, don't worry though they can't make a serial killer friendly, in futures end batgirl james jr is still a nut.

KingsCastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the new issue of Batgirl. I really love the new direction a lot. I think the new creative team is doing a fantastic job. :-D

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@kingscastle: just imagine if James Gordon Jr show up in this book. Wow what a mess and disaster it will be. This book can't be this tone forever because Barbara have some conflict with his crazy and yet insane brother name James Gordon Jr

BlueBooster96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue and am definitely excited for this new direction

@boynerdgeek: we don't have to imagine James Jr. coming back nor does he have to, his coming back can wait till this run is over. Also anyone claiming Barabara taking selfies is out of character needs to read the issue, cuz she didn't take one at all, it's just on the cover. And she does not act like a fourteen year old or stephanie brown in the issue, just because her costume isn't what it used to be and the art is fun and the cover shows her taking a selfie doesn't mean she's being portrayed as a different character.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Thought it was a good issue with Barbara acting her age (21) and with a sense of fun and brightness that's been sorely lacking from Simone's run.

@kingscastle: just imagine if James Gordon Jr show up in this book. Wow what a mess and disaster it will be. This book can't be this tone forever because Barbara have some conflict with his crazy and yet insane brother name James Gordon Jr

We could also imagine Jr getting ripped apart by a pack of rabid dogs, but that doesn't mean its going to happen... though I kinda wish it did since Jr doesn't really add anything.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@bluebooster96: @outside_85: seriously have you guys read Oracle/Barbara Gordon during pre new 52 Birds of Prey ? I don't mind fun stuff but do it with characters who is fits with the personality. Clearly in Batman Eternal Barbara is more awesome and kick ass then this new direction. Yup Barbara Gordon is fun when her in Batgirl early years for example year one but remember during after Alan Moore Killing Joke The Joker shot her , she evolve into different personality. Now almost more than 30++ years that is Barbara Gordon character. She will never be the fun Batgirl because DC introduce new character name Stephanie Brown to be that fun Batgirl

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Well we have Flashpoint to thank for not having to consider how Babs (or more accurately: Oracle) was previously, because now it never happened, and for shaving several years off her age.

Yes, I am aware she was still (apparently) shot and paralysed for a time, but unlike how things turned out post-KJ, New 52 Barbara did not collapse into a pit of misery that allowed her to be reborn, so to speak. She was shot in the New 52 and it haunts her, but she got over it and continued in the same track as before.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: that is very dark story when you think about it when Joker shot Barbara. This also prove that this Barbara Gordon life will never be the same as Barbara Gordon in Batgirl year one (when she is fun). Like I said if you want to do this kind of stuff with Batgirl book then Stephanie Brown is perfect for this book. You know Stephanie Brown Batgirl is most beloved Batgirl just before New 52 reboot. Stephanie Brown is the fun batgirl

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: And... unsurprisingly... DC wanted Barbara to be the fun Batgirl. In fact they want her to be the only Batgirl, hence why Steph can now, hopefully, be fun as Spoiler. Back when she was shot, DC didn't really care about what happened to her before a bright spark decided making her into Oracle was the way to go. If they had wished otherwise, Babs could have recovered as easily as Bruce later did and have soldiered onwards.

BlueBooster96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlueBooster96

@boynerdgeek: people get over their past and move on, let Barbara do it. She has as much right to be fun and happy as Stephanie Brown does, she wants to forget about her past and move on, that sort of thing isn't completely unheard of. A person who gets shot and survives is forbidden from having fun for the rest of their life? Again most of your criticism actually shows that you haven't read the issue and are just basing your comments off of your perception of what it's like. Barbara does not act like fourteen year old girl having the time of her life. It's just that it's not as dark as what you've been seeing. And it's not the same kind of fun as what Stephanie is described as, read the issue and you'll see that. Replacing Barbara with Stephanie in the plot wouldn't make it better, because this is not in character with her, she may be described as a fun character but that does not mean she would fit in any kind of book meant to be fun.

Sure you're not required to like the book, it may not be your cup of tea but what is the point of convincing people who do like and enjoy this take on Barbara that what you're saying is right?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: and....that is why people upset about this new direction. After more than 30 years after Alan Moore The Killing Joke, Barbara Gordon is this strong serious woman suddenly this new creative makes her completely new and just press the reset button

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluebooster96: again do you read my comment ? I read Batgirl comics. Yes in early year of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl she is fun but after Alan Moore The Killing Joke, Barbara have evolve into different character. A strong woman. Also you have to remember James Gordon Jr now play important part in Barbara Gordon life, She punch Huntress in the face etc. Over the years Barbara Gordon have evolve so makes into this new direction does not makes any sense. Also Barbara Gordon have evolve and become matured. Yes imagine James Gordon Jr. show up in this new direction Batgirl book. Seriously disaster will happen

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Some people are upset, others remember that the old Barbara Gordon Batgirl was nothing like the one Simone wrote.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@outside_85: oh my god ! Do you read that in this continuity Barbara Gordon is actually fun batgirl until Joker shot her. This makes her evolve into become strong woman. Again like I said this Barbara Gordon Batgirl is imagine Oracle but she can walk again and fight crimes. This prove that Barbara Gordon move on to be strong woman. It is still Barbara Gordon, go read Birds of Prey pre new 52

BlueBooster96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlueBooster96

@boynerdgeek: I am not saying you haven't read Batgirl comics, I was saying your comments show that you haven't read the issue that you are criticising. Or James Jr. doesn't show up in Btagirl, why would the new team make him show up without thinking of a good way to do it? What you are trying to say, if I get shot today but manage to survive, I am never to have fun for the rest of my life? I don't know what your idea of fun is but it isn't such a narrow term. Batman can be fun without being out of character, Cassandra Cain can be fun, even Joker can be fun. The fun describing each of these characters would not be the same but they would all be fun in their own ways. And believe me she is portrayed as a strong serious woman in the issue!

If you want to criticise the new direction at least do so with examples from the current issue. What part exactly do you feel is not in sync with Barbara's character? And other than the costume designing part, none of it fits in with Steph's character, unless you can point out for me

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: No, it was Imagine OracIe and it's been rubbish, but then someone at DC reminded them that Oracle never existed in the New 52 and that Barbara got over her injury in a slightly worse condition than most of us would a broken arm.

DC opted for this change for a reason one of them I am pretty sure was that there wasn't really anything to truly make her stand out in comparison to Batwoman, who could kick a lot more ass than Babs, had better writing and art. Now Batwoman has sort of cemented her place as the mystical-themed Bat-character, and now Babs gets to be the bright optimistic one.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The issue was awesome, I can't wait for #36.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InkInk

@bluebooster96: I was a huge hater of this book, without even reading the full issue ( Read a ten page preview) but after giving the issue a shot, I learned of my mistakes. It is a fun book it's just unfortunate that DC released an out of context preview that had Babs acting like a hipster party girl and people ( me included) jumped all over it.

After reading the fill issue, I like the direction and love the addition of Black Canary in the cast. I think she will be cynical to Barbra's new life and it will bring some great comedy to the book.

Sales will be interesting to see, if they capture the Ms. Marvel/Hawkeye crowd or if they lose them with making to many social media references.

BlueBooster96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkink: yeah that's exactly what I was talking about. The preview, cover and almost all other pre-release stuff do not give an accurate description of what's in the book itself. And that's sad because people are hating on it without actually giving it a go. Also the creative team describing it as a fun book is being criticised, it seems to me people have some pre-conceived limited idea of fun and they use that to claim its not in sync with Babs.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@crashbang: She left because of creative differences with the Bat editor at the time. It's too bad that she decided to leave right before Mark Doyle became the new Batman group editor since it seems like he would have given her the creative freedom that she wanted, but that's just the way the timing worked out it would seem.

Besides, she's going another Secret Six book. Since Secret Six was her best work by far, I'm not too saddened by the move.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated that issue. Those stupid friends, the boring story-arch, getting drunk and making out with a weirdo...come on, guys! It's a hero comic book, not a retarted teenager's diary! She's 21, not 14!!

Plus, with everything that's going on in her life, that 'happiness' simply doesn't make sense. Babs had her own way of dealing with her problems without turning into Bruce or even Jason. And she was never that kind of party girl, not even in Batgirl: Year One. If it was a story that took place BEFORE the latest events, I could buy it - not enthusiastically, though. But no, she's been through so many things, so many (amazing) twists...to end up in the lowest rated Bat title :(

At least she's still badass, smart, hot and nice in Batman Eternal. Poor Babs, always taken for granted...

Lythimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I interviewed Babs Tarr a couple weeks ago at APE in San Francisco. She was really humble and great to chat with. I'm sure it was a lot easier to talk to her at APE in stead of the 150000+ people at NYCC.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.