Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4184 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

New Information on DCnU Barbara Gordon

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

So, I was checking my tumblr and I ran across something reblogged from DC Women Kicking Ass (if you have a tumblr, you should be following them) courtesy of Bleeding Cool (who have been a pretty reliable source as of yet) in regards to a bunch of DC revamp info. Among that info was a snippet or two on Barbara Gordon.

Batgirl- Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl. The events of Killing Joke and her tenure as Oracle have occurred and this title addresses her return to the role.

On top of that, was a snippet on Birds of Prey.

Birds of Prey- Barbara Gordon will still be part of the book.

Link to the full article

MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis

Hrm... So, some new regenerative cure to her paralysis? Or perhaps the rumors that the suit will aid her in returning her movement have cred? I'm interested to see where this goes.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar

Clearly it's the venom symbiote!

But seriously, Huntress, god bless you for finding this stuff because I sure as hell don't have the time! lol

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Well that's good news. The Killing Joke is such a huge part of not only Batman continuity but of Joker and Barbara's characterization. I'm glad their finding a loophole instead of just burning it.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By EnSabahNurX

O_O well that is awesome, i am very pleased that they won't remove her past or alter it  ^____^ but won't be reading birds of prey simply because she probably won't be a main character(like before) and the team isn't thrilling me 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCrowbar said:

Clearly it's the venom symbiote! But seriously, Huntress, god bless you for finding this stuff because I sure as hell don't have the time! lol

All credit goes to tumblr and DC Women Kicking Ass. ^__^

@Kal'smahboi said:

Well that's good news. The Killing Joke is such a huge part of not only Batman continuity but of Joker and Barbara's characterization. I'm glad their finding a loophole instead of just burning it.

I'd almost rather them burn it. I was really disappointed with DC's decision to take her out of the chair and was a little more okay with the thought of her never being Oracle, that way it doesn't seem like a step backward as far as the character goes.

I'll wait to pass final judgment until I read the first few issues and see how they handle it. I'm hoping that they go the suit route (kind of like they hinted at in the Birds of Prey television show) instead of just having her be miraculously healed.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By doordoor123
    @The Dark Huntress
    Oh yeah. I also posted this in the morning though.  
    Im glad shes in BOP.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By damswedon

Bleeding Cool got a hold of the FAQ that DC prepared and sent to retailers who couldn’t get to their road show. And let’s just get to the most interesting tidbit:

* Does The New 52 undo events or continuity that I’ve been reading?Some yes, some no. But many of the great stories remain. For example – Batgirl. The Killing Joke still happened and she was Oracle. Now she will go through physical rehabilitation and become a more seasoned and nuanced character because she had these incredible and diverse experiences.

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/7133583433/faq

Babs facepalm
    Babs facepalm

Oh Babs, what are they doing to you and the rest of Team Batgirl? Not only does that go against your own wishes. It also completely goes against everything you've been telling Wendy Harris in the Stephanie Brown Batgirl book (both of whom are believed to be benched). Also Babs has been Oracle for what 10 years in comics-time. Even if she had a new spine it would take years of physio for her to get walking again. I don't care if the suit is some kind of supportive exoskelington, your body has to relearn the basics of walking from scratch.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Samimista

Glad to know history won't be erase for Babs but I'm curious how DC will write this out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.