Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

What you probably don't know about Bane.

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

This is only an insight look, in no way am I demoralizing or saying that my theories are facts.

One could only fear of what world Bane would grow up within a hellish prison.
    One could only fear of what world Bane would grow up within a hellish prison.

Bane's hellish history

Best way to define a man like Bane is to strongly focus on his origin. Born and raised within the harshest and fictional prison of Santa Prisca, DC would successfully express Banes character as a man who was raised within humanities own hellish nightmare. As a child, it was said that Bane spent most of his young life surviving and doing everything he can on not becoming a victim for the other inmates. Unlike other children who were raised under the guidance of an adult or guardian, Bane was basically on his own throughout most of his entire life. So it’s quite understandable that at such a young age, Bane would sadly learn how to kill. Yet that wasn’t the only thing that Bane learned as he self-taught himself with the available literature within the prison.

Not only did Bane dedicate himself into whatever knowledge he could acquire, but also kept his physique in absolute perfect condition throughout his adulthood. His whole life was about survival and facing his worst fears, and nothing else. But as Bane found himself literally becoming the most powerful prisoner, there was one thing that did managed to haunt Bane for a long time, which were the mythical stories of a monstrous Batman that he heard from other prisoners.

Feeling that fear was a weakness that could cost Bane his life, it was after his escape that he fully dedicated himself into hunting this monster within Gotham City. From there on, Bane managed to fulfill his goals with all the knowledge he gained and managed to do what no other man could, which was breaking the Batman.

Bane was a child who paid for the crimes committed by his father, known as King Snake.
    Bane was a child who paid for the crimes committed by his father, known as King Snake.

So that history of Bane is probably the best way to help understand what kind of villain Bane truly is. But, when I say a Batman villain, is he really the Bat-villain that we all describe him as?

First off, you’ll notice that he had what was completely the opposite of a childhood. By the time Bane should’ve been in Elementary School, the kid was already stabbing an inmate to death. It was like that all the way through his entire childhood and that a great portion of his life was all dedicated towards his own survival. Only knowledge he knows is from the books that were kept within the prison. But even though he is a self-educated man, I see Bane as man who hasn’t gained a personality that was properly developed.

Why the Batman?

Going more inside the mind of Bane, I wondered why the Batman? Why go through great lengths to take down the man and let him live?

Last question was mind-boggling at first because of the fact that Bane gained a history of killing and letting the man who's known to be his own worst fears live with a broken back that me wonder about Bane’s character.

But after reading about Sigmund Freud’s theories on sexual psychology, I was surprised how I found a very strong connection between Bane and Batman, and more about Bane’s character as well.

The one thing that I could find which would probably come close in showing how harsh Banes life was.
    The one thing that I could find which would probably come close in showing how harsh Banes life was.

Let’s put it this way, currently Secret Six showed us more about Bane’s character when we saw him displaying an awkward reaction towards women. It’s true that we haven’t seen Bane with another female or successfully carry out some form of a relationship or affection with another. But psychology has proved that most of the human population has displayed expression of sexual urges while developing their own personality, but some hasn’t grown to develop these traits normally (meaning that some people find sexual satisfaction through other and abnormal means). So exactly how does this tie into Bane?

It’s quite simple when looking into his history. From what I’ve managed to discover, is that he was raised within a hellish world with no women. Growing up witnessing the nightmarish nature of a foreign prison life and found himself afraid and later retaliating by means of murder. As Freud would describe about the child development that Bane went through, he would probably define Bane as man who found himself incapable of going through Freud’s stages of sexual expression that just about everybody goes through within their lives.

Trying to steer away from Freud’s in-depth analysis, basically Bane didn’t grow up on not knowing how to sexually express himself like normal people did.

What’s also interesting about this is how Bane managed not to become or advance in any violent episodes to where he literally became a sexual victim for others. It’s a harsh and violent fact that after a long time within a prison, one would most likely develop a change within their ways of fulfilling their urges. But for a kid to grow up in an environment such as a “supposed” harsh prison and avoiding something like involuntary/voluntary acts through means of survival really defines Bane’s sense of willpower. If you still don’t understand what I mean, then the best way that I can explain is by watching a film known as The Midnight Express, probably the one thing that comes close into defining what kind of hellish nature Bane grew up in and how one man’s personality quickly changes for the worse.

So comes The Batman.

It is said that even those who veer away from sexual acts at a certain age, would naturally find themselves expressing their urges through means of different ways, and that is what our boy Bane here probably did when first encountering the Batman. From what he believed to be a monster within his own nightmares, was probably changed into a man who was the byproduct of perfection. I strongly believe that Bane looked upon Batman and somehow gained a sense of admiration, affection, and fear all together.

Bane had to be a part of Batman’s life in some form or way, and with the deadly cocktail of emotions that ran through Bane’s mind. Doing this by setting Batman through one of the most elaborate schemes to wear down the hero and have Bane resolve his urges once and for all. Yes, Bane tired the hero down through a series of fights from numerous escaped convicts and finally faced the Batman himself as the poor hero was fatigued and barely able to stand. It was that Bane wanted more than Batman’s defeat, he wanted to own Batman; he wanted to be a part of Batman’s life as the man who broke him. It was right after Bane managed to break Batman’s back, I realized that he finally fulfilled his life more ways than one. This signature backbreaker that he did on Batman was Banes abnormal way of expressing his hate, fear, admiration, respect, and sexual urges. It was after that incident, that Bane now saw himself as a fulfilled man who finally developed into manhood.

Now some may be find this shocking or unbelievable, but it is a strong fact that there are people within this world who express their urges through more unbelievable ways than what I just described. IN ABSOLUETLY NO WAY am I trying to demoralize Banes character. For me personally, after seeing how the writer of the Secret Six has managed to support this portion of Banes character within her storytelling, I can’t help but feel how DC managed to create a character that represented one of the most abnormal sexual disorders that has also developed within his character fully as we see him slowly discover what it’s like to express his urges normally thanks to Vandal Savage. I also know about his bio and how he constantly tries to backbreak everyone as Batman beat-em up villain, but it was only Knightfall and some developing character traits from writers that has me believe my theories about Bane.

But, I could be wrong on my theories depending on if DC tends to redefine Banes character in some form or way. But it also seems that i'm not the only one who spots this within Bane's character, besides the fact this other villain fan claims Bane expresses his violent form of sexual satisfaction through means of steroid (Venom) use which I somewhat disagree.     
     If you don't know what the hell i'm talking about, basically all im saying is that Bane got his jollies knocked off when breaking the Batman.

Hate comments or not, I strongly thankyou so much for reading my cure for boredom.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By IrishX
    @MTHarman:
    Good read as usual. I wish you made one of your videos about Bane.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MTHarman
    @IrishX said:
    "@MTHarman: Good read as usual. I wish you made one of your videos about Bane. "

Thanks for the read by the way
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By JonesDeini

Dope read, folk. I'm a psych major so I REALLY enjoyed this! Can't stand Freud though, and have little to no regard for his brand of psychoanalysis, though what little I do have is in the general principles of his psycho-sexual stages of development. I can definitely see Bane's homoerotic attraction to Batman due to an early connecting sexuality/sexual gratification with masculine dominance and violence.  

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MTHarman
    @JonesDeini said:
    "Dope read, folk. I'm a psych major so I REALLY enjoyed this! Can't stand Freud though, and have little to no regard for his brand of psychoanalysis, though what little I do have is in the general principles of his psycho-sexual stages of development. I can definitely see Bane's homoerotic attraction to Batman due to an early connecting sexuality/sexual gratification with masculine dominance and violence.   "

What's funny about Freud is that most of his works are accurate, until he decides to focus about women, that's when the tomatoes start flying. 

Something that DC comics knew about with Bane's developed character, and I'm conviced that Bane's character was inspired from the film The Midnight Express (cruel and great movie). But with a guy on here trying to add realsim towards Bane through kicking off his drug addiction, I decided to help the guy an overlooked veiw of a darker sense of realism within Bane's character that many people propably never encountered nor would they want too.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#5  Edited By AssertingValor

Cool info..................................
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By karrob
    @ebuchanan said:
    " Cool info.................................. "
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MTHarman
    @ebuchanan said:
    "Cool info.................................. "

@karrob said:
    " @ebuchanan said:
    " Cool info.................................. "
    "

Thanks for reading
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

Dude that was awesome. Article worthy, nice work!

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MTHarman
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "Dude that was awesome. Article worthy, nice work! "

Thanks
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By nightwing91

Technically we have seen bane with another woman, Talia Al Ghul in fact. But  great article I really enjoyed it.

No Caption Provided
    Of course Talia does bring up how he is like a child though.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MTHarman
    @nightwing91 said:
    "Technically we have seen bane with another woman, Talia Al Ghul in fact. But  great article I really enjoyed it.

Of course Talia does bring up how he is like a child though. "

Never have I said Bane was individually homosexual (if that's what you mean), probably Bi-sexual if my theory is correct, and yes I've noticed that Bane was lucky on scoring points with Talia before making this article. Great job for Bane by the way. 
    But that was after the Back-breaking incident with Batman to where Bane possibly developed more into his sexual desires outside of prison and it is possible that he did express his urges normally and in a childish way. 
    But my point resides within Knightfall and Bane's origin history to where it's a strong fact that Bane didn't know how to express his urges properly. After his escape, all he wanted was bloodthirsty revenge against the monster known as Batman. After the whole ordeal with the Batman, as intelligent and strong-willed Bane has become, there's still the development of his interactions with women that Bane never had within prison.  Something I never mentioned was that Bane probably regrets what he did to Batman, meaning "why" he did it because of how he was probably no better than the inmates he grew up with. So Bane taking his interest with women and Talia, is probably his way of adapting towards the society that he freely resides in. 

and even though we all know how cunning Bane is, a man who is like a child with no history of a father-figure could be duped into doing anything.
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By nightwing91
    @MTHarman: I don't see him as Bi-Sexual I see him as a scared child. Lashing out at anything that is a threat, and trying to conquer it. But Bane isn't duped, he's far to intelligent to be duped, I see where your coming from with the sexual urges, but from reading him he's a child in a monsters body, he realized this that's why he went after Batman in the first place, out of his fear of the creature that haunted his dreams each night. Bane's not a child in a childish sense, he's a child in that he's still experiences his fear and curiosity. Which can push him, to take down the Bat, Azrael, to take venom in Secret Six. 

Ultimately I believe it's his childish fear and curiosity that has always driven Bane.He's afraid of how to change, and it's a fear of being alone and losing people because he grows attached to. But that's just how I read his character, I don't read a sexual component in his actions, we all read the characters in different interpretations however, picking up on personality traits and interpreting them in different ways.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MTHarman
    @nightwing91:
    Haven't seen results of a child being raised in a prison in real life 

But I have read of a great amount of men spending a great amount of time in a prison to where they develop themselve into bi-sexual activities. Within child psychology, it's when growing up you began experiencing sexual desires, your mind that is. 
    For Bane here, he never knew anything about sex, besides "mating", which is obviously what he learned from books. 

Even though he grew up hating these inmates because of what they do, yes he was scared, and following that the human mind retaliates the discomfort to where he feels the need to survive. That fear grew into hate, it molded and shaped him to where that hate overtook his basic sexual urges that we all experience growing up. 
    But growing up into manlihood with no women, all hate for those around him and no feelings for love besides companionship from his teddy bear, is highly doubtful that a man with such a cruel history hasn't developed bi-sexual urges. 
    I could careless if Bane is Bi or not, or that in some form he does have a mind of a child that the likes of Lex Luthor, Ra's Al Ghul, and some other criminal mastermind can easily step in and influence Bane as a father type that he never had. I guess duped was the wrong word, influenced is more like the proper word for me to realize how a cunning strategist is somehow on somebody's payroll besides his own. 

Within Bane's history, being a scared child was the very first step within his life that was followed not only by my theory of the harshness of his life, but also the developing goodness that you see within him. 
    Making my blog short, I didn't mention that Bane was the type of man who was extremely strong-willed. Meaning that he actually didn't "perform" any homosexual activities growing up, and believe it or not, that is extremely hard to do if you find yourself within prison a great amount of time. Trust me on that one, prison does mentally change any man and woman. 
    But what he did to Batman was an expression of his "guilty" urges, the fact of how he developed an intense hatred of wanting to kill the Batman for years, and simply letting him live with a broken back. Not all people enjoy their bi-sexual urges, and for Bane here, he see's this as him becoming the one thing that he was afraid of throughout his whole life.  But this was all within the storyline Knightfall, after that it wasn't about Bane expressing his urges at all, what you see after that is Bane's developing career within DC. 

In anyway I hope this isn't veiwed as shaming Bane, because if there ever was a strong since of realism that this guy could give off, it would be what I claimed. Which also I would mostly prefer to be true within Bane's character because not only it defines himself, but also defines his role within the Batman rogues gallery. 
    Hell, I believe this over Mad Hatters abnormal sexual desires for tea and wearing hats. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @nightwing91 said:
    "Technically we have seen bane with another woman, Talia Al Ghul in fact. But  great article I really enjoyed it.

Of course Talia does bring up how he is like a child though. "
    Damn, if you zoom this then you can even see you know what. 
    @nightwing91 said:
    " @MTHarman: I don't see him as Bi-Sexual I see him as a scared child. Lashing out at anything that is a threat, and trying to conquer it. But Bane isn't duped, he's far to intelligent to be duped, I see where your coming from with the sexual urges, but from reading him he's a child in a monsters body, he realized this that's why he went after Batman in the first place, out of his fear of the creature that haunted his dreams each night. Bane's not a child in a childish sense, he's a child in that he's still experiences his fear and curiosity. Which can push him, to take down the Bat, Azrael, to take venom in Secret Six.     Ultimately I believe it's his childish fear and curiosity that has always driven Bane.He's afraid of how to change, and it's a fear of being alone and losing people because he grows attached to. But that's just how I read his character, I don't read a sexual component in his actions, we all read the characters in different interpretations however, picking up on personality traits and interpreting them in different ways."

This is how i too view bane,and black canary also called him an adolescent.hell the recent issue of secret six also supports this.
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By KenTheProfile

What I found intresting about Bane is how much he now respects The Batman. During Battle for the Cowl he tried to be Batman
    Gwynplaine88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gwynplaine88

According to Ra's, Bane has a mind "EQUAL to the greatest I have known. Even if it is inferior to my OWN. You may just be the SECOND most dangerous man alive. Which is why you are the PERFECT mate for my daughter." So he has about as much of a child mentality and sexual aggression as Bruce then right?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    I am Bane.
    Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Vance Astro said:

I am Bane.

I am Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.