Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

TDKR Bane is Accurate

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

A common misconception, amongst so called comic fans no less, is that Bane is some ridiculously jacked brainless Latino oaf that fully relies on Venom. Let's look at all the ways this is ungodly wrong.

1. Bane was originally drawn as simply a realistically muscled person even when on Venom. Muscled, yes, but not ungodly muscled to the point where he looks like something that Liefeld would puke up. The overly muscled depiction from things such as Arkham City and other media is painful to look at, and not AT ALL what the character is supposed to look like. The BDSM Bane came from Batman and Robin, and by saying Bane should be that way, you're saying he should be like he was in Batman and Robin!!!

2. Bane is not dependent on Venom. Since Secret Six, Bane has stopped using Venom due to its addictive properties. Even before, Bane could easily fight Batman without using Venom.

3. Bane is white in the comics! His father, King Snake, is a blonde haired, blue eyed British Anglo Saxon Caucasian! His mother, while never shown, is supposedly a South American native. Despite this, Bane is always colored as white in the comics! On top of that, many mixed people with dark skinned parents come out with white skin and Caucasoid features. For instance, all three of Michael Jackson's children look Caucasian with seemingly no Negroid features!

The fact that Bane in TDKR is seemingly a tactical mastermind who unleashes an army against Batman sounds EXACTLY like Knightfall. Some idiotic so called fans, I tell you....

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jwalser3

The only think I truly don't like about TDKR is how Catwoman and Bane look. I mean Bane looks like a MK fighter. Other then that I think the movie could be good! But I hope they do bring in the venom, not to were he is like a mini Hulk. But showing some bad @ss feats. And why would any one want him to look like he did in the horrible Batman and Robin movie lol.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jointron33

nolan has said no venom. catwoman is ok, but i felt the look she has now was already perfect for the screen. bane's mask is a bit strange, but the rest of thr costume is epic and a vast improvement over the comics

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

No one has said in Comic Vine that they want Bane to be like he was in Batman and Robin. They would have been banned on the spot.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

@BiteMe-Fanboy: and 2 smacks from the shame stick for them

No Caption Provided
    jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jointron33

With the B&R thing, I meant they want him jacked and looking like some Liefeld wet dream.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

No one has said in Comic Vine that they want Bane to be like he was in Batman and Robin. They would have been banned on the spot.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
    TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

I didn't realize people still remember that "Bane" from Batman & Robin. I actually think Nolan's Bane looks awesome, I can't say the same for his Catwoman, but that's just me.

thespidey307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thespidey307

I think now that this version of Bane premiered last night, the bane from Batman and Robin is now a distant memory now. Although Bane's voice kind of made me laugh a little.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By JSH92

I completely agree. I thought Nolan's take on Bane was great. I actually didn't mind that he wasn't on Venom in the movie, considering he is off Venom in most of his comic book appearances. It let people see that Bane is more than a Venom-driven, muscle-bound, mindless freak. He's actually a tactical genius with an intellect that is as equally impressive if not more impressive than his physical abilities. The voice wasn't exactly what I expected, but after his first scene I was fine with it. I was more than pleased with Bane in TDKR.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By jrock85

The best non-comic portrayal of Bane I have ever seen.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

No Venom? Not Mexican? Not Completely Accurate.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Deranged Midget

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Bane eh he was ok, but loved his voice and loved how he kept making these speeches sooooo awsome.......his mask however was really weird. Although great movie to me he was an ok Bane :-)

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By ComicStooge

Bane scared me, in that movie.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Vance Astro said:

No Venom? Not Mexican? Not Completely Accurate.

Not sure if trolling or didn't read the OP...

Avatar image for jigglyjiggletowns
    JigglyJiggletowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: Who was saying all these things... Bane ORIGINALLY was 6 foot 7, roughly a head taller than Batman, and had biceps the size of watermelons. Yes, he was no fucking Arkham gorilla, but he was certainly huge. Don't play the "Oh, if you want him to look like this you want him to look like he did in Batman and Robin", because that's bull. That's not what anybody is saying.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Rumble Man

@jointron33:

1. They could always get a buff guy with a voice actor dubbing his scenes, the mask negates the need for facial expression so having a big latino bane would not necessarily be a problem. Why not a big white dude like Nathan Jones who did a minor role in TROY and Tony Jaa's the protector?

This way they don't have to manipulate the camera to make hardy look taller
    This way they don't have to manipulate the camera to make hardy look taller

If you want a big latin dude for a 'classic 90's santa prisca bane feel' then look no further to former UFC champ Cain Velasquez. Big, fast and strong while a voice over could be the cerebral and calculating side. Since Tom hardy used some of his stuff from Warrior for the fight choreography, so why not just add a real MMA fighter who has a history of KO victories and who can actually lift the batman high up in the books?

Just modify the mask a wee bit and add voice overs
    Just modify the mask a wee bit and add voice overs

In his first appearance he is far from brainless, that is just schumaker being a douche. However bane in TAS is quite imposing, the brit accent was a bit weird though that he sounded like Zoidberg from futurama

its rather cute actually
    its rather cute actually

2. They say they are using NML and Knightfall where he is dependent on the venom, the fact that the mask is symbolic and all is cool but a gas type painkiller like that is inefficient and the cartridges would realistically (if nolan wants) be changed a lot like an asthma patient's inhaler. But I dig the painkiller explanation (like how PCP, Meth and Bat salts can make people go berserk because of the lack of pain, however venom steroids would work fine too because if you pay attention he only uses it in pre-fights with the bat. He does not everywhere else in them books, but steroids would also be great (If you are a WWE fan you must know the Chris Benoit reference)

Take the fact that BANE was canonically using venom the first time he met bats

3. He would be hybrid actually with genes from a hispanic mother and a caucasian father, but writers tend to be wonky with these facts (take brazil for example with the racially diverse ethnic background, you have whites, blacks, hispanics all blended in their country. ) Hispanics can be white, and in fact darker skin colors are dominant genes when passed down.

Pretty ambiguous
    Pretty ambiguous
    JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JSH92

@jointron33 said:

2. Bane is not dependent on Venom. Since Secret Six, Bane has stopped using Venom due to its addictive properties. Even before, Bane could easily fight Batman without using Venom.

Since Secret Six? More like since Vengeance of Bane #2.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Rumble Man

@Vance Astro: they don't love masked luchadores like they used to

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@Vance Astro said:

No Venom? Not Mexican? Not Completely Accurate.

Not sure if trolling or didn't read the OP...

Both.
    Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

I'd prefer a actor and a portrayal and a characterization similar to TDKR and a basic appearance (THAT'S IT SCHUMACHER!!) similar to B&R

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DwightSpitz

I loved Bane from DKR, he looked badass & the aspects of his tactical genius were done justice. Yes, he might be Caucasian, most of us Latin people are to one extent or another, but his voice was just wrong. Even if he is completely "white", growing up in South America & having that accent is just ridiculous. Besides, his correct grammar accompanied by the Latin accent is what gives Bane his charm. Making him some sort of British like villain was the movie's greatest downfall. I don't care what some of you might use for excuse to justify is "de-latinization", Bane has a Spanish accent, end of story.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daak1212

@jointron33: Your third point is kinda moot. My mom is white and my dad is black but I don't look white.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one thing I don't get is how he survives without eating or drinking due to that mask being glued to his face

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

He went from being this dominating villain who took overall all of Gotham and broke Batman, only to become Talia's love-sick puppy dog...kinda disappointed when you start to think about.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.