Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

Hispanic or Caucasian? WTF?

• 129 results
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By turoksonofstone
    No Caption Provided
    In his origin story we learn Bane was born and raised in the South American nation of Santa Prisca. We see he is clearly some sort of Latino.
    Tom Hardy? Meh. 
    Tom Hardy? Meh. 
                                                                                                                                                                                   And the classic Tim Burton Version...
    so much fail. 
    so much fail. 
    If you can't even get a character's ethnicity right you don't deserve my movie dollar. This change is fail.
    My theory about DC. 
    My theory about DC. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate thread

haven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

That wasn't Tim Burton's vision, it was Schumaccer's.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

So long as they don't change Bane's origin to make him British I don't care about the actor's ethnicity.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wattup

That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.

Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film.

Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @danhimself said:
    oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate threadhaven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked
    Black Kingpin did not work.
    Daredevil failed. Seen the sequel yet?

@Wattup said:
    That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film. Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 
    Why? Why would I go to a movie to see a variation of the character I know from comics? It should DIRECTLY reflect the source material.
    It would produce a superior product to what DC has produced thus far.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself
    @turoksonofstone said:
    @danhimself said:
    oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate threadhaven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked

@Wattup said:
    That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film. Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 
    Why? Why would I go to a movie to see a variation of the character I know from comics? It should DIRECTLY reflect the source material.
    daredevil failed because the movie sucked not because of the Kingpin
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC

Well I hated the X-Men movies. The guy they got to play Wolverine is from Australia while Logan is supposed to be from Canada. What a terrible choice. And Captain Picard as Xavier? Xavier's from America, not Britain. Did they think we wouldn't notice? */sarcasm*

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iLLituracy

Depends on the character. Ethnicity doesn't usually matter when it comes to most characters. Does it with Bane? Yes and no, I personally think so but I can see how it wouldn't matter seeing as how his ethnicity rarely comes to play.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Maybe they changed it because of how they changed the character. They may have thought it better to have a white drug addicted villain than a Latino drug addicted villain. So they could have change it so they WOULDN'T look racist.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wattup
    @turoksonofstone said:
    @danhimself said:

@Wattup said:
    Then don't go see the movie. In fact, you should boycott ANY comic-book movie that strays from your precious source material.

Don't enjoy Batman Begins because Joe Chill was murdered in front of Bruce Wayne or the fact that Ra's Al Ghul is Liam Neeson rather than a middle eastern actor. Or don't enjoy The Dark Knight because Two-Face was created by the Joker rather than a vial of acid thrown by a gangster in a courtroom. Or how about Michael Caine's Alfred having the temerity not to have a mustache like his comic book counterpart. Scandalous!

In fact, we should all march up to Christopher Nolan on the set of The Dark Knight Rises and stone him to death for casting Tom Hardy as the villain. What a racist!

However...Bane isn't completely South American as his father King Snake was a white guy. Wait a minute...Tom Hardy's a white guy! Gasp!
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @danhimself
    Indeed.  Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin, and he had nothing to do with the reasons the movie failed.  Watch the R-rated Daredevil, it's much better.

Anyway, I feel as long as the characterization is correct, it really makes little different what ethnicity they make the character.
    monopolyloser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monopolyloser

I think it's pretty safe to say that Nolan's Batman world differs quite a bit from that of the comics.  These movies are interpretations of the source material.  From what I hear, they changed Penguin quite a bit for the new Arkham City game.  Does that mean I won't play it?  No, because it's all just another way to tell the story.  Quite frankly I'm excited Tom Hardy is in this role, not because of his skin color, but because of his skills as an actor.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @iLLituracy: It does matter when Hollywood barely hires minorities.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iLLituracy
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @iLLituracy: It does matter when Hollywood barely hires minorities.
    I don't think that's the topic at hand and debatable. And most of the time when they switch the ethnicity of a character it's to a minority; for example; Kingpin, Alicia Masters, Heimdall, etc.
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @iLLituracy: It's not debatable and you're wrong.  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-women-minority-writers-obstacles-hollywood.html
     http://www.npr.org/2010/12/05/131444159/in-hollywood-an-urban-legend-worth-a-fact-check?ft=1&f=10

How many times have Hollywood white washed entire films when the original involved characters that weren't Caucasian? The fact is there have been many interviews where people have come out and said that Hollywood rarely hires minorities, and if they do not for leading roles, because they fear they'll lose money.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Can't we all just get along?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back on topic, Bane's dad is King Snake? He's British isn't he?
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iLLituracy
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @iLLituracy: It's not debatable and you're wrong.  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-women-minority-writers-obstacles-hollywood.html http://www.npr.org/2010/12/05/131444159/in-hollywood-an-urban-legend-worth-a-fact-check?ft=1&f=10  How many times have Hollywood white washed entire films when the original involved characters that weren't Caucasian? The fact is there have been many interviews where people have come out and said that Hollywood rarely hires minorities, and if they do not for leading roles, because they fear they'll lose money.
    Both of those articles have nothing to do with the subject, they have to do with the highest grossing actors in Hollywood and women writers, not switching characters that were originally a minority ethnicity to a Caucasian.

Are there more white people in the business? Yes. Does that mean they're taking black roles? No. Is that the case when it comes specifically to comic book movies? Hell no, in fact it's the other way around. More often than not they switch out a character that was originally white and make him another ethnicity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what ethnicity they are as long as they do the character justice...
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Billy Batson
    @Jake Fury said:
    I don't care what ethnicity they are as long as they do the character justice...

pretty much this

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

Who cares, if the actor makes it work then it works. Give it a chance.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Billy Batson

and movies aren't always accurate...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't see any white folks get up and leave during Thor because Heimdall was a black dude...
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#25  Edited By AssertingValor

This is the Nick Fury thread all over again..............
    Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what if some redcoat is going to play a latino based villian. First of all, even though I'm American i have to admit brits are outright the best actors aside from South Asians. Bane is performed by Tom Hardy. Watch Branson. Enough said.

I can understand if the new Old Spice guy was Zack Synder's Superman (Even though I would love to see that) or but this is something not even  worth making a big deal about. Caucasians has been doing ethnics roles since the bible. Look at Moses. It's nothing new and it will continue to happen till the zombie apocolaypse. All you can do is either make an ethnic correct movie yourself or just deal with it and move on.

I find the hilarious when caucasians do an ethnic role and just plain suck. I find the movies more enjoyable cause its something to laugh at when I high watching it.

- Chris Lambert as Raiden in Mortal Kombat

- All the kids in The Last Airbender

- Neal McSomething as M. Bison in Legend of Street Fighter

- Karl Urban as whatever in Pathfinder (It was still an epic fail)

Besides Danny Trejo is not cutting his hair for any part so blame him for not being Bane or the brazilian dude who was Xerxes in 300.

Everybody Chill the f**k out, I got this
    Everybody Chill the f**k out, I got this
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Gambit1024

...I gotta say, I don't like the change either. 

I'm sure he's a very good actor, really I am. But Bane is like, the only popular Hispanic comic book character. To me (I'm Cuban, btw), that kinda makes me feel bad.... Idk, I'm not saying I'll ban the movie or anything like that, I just think the Hispanics got cheated out of finally seeing one of our own kicking some ass. I hope he at least ACTS like he's Spanish. 

But yeah, I'm not hating on Nolan or the WB, but I just don't appreciate the change. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really confused.
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @iLLituracy: When discussing representation of minorities and racebending in comic book movies, one has to discuss those issues when it comes to Hollywood in general because comic book films are a part of that industry. The fact is in both industries, comic book and film, are regressive when it comes to depicting minorities. Marvel studios has done a pretty good job with hiring minorities, but the fact is minorities are often misrepresented in films and comics.

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2004/10/us_minority_act.php
     http://alyssaconner2.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/hollywood-lacks-diversity/
     http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/06/the-racial-politics-of-regressive-storytelling/
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmT0uZY2Omg

It shouldn't matter what color an actor/actress is, but in the end of the day minorities hardly get hired, and plenty of times it's intentionally.
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @Jake Fury: There were a lot of people complaining.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane's Father. He's British.

JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @Jake Fury: Yeah, this has already been discussed in previous threads. It still doesn't invalidate my points.
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wattup
    @Jake Fury said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bane's Father. He's British.

In that first picture, it looks like the cobra tattooed on his chest wants to eat his nipple.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @Jake Fury: There were a lot of people complaining.

Where? On a bunch of message boards? Who cares? Hollywood doesn't give a damn about them beause they not a majority of the fan abse. Hollywood cares about the casual fans. They're people going to these movies and 95% probably aren't familiar with the characters. They're the consumers for the product and therefore the target audiences. Whether that's right or wrong is really meaningless.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ImperiousRix

I just have to ask the question, and then I'm ducking out of this thing while I still can...

Is anybody really contemplating (like... for serious) not watching the next Nolan Batman movie JUST because Tom Hardy is playing Bane and is not South American?  O___O
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @ImperiousRix: No one has said that.

@Jake Fury: That was my point with racebending in Hollywood. They aim their films for the casual consumer and they believe that casting minorities, especially for leads, will cost them revenue.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i prefer it when filmaker's stick to the source material but if the actor is good enough than i wont complain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoseDRiveraTCR7
    Ok then.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7
    Okay.  Whew.
    Just checking.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Good god, and the guy that's plaing Captain America is from Massachusetts and not New York how terrible...

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Well let's see now, Sean Connery ( who is a Scottish man) has played a Russian Submarine commander, a British secret agent,  Agamemnon, a Franciscan monk and a Spanish immortal. 

Connery also didn't alter his Scottish accent for any of the above performances.
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Look, my problem when racebending is done is that they often change minority characters from the source material to white.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Look, my problem when racebending is done is that they often change minority characters from the source material to white.

so you dont care about source material per se you just dont like it when a character is made white? isnt that racist?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Nighthunter

I ain't gonna complain because they cast an actor of Hardy's caliber for the villain role and I'm latino
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: I'm the racist because I see that Hollywood often makes minority characters white? Yeah, that makes total sense.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: I'm the racist because I see that Hollywood often makes minority characters white? Yeah, that makes total sense.
    Even thought Kingpin, Hemdiall and Fury where made black?
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

actually it does. Racism is having a negative or uninformed prejudice/bias against a certain race. you said that your problem is with racebending with movies is when they make a character white not when they do the opposiste. so technically your both racist
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: So I guess MLK was racist when he spoke about inequality. 

@spiderbat87: I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of characters. My problem is that it's done often to hire white actors. There are a bunch of films that I like where they change the main character's race to white. My problem is that it's done too much to make characters white and thus minorities are under represented and are less likely to be hired.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: So I guess MLK was racist when he spoke about inequality. 

@spiderbat87: I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of characters. My problem is that it's done often to hire white actors. There are a bunch of films that I like where they change the main character's race to white. My problem is that it's done too much to make characters white and thus minorities are under represented and are less likely to be hired.
    So making them black is all good but whites a no no?
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @spiderbat87: What are you talking about? All? All what? Those 3 characters?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.