k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good 

Okay, so I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of AvX (or really a fan at all) but I'm all for diving into the after-effects of what should a planet changing event.  It feels far too frequent where these allegedly big changes come and go with little impact.  Seeing the bad guy shuffled away by authorities is good fun and all, but there's so much more to focus on.  Thankfully, that's exactly what happens here as we get to see what most of the key players are up to after the whole Phoenix incident. 

Writer Kieron Gillen does a solid job juggling the focus on more than a handful of characters.  We see first-hand how severe the impact was on Wakanda and, despite Wolverine's desire to help the nation, they make their feelings more than transparent.  The real treat here is the focus on Cyclops.  Gone is the ruby room and he's now being held in a privately owned facility.  There's a lot of potential here, especially with a slew of new mutants entering the fray. 

I also loved Wolverine's annoyance with the entire scenario.  Artist Tom Raney often put a fitting look of anger meshed with frustration on Logan's face.  The impressive attention to detail both times Logan releases his claws made the moment feel authentic as well.  

I love Stark's remark about his AvX VS encounter with Magneto.  Too many people seem to treat the "winners" of the VS title as Marvel's way of saying that's the superior character and the same would happen again.  These encounters were situational and Tony's remark "I beat Magneto once.  That doesn't mean you beat him every time," was a nice way to point that out.  I appreciate that since I have an unhealthy obsession with these battles. 

The Bad

I know Scott Summers isn't exactly the buffest of the bunch, but he's still in incredible condition.  Here, he looks like he's in dire need of a protein bar, especially when standing next to the regular guards.  Calling him "Slim" has never seemed more fitting.  Also, small complaint but two later close ups of Wolverine were off-putting because his eyes were way too large and close together.

The Verdict 

This first chapter does an able job of establishing the characters we're going to focus on and lays the groundwork for what could eventually become a very engaging story.  Even if you weren't fond of AvX (and let's be real.. many weren't), this is still worth checking out if you're interested in how the event will change the lives of a few primary characters.  Certainly not the most compelling start, but by no means bad either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.