inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Superior Spider-Man has a battle in the dream world while something is taking over his body and psyche. Obviously, this calls for Sleepwalker.

I did something today that I usually end up regretting. I picked up and bought a comic solely based off which characters were on the cover of the comic book. I bought AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #19 because Sleepwalker, a character I haven't seen since 2007, was on the cover. Like I said, normally, I regret it; however, this issue was the bees knees. This is a really fun story that delves into Doc Ock's mind: his problems as a child, his problems with his father, coming into his own. It's some really great, character building stuff. Writer Christopher Yost does a great job here and really gets the reader deep into Ock's mind.

While Paolo Rivera's cover is incredibly cool with this classic comic book style to it, the interiors by Marco Checchetto and colors by Rachelle Rosenberg are wonderful. The art is clear and crisp and the colors are a big stand out for this overall issue. Sleepwalker looks great here. He's not overly muscular, like we've seen in a few comics. He's slender and the ragged cape and outfit really fit the character's persona.

If you've been wanting to jump on SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN or AVENGING SPIDER-MAN and you weren't sure when to do so, this would be a good time. As long as you have the understanding that Doc Ock is in Peter's body and Peter's "ghost" is floating around inside, then you'll have no trouble jumping onto this issue. They don't explain anything that happened during the events of #700, but

The Bad

The page layouts, much like dreams, were a bit confusing to follow. The panel layouts, for a couple pages in particular, are extremely interesting, but a tad hard to follow, which led to me rereading these pages a couple times.

The Verdict

SLEEEPWALKER! I grew up in the early to mid 90's, and Sleepwalker is a very 90's character, so it was pretty obvious I was going to pick this one up on a whim. Luckily, I was really happy with how much fun this issue was!

Quick note: My coworker, who does not read comics, picked up this issue, and said, "Who's this Sleepwalker guy? He's dreamy." Thought you will all enjoy that.

The writing and art are fantastic here, and while this is a great overall issue, I had a problem with a few pages and how the panels were laid out. It was a tad confusing.

Overall, I recommend this issue.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The Sleepwalker Pun....*Shutter*

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Wait..So something is taking control of Superior Spider-man's body. Isn't that redundant?

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By wolverine1610
    Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Wait..So something is taking control of Superior Spider-man's body. Isn't that redundant?

I didn't get that till now...interesting. Still this looks good.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We got Sleepwalker in this title and Darkhawk in another. It's like I'm reliving my youth again!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been loving both Superior and Avenging Superior but this was the first issue of either where I was like meh. I might have given this a 3 star myself. I don't see the value in hammering home the point that Otto had an abusive childhood. I get it. He's a misunderstood evil genius.

Sleepwalker was definitely one of the heroes in the 90s responsible for making me drop comics all together back then. He seemed cool but most of the time I saw him he was just lunging at villains only to get his butt kicked. By the end of the issue I couldn't tell if he had puzzled out what's really wrong with Spidey even though it should be obvious to him more than anyone.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Mucklefluga

I looove the art in Avenging Spider-Man, Checchetto and co. are great!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

As much as I love Sleepwalker, I thought this issue was a bit brief for his first appearance in years.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Wow, I'd almost totally forgotten about Sleepwalker. I loved this character in the 90s. Having said that, of all the characters that have gotten design revamps, he's way overdue.

foxx_wertas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Love Sleepwalker.. I need to get this issue too.. or at least have a read of it!

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chances are it was either Vinny or Ryan. I'd be interested to know who Tony, lol.

Barubal10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am one of those people who will buy/love this no matter how crappy it is, just because Sleepwalker is on the cover. Glad to hear it's also a good read. I miss Sleepy and even that annoying Rick Sheridan.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had totally forgot that I used to collect the Sleepwalker comic in the 90s.

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I didnt know Mumm-Ra was an enemy of Spider Man......

DadaHyena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DadaHyena

Here I thought I would never be nostalgic for the 90's...but seeing Sleepwalker actually does make me really happy.

notorious_g3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marco Checchetto is my new favorite Spider-Artist!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.