Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7702 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Worst line up ever...

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By consolemaster001
    No Caption Provided

Where's Daredevil, Luke cage, Iron fist, Songbird, Vision and Ant-Man ?

More then half the team is not recognizable. Is this is one of marvels crappy atempts at giving their less popular characters a shot by screwing over their more iconic heroes ?

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By frozenedge2

Honestly, only about 3 or four people on the team are unrecognizable. You've got a Captain Universe, Captain America, Hyperion, Spiderman, Spider-Woman, Falcon, Cannonball, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel, and i think Sunspot. The team isn't even that bad. But even if half the team were unrecognizable, its still pretty good Marvel decided to use characters that have no relation to Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, or any of the team regulars

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@consolemaster001 said:

No Caption Provided

More then half the team is not recognizable. Is this is one of marvels crappy atempts at giving their less popular characters a shot by screwing over their more iconic heroes ?

i know, a somewhat original line up...its so horrible isnt it?

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
    Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By KnightRise

Recognize-8/13. Know anything about-6/13.

My only qualm is that 13 members seems like a large roster. I'd be concerned about the development time of the lesser known characters.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daycrawler

@consolemaster001 said:

No Caption Provided

Luke Cage quit, Ant-Man is with the FF (or dead or soon to be appearing in Cap's book, depending which version you mean), Songbird's a Thunderbolt last I checked and I'm sure I read somewhere that Vision will be in an upcoming Avengers annual (though that may just be all in my head). As for the others, who knows. It's early days yet, so give it a chance. The whole point of the new Avengers book is that they are going 'Big' - i.e. the roster has increase a fair bit, but most of them are only on standby for any humongous crisis that may occur. The first issue clearly shows that many of the iconic Avengers are still in play (Thor, Hulk, Widow, Hawkeye, Cap, Iron Man). Add them to those in the above picture (Wolverine, Spidey, Spider-woman, Capt Marvel) and core Avengers are still pretty well represented. Wanda and Wolverine are also in the Uncanny Avengers squad, with Wonder Man joining soon. Black Panther will be in New Avengers too. Don't think there's anything to worry about. Don't complain, enjoy the fact that some diversity and new blood is being added to the franchise!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#7  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I picked up #1. Art is spot on. But won't be picking it up anymore. The roster is too big and I barely know most of the characters. Im new to comics so I don't like reading about unknown characters. And it comes out every 2 weeks and 3.99. It's not worth it.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

When it comes to being iconic, yes, it's not that great. But what truly matters is the story, and Hickman is sure to deliver.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I won't lie, except for Cap, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Spidey, and Wolverine, I was disappointed with this new line-up. Still annoyed that Hyperion gets to be an Avenger yet Marvel just acts like Blue Marvel doesn't exist.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@War Killer said:

I won't lie, except for Cap, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Spidey, and Wolverine, I was disappointed with this new line-up. Still annoyed that Hyperion gets to be an Avenger yet Marvel just acts like Blue Marvel doesn't exist.

Agreed. I think Blue Marvel really could be Marvel's Superman if they let him, since they seem so keen on making sure they have one what with Hyperion who's basically Superman in a different costume, the failure that was Sentry, and Gladiator who while cool is off ruling an empire.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@War Killer said:

Agreed. I think Blue Marvel really could be Marvel's Superman if they let him, since they seem so keen on making sure they have one what with Hyperion who's basically Superman in a different costume, the failure that was Sentry, and Gladiator who while cool is off ruling an empire.

Or they could just make Thor Marvel's Superman. That's how I always saw him as anyways. Much prefer that then have them try to force some character I don't care about down my throat *cough* Sentry *cough*.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Moonchilde: Don't get me wrong, Thor is for all intents and purposes Marvel's Superman, even if they don't showcase that a lot.

What I meant with the "Marvel's Superman" thing is that Marvel does have a tendency to make Superman-like characters a lot. Hyperion, unless it's the villain version, is literally a palate swapped Superman. If I want Superman then I'd read Superman. Gladiator I actually like because while he does have Supes powers and even his costume is similar in a lot of ways, he's entirely different from Superman in terms of personality.

My point is that if you're going to make a Superman-like character, DON'T make him exactly like Superman. Powers aren't the issue, it's personality, setting, if you DO make a Superman homage then make it an homage and not a rip-off.

As for Blue Marvel, I think he has a chance to be a great character, I know I found him interesting when he first showed up. His origin was unique and in all honesty he had a slight Kingdom Come Superman feel about him, but there wasn't enough time for me to say whether I really liked him because he seemed to fade into obscurity almost as fast as he appeared.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By SupremeHyperion

The whole point of the new series is to boost the roster. I don't think this is going to be a book where the lineup always stays the same throughout but will change up and introduce different characters when different challenges arise. I love the lineup and I really like the older characters they are looking to bring back into the mix. Plus the fact that Hyperion is finally in mainstream 616 material has me pumped. I never have issues when Marvel wants to introduce new characters.... The new members and hightened roster just makes sense when you look at all the different and diverse challenges a super-team will face... the same 5 people can't solve every problem.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

I wanna see this guy as well!

Blue Marvel rules!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By fodigg

I like seeing lesser-knowns get a spotlight in the wake of Point One. It's the complete opposite of a revamp.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By consolemaster001

@Moonchilde said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@War Killer said:

Or they could just make Thor Marvel's Superman. That's how I always saw him as anyways. Much prefer that then have them try to force some character I don't care about down my throat *cough* Sentry *cough*.

Exactly ! didn't they once give that guy an entire new avengers story arc ?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

Hyperion is an Avenger. Wow!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

I've seen worse line ups but that artist needs to get smacked

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By THORSON

i think its great to have other heros get the spot light, in order to be known.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By tg1982

This line up looks pretty good.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Hazlenaut

There are two future ones one is the A-next which include: American Dream, speed, j2, Freeboot, Stinger. They were still young and not much fights.

The other is avengers next as I said before they are young but they are what is left.

They are considered Avengers wait do Great Lake Avengers Count?

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By badaboop

I'm intrigued about the lineup because it's got a lot of characters I know little about and am interested in seeing how Hickman uses them. I'm a fan of his and the first issue already lured me in with its sense of 'epic' in terms of story and narration.

However, what does concern me is the size of this team. It's already pretty big and we've only just finished the first issue, I hope Hickman is able to use them all accordingly and give us a good dose of characterization from each of them.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

The big symbol with all the little logos is interesting. It looks like it'll be a 24 member team, split into 4 sub teams, with Black Widow and Hawkeye left on their own. And it looks like they'll be adding 2 members who are deemed to be as important as the 6 in the main circle. Who could they be? Wasp and Ant Man perhaps?

By the way, I'm Scarlotte. Hi everyone.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By dangallant984

y'know, at first I thought having such a big Avengers team would be be too unwieldy, relegating most of the characters to the background (much like many of the X-men books have been for too long), but then something reminded me of the old Secret Wars from back in the 80's. There was something like 20 superheros in that, plus almost as many villains, and over the course of the series (12 issues) almost all of them had some great character moments.

That said, I think a large cast can be perfect for what I like about the Avengers, and, while I might not be interested in some of these lesser known/new characters, this team still has almost all of my favourite Avengers -and the first issue WAS a lot of fun- so I'm willing to give this book a chance.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By dangallant984
    No Caption Provided

and, in response to your question, this is the worst Avengers line up.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

This line-up is an abomination, but not for the reasons the OP stated.  

An Avengers team does not need a group of super-well knowns to be an Avengers team. It's about the best heroes coming together to form a cohesive team. Hickman's Avengers is simply movie characters, cash-cows and his own ego (characters he's created for the team) thrown in. 

For an excellent Avengers team that was made up of B-Graders, see Hank Pym's Mighty Avengers. A team that absolutely destroys this one in a series that is ten million times better than Hickman's wankfest. 

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

Well it's not the best but I am not that mad.It has some cool guys.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By papad1992

@SupremeHyperion said:

The whole point of the new series is to boost the roster. I don't think this is going to be a book where the lineup always stays the same throughout but will change up and introduce different characters when different challenges arise. I love the lineup and I really like the older characters they are looking to bring back into the mix. Plus the fact that Hyperion is finally in mainstream 616 material has me pumped. I never have issues when Marvel wants to introduce new characters.... The new members and hightened roster just makes sense when you look at all the different and diverse challenges a super-team will face... the same 5 people can't solve every problem.

EXACTLY!!

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By consolemaster001

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

The big symbol with all the little logos is interesting. It looks like it'll be a 24 member team, split into 4 sub teams, with Black Widow and Hawkeye left on their own. And it looks like they'll be adding 2 members who are deemed to be as important as the 6 in the main circle. Who could they be? Wasp and Ant Man perhaps?

By the way, I'm Scarlotte. Hi everyone.

Hi Scarlotte !

cdrshado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cdrshado

I've been reading the Avengers for over 40 years, and I am only offended that Wolverine is going to appearing in 2 Avengers titles and Vision, Hank Pym and Jacosta wont be appearing in any. Hey if they can sell, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Spiderman as Avengers then they shouldn't have any problem with this line up. They are going to need it.

MattDoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MattDoobie

I appreciate the opportunity to get to know lesser known character better. I'm in no way worried about Hickman excelling on those books. My only problem is that I have to buy 2 a month.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HushoftheWind

So new Nova is gonna be or is already an Avenger, right? And Cannonball has joined the team too, correct? Wouldn't make Cannonball pretty much null and void b/c Nova can do what Cannonball does and then some?

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Target_X

I like it a lot, personally.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#34  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Just because Some old members aren't coming back, doesn't mean the line up is bad. and It's great that some not much unknown characters getting the spotlight.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#35  Edited By TheCannon

I could forgive most of the unrecognizable people if Spider-Man and Wolverine weren't there. But they ruin it.

Avatar image for hulkslayert1000
    HulkSlayerT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HulkSlayerT1000

@consolemaster001 said:

No Caption Provided

thats bad right there....lololol

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MrArrogant

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I picked up #1. Art is spot on. But won't be picking it up anymore. The roster is too big and I barely know most of the characters. Im new to comics so I don't like reading about unknown characters. And it comes out every 2 weeks and 3.99. It's not worth it.

You should check out Avengers Assemble, it's a monthly and features the movie cast so it's new reader friendly. Start at issue 9, the awesome Kelly Sue Deconnick takes over writing duties and the always great Stefano Casseli does art.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@MrArrogant: @MrArrogant said:

@MadeinBangladesh said:

You should check out Avengers Assemble, it's a monthly and features the movie cast so it's new reader friendly. Start at issue 9, the awesome Kelly Sue Deconnick takes over writing duties and the always great Stefano Casseli does art.

I'll back you up on this. I've started buying it because Kelly Sue DeConnick's taken over, and it looks like it's gonna be good. Speaking of Kelly Sue, apparently issue 9 is a good jumping on point for her Captain Marvel series, which has been quite enjoyable so far. :)

Spawn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spawn92

I think it's a pretty good roster, considering the main Avengers are still there (just not on this panel), and now Hickman is introducing a bunch of obscured characters into the roster instead of making new, annoying ones (see XMen books). I think it's great that someone finally decided to give the more unknown characters a shot at being in the main roster of the biggest team at Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.