Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7702 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Why I believe Avengers will beat TDKR at the Box Office

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm pretty confident that Marvel's The Avengers will make more at the box office than The Dark Knight Rises. Marvel Studios latest (and fan-f*cking-tastic) effort reaches to a much wider audience, and honestly, is easier to digest for the masses. It's not dark, it's not deep, and it's not complex. This isn't calling it stupid nor claiming it's a terribly basic film. It's simply fun from beginning to end and, based on other reviews/word of mouth, a vast majority seems to agree that it's an epic blockbuster worth checking out.

Why is this? The factors working in its favor cast out a wider net than The Dark Knight Rises does. Director Joss Whedon's team-up is easily accessible by anyone and everyone. Regardless of your publisher preference, we all want to see a group of super heroes we know team up on the big screen, and more importantly, see if it can be pulled off. While this is a follow-up to all of the previous efforts by Marvel Studios, you don't really need to see them to appreciate this film. It was more than clear during both my viewings that much of the crowd likely only saw Iron Man or possibly even none of the other efforts. While leaving the cinema I overheard plenty of conversations including remarks such as "what's the Destroyer" and "was Iron Man that funny in his own movies?" The Dark Knight Rises is being promoted as the conclusion of the trilogy, and while already existing fans of the franchise are going to rush to see it opening night, I question its ability to pull in the much younger and/or older crowd that hasn't watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. That, and the vast amount of now familiar faces to the general audience (thanks to Marvel Studios tactic by kicking off their films with the excellent Iron Man in 2008) should assure its power to pull more cash. It just flat-out has more star power when it comes to characters. And then there's the most obvious reason: 3D. That alone means it'll generate more cash per ticket.

This isn't by any means saying that Marvel's The Avengers will be a superior movie to The Dark Knight Rises (even though it's more than transparent they'll be drastically different). We'll just have to wait until July 20th for that conversation. I'm sure TDKR will earn a monumental amount of money as well, and regardless of which film makes more cash, we should just be happy we're alive in a year that has not one, but two amazing comic book movies (yes, I think it's safe to assume TDKR will be great). Do you agree that Marvel's The Avengers will earn more, or do you think Christopher Nolan's final Batman film will knock out Marvel's best movie yet?

source: my blog

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By .Spider-man.

Kill the Bat. That's the only way I see it knocking off the Avengers.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

@.Spider-man. said:

Even then I'm not so sure.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@.Spider-man. said:

Word of mouth that the film kills Batman could definitely generate more curiosity, and in turn, cash.

J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By J1ml33

I believe in Harvey Dent , in Chris Nolan we trust 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Avengers will earn more, but will it be the better movie? That is the question.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGreyOutcastX: My response is in the OP ;)

This isn't by any means saying that Marvel's The Avengers will be a superior movie to The Dark Knight Rises (even though it's more than transparent they'll be drastically different). We'll just have to wait until July 20th for that conversation.

It'll be interesting to see how those conversations go when the time comes, though.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: My response is in the OP ;)

This isn't by any means saying that Marvel's The Avengers will be a superior movie to The Dark Knight Rises (even though it's more than transparent they'll be drastically different). We'll just have to wait until July 20th for that conversation.

It'll be interesting to see how those conversations go when the time comes, though.

Indeed.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I have an opinion on this but I guess it's bias since I haven't liked any of Nolan's Batman films.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By moywar700

@Vance Astro said:

I have an opinion on this but I guess it's bias since I haven't liked any of Nolan's Batman films.

how come you don't like nolan's batman ?

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lantern Prime

Bane will not have his Venom/Juice in the movie from what I heard.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @moywar700 said:

@Vance Astro said:

how come you don't like nolan's batman ?

Christian Bale was chosen to play him for starters.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Lantern Prime said:

Bane will not have his Venom/Juice in the movie from what I heard.

Not sure if they're calling it venom, but the set-up he has helps numb the constant pain he's in.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I would be fine with it if Bane doesn't have Venom in this film.It does kind of take away one thing that is unique about him but this is supposed to be a "realistic" Batman so I can understand why Nolan would want to leave that out.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Vance Astro: I don't think it'll boost his strength or anything. It seems to just be serving as a pain killer to deal with whatever critical injury he previously suffered.

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lantern Prime

@Vance Astro:

Thats weak. "realistic" Taking away the sci-fi elements takes away from Batman. Ras Al Guhl cannot die. Don't take that away.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Lantern Prime said:

@Vance Astro:

Thats weak. "realistic" Taking away the sci-fi elements takes away from Batman. Ras Al Guhl cannot die. Don't take that away.

That seems to be Nolan's angle."Realism". 

@k4tzm4n said:

@Vance Astro: I don't think it'll boost his strength or anything. It seems to just be serving as a pain killer to deal with whatever critical injury he previously suffered.

@K4tz, that's what I was getting at.I don't expect Bane in this film to be much like the comic book version of Bane.Although, I believe there are ways that Bane could use a substance to enhance his strength and still maintain the realism factor.I kind of feel like he needs the Venom so he actually resemble Bane in SOME way.He already failed aesthetically.
    Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lantern Prime

@Vance Astro:

I agree on the last part...

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lantern Prime

@k4tzm4n:

I forgot who won that battle Cap vs the Bats..... Last battle of DC vs Marvel crossover...

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hot_Karl

Avengers is doing extremely well right now. It'll make a billion dollars worldwide, no question, but that 3D money definitely helped.

Here's the thing though. The Dark Knight is legendary. We all knew that Avengers was going to be huge; Marvel spent 4+ years marketing, developing and creating origin stories for its most popular characters leading up to this moment. But The Dark Knight was never pegged to by anything but a successful follow-up to a well-received reboot by an up-and-coming director. Maybe it was Heath Ledger, maybe it was the paltry line-up in Summer 2008, maybe it was the stellar reviews (Avengers has gotten largely positive reviews, but The Dark Knight was legitimately pegged as an Oscar contender) whatever it was, it skyrocketed Dark Knight into pop culture phenomenon territory.

Will The Dark Knight Rises exceed what the previous film made? Not sure- second sequels usually see less retainment than immediate sequels. But pegging this as the "final" Batman tale, the follow-up that fans have been waiting for 4 years to see, that should help. Will it become legendary like its predecessor? Won't bet against it. If Christopher Nolan can make a largely introspective, dense psychological thriller with only one proven star & a completely original property and ride it to over $800 million worldwide, what makes you think that the biggest, most popular superhero of all time won't make history?

EDIT: Sorry, wanted to add a bit more to this. Iron Man is the most popular non-Spider-Man film in the Marvel line-up. Even though Hulk is considered a more popular comic book hero, his two films have more or less disappointed at the box office, with both Thor and Captain America outselling them handily, even adjusted for inflation, though the latter two films didn't even make as much as Batman Begins did way back in 2005, without those pesky 3D prices. The whole Avengers films from 2008 on are clearer in our minds, but the fact of the matter is that Batman is much more popular, straight up. Iron Man has his buddies backing him up, but if we just base their popularity with how their films did, Dark Knight made more than Incredible Hulk, Captain America & Thor COMBINED. So you kinda can't really make the assumption that the audience is less familiar with Batman's films as they are with the Avengers' solo efforts.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@VinceNotVance:

what makes you think that the biggest, most popular superhero of all time won't make history?

Not sure if this is directed at me, but just in case it is, I never stated or implied that that. In fact, I said the opposite:

I'm sure TDKR will earn a monumental amount of money as well

No where is this implying TDKRwon't be a hit or won't rank extremely high up there. I'm just saying I believe the factors working in Avengers favor means in the end it'll be the one that took in more cash.

So you kinda can't really make the assumption that the audience is less familiar with Batman's films as they are with the Avengers' solo efforts.

You definitely misinterpreted just one minor point. I was complimenting how Marvel Studios was preparing for this film and was able to bring more characters into the public. Not once did I say any of those individual films were more successful than Nolan's efforts or in fact that any of the characters are more popular than Wayne (perhaps a fault of my own for not elaborating much on that point... it was late when I wrote this). But, the notion of seeing them together on-screen in what is being called a very fun blockbuster (helping to draw in the younglings... and man, there were plenty when I went both times) is clearly extremely appealing to a shockingly large amount of individuals (I'm sure there's no need to cite the weekend BO figures for ya). I can't say many expecting Avengers to do THIS well. Could TDKR surprise us and blow past it? Certainly possible, but we'll have to wait and see.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Lantern Prime said:

@k4tzm4n:

I forgot who won that battle Cap vs the Bats..... Last battle of DC vs Marvel crossover...

The sewer ends up flooding and Batman has to save Captain America from it. So technically Bruce won.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Billy Batson
    No Caption Provided

BB

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @k4tzm4n I know you never said that TDKR wasn't going to make history (I just used that hyperbole because it read well) but it did feel like TDKR was being counted out because it wasn't brand synergy or wasn't going to have 3D money or wasn't filled with iconic heroes from past & present.
    Other point about the popularity was misinterpreted, sorry about that.

We shall see in mid-July, however.
    Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aero_gt

avengers for the whole team factor and simple action and plot for all fans of all ages to understand. batman for tbeing the most popular hero of all time. memorable characters. complex story.. and 2 great movies before hand.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I doubt TDKR will make more than the Avengers, but hell, there are many Nolan fanboys out there, I may be proven wrong..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.