Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7694 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

How the Hulk Saved the Avengers

Avatar image for captain_shakespeare
    Captain_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

I didn't need any emotional baggage to enjoy the movie, why does every thing have to be a serious emotional story for critics to like it. Yes its good to have some good emotional depth to movies some times but anyone who went into the Avengers expecting that was delusional, the movie clearly showed that it fully intended to be a big fun action movie with super heroes and that's exactly what it delivered. Everyone I've heard talking bad about the movie so far seems to have been expecting something that the movie never once made any claim to. I didn't need a 10 minute scene of characters crying over Coulson, this wasn't the movie for that, you want to see pathos go watch Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was an excellent movie and I loved how Whedon juggled all of the characters. I only expected Loki to control the Hulk but he managed to fit an alien invasion into the movie! JOSS IS BOSS. 10/10

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarkDay

Personally I think the author of the article simply misses the point and quite often of the very scenes he's nitpicking about emotionally. The fact that he brings up something being a ruse, and thus in his mind at least, this invalidates all the emotions previously displayed is strange to me. After all authors write what they know, actors act what they know, fiction while fiction is not created in a vacuum and does invariably pull upon something of truth and reality even if it's distorted, idealized, or gentrified. Almost every ruse that he brought up has other scenes to validate that even if it was ruse their is some deeper underlying truth. Widow's scene with Loki - Widow's scenes with Hawkeye, their fight, the aftermath, and the banter exchanged between them.

Coulson's death and Fury's ruse - Fury's belief in The Avengers, his actions toward his superiors/their orders, and his closing statement of the film.

Thor's relationship with Loki - Thor's actions toward Loki for the entire film (he even allows him to stab him and Thor was clearly capable of retaliating) if you have any idea what its like to have a sibling you can relate because though your parents will always try for equal, there is no such thing.

Loki seeming childish - Loki and Thor's entire movie relationship can be summed up as sibling rivalry spurred by what they feel is a disapproving father. Disapproving father is literally the plot of the Thor movie... >_>

To me it seems like the author likes the Hulk and thus he focuses on the Hulk. If you're looking right, you're bound to miss the little things happening on the left. Don't get me wrong, The Avengers is a summer action blockbuster and it delivers, but honestly I think it has quite a bit of subtlety thrown into it's writing and some of it is quite emotional while other bits aren't. That's not to say you aren't going to catch in tropes, but that's to say that some of the film is blink and you miss it with regards to character development and interpersonal connections, this is an action movie, it's not made of introspection and pathos though I'd argue it actually gives both in small doses.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltraBiel

@joshmightbe said:

I didn't need any emotional baggage to enjoy the movie, why does every thing have to be a serious emotional story for critics to like it. Yes its good to have some good emotional depth to movies some times but anyone who went into the Avengers expecting that was delusional, the movie clearly showed that it fully intended to be a big fun action movie with super heroes and that's exactly what it delivered. Everyone I've heard talking bad about the movie so far seems to have been expecting something that the movie never once made any claim to. I didn't need a 10 minute scene of characters crying over Coulson, this wasn't the movie for that, you want to see pathos go watch Batman.

This. Just look to all the TV series nowadays. If they don't have a big bottle of drama people just see then as inferior. Even if they are action oriented. This sux sometimes...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

@UltraBiel: Some times we just need a break from the drama all the damn time. I loved Avengers specifically for the fact that it was a break. And it was one of those rare movies that actually delivered everything the trailer promised.

Avatar image for hulkslayert1000
    HulkSlayerT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HulkSlayerT1000

Hulk had alot of help in the movies.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Superguy0009e

@joshmightbe said:

@UltraBiel: Some times we just need a break from the drama all the damn time. I loved Avengers specifically for the fact that it was a break. And it was one of those rare movies that actually delivered everything the trailer promised.

Agreed. I loved Avengers because it is the type of Hollywood Blockbusters that I love. Great action, great characters, great chemistry and great closing without having to get overly dramatic or dark.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.