Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7699 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Avengers movie - Thor, Iron man

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

and the nuke.

that's what I wanted to talk about. It's the only thing about the movie that bugged me.

Why is it that when Tony grabs the nuke, flies upwards and passes the portal, Thor doesn't do anything?

They all sit there watching it happening, Cap waits a few secs to see if Tony comes back and then he just says to close the portal. Why didnt he tell Thor to go pick Tony up? he could easily flown up and retrieve Tony.

He only tries to do that when Tony alredy came out of the portal, everyone thought he was probably doomed, dead or trapped on the otherside but Hulk gets to Tony first. We do see Thor moving Mjolnir in a away that shows he was going to fly but why didnt he do it sooner?

Maybe Im reading too much into this and it was just for shock and drama value, but Id like to hear other people's opinions on this, maybe I missed something

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DChero

i guess its just for suspense. It is a movie after all you know. I guess they just wanted to put tony in a position in which he has to sacrifice himself for the team. you can see they were planning to do that when cap and him were butting heads and cap basically said tony isn't the type of guy to put his life on the line for others or something like that. They just wanted ironman to be the big hero. I felt nick should have told thor about the nuke rather than tony.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Thor is a jerk. The end.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By TheAnnihilator

Thor can't breathe in space. And Tony chose to sacrifice himself, sending another man in on something that was already basically suicide would be a poor decision.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

My only complaint was much smaller. Did no one in the entire cast or crew think it may be a good idea to have someone show the guy playing Hawkeye how to properly hold a Bow? I mean archery is basically his super power you'd think that would imply that he's held a bow before the opening credits at some point. When he's not using it he wears it like a necklace and when he does use it he holds it like he's never seen one before.

thenerdal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thenerdal

Just for suspense. Like how come Loki just layed there after Hulk smashed him. He could've left so that he wouldn't be captured. But then, I guess he knew he lost.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@thenerdal said:

Just for suspense. Like how come Loki just layed there after Hulk smashed him. He could've left so that he wouldn't be captured. But then, I guess he knew he lost.

One does not simply get up after being smashed by Hulk.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@lykopis: he was close to the Cap when Tony was passing through the portal. He just stared at the portal and waited like everyone else until Tony comes out of it. THEN he actually starts moving Mjolnir, trying to get momentum to fly off and save tony but Hulk gets there first

@joshmightbe said:

My only complaint was much smaller. Did no one in the entire cast or crew think it may be a good idea to have someone show the guy playing Hawkeye how to properly hold a Bow? I mean archery is basically his super power you'd think that would imply that he's held a bow before the opening credits at some point. When he's not using it he wears it like a necklace and when he does use it he holds it like he's never seen one before.

I didnt even noticed that. Good catch! but it wouldnt have bothered me either if I had noticed. I presume you are into archery?

@TheAnnihilator: Thor can't breathe in space? Also, that was kinda the point. It didnt need to be suicide if Thor, who can fly faster than IM, I assume, just went there with him, left the nuke and got him out in a zap

Conclusions so far: It was either for drama or shock value (As I already said in the OP) OR it could be assumed that they knew Tony had a nuke with him and they didnt know if he had escaped the explosion or not (since they couldnt see beyong the portal)

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yai_Inn
    @Jorgevy: They did know Tony had the nuke with him. Cap tells Widow to close the portal earlier, but Tony says "keep it open I have a nuke coming impact in less than one minute and I know right where to put it" (or something like that). Cap says "you know thats a one way ticket."  
    2 reasons. 1) So that Iron-Man could be the hero. Thor would of been a more logical choice, after all his brother is responsible for all this, but they wanted to make Tony's character develop into a hero (in his first two films he's basically cleaning up his own mess). Cap and Tony argue earlier on and Cap calls him out for not being the one to make the sacrifice when the game is on the line. and 2) Because "there's no coming back" (I believe Cap said that to Tony when he decided to fly a nuke in there. Sending Thor in after him would lose you Thor not gain you Tony.  
    Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorgevy

@Yai_Inn: hmm, good answer. Even though I think Thor could have made it. Of course, maybe movie Thor is slower and also, Tony had to be the hero in the movie. Thanks :)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

He was recovering from Hulk's sucker punch.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget

It was most likely due to Cap's retort that Tony merely thinks about himself and no one else. Tony wanted to prove that he's a hero not only to Cap, but to the world.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By majestic99

@TheAnnihilator said:

Thor can't breathe in space. And Tony chose to sacrifice himself, sending another man in on something that was already basically suicide would be a poor decision.

Movie Thor can't.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@majestic99 said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

Movie Thor can't.

That's my point. I know comic Thor can. The first Beta Ray Bill stories are some of my favorite,

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By majestic99

@TheAnnihilator:

Got it.

m99

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.