Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

If you could REwrite AvX, What would you change?

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Roddy010

We all know that AvX hasn't been the most pleasurable event Marvel has given us. So If Marvel gave you the chance to rewrite this event what are some of the things would change?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

The part where the PF was coming for Earth and the Avengers were fighting the X-Men.

Sorry, but this event is just a complete mess.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    1. Take out Phoenix.
    2. Take out Hope.
    3. Call it Contest of Champions III and focus solely on good X-Men vs Avengers battles.
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By GothamRed

I'd remove cyclops and emma and bring back richard rider

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Purgy

Change the Gambit and Cap fight, make it more exciting, and also in a why both sides could agree with. And give it where they is no PIS.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HotSauceCommittee

Very good thread, the majority of Comicvine jumps on the bandwagon and craps all over the event, but I'm yet to see a single suggestion as to how it could improve.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

They wouldn't fight for 3 issues because they would have been trying to work together to find a solution until tensions got to high and both sides started fighting for actually legitimate reasons also the FF would be fully involved because I would bring them in to help figure things out

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Purgy

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Very good thread, the majority of Comicvine jumps on the bandwagon and craps all over the event, but I'm yet to see a single suggestion as to how it could improve.

I agree also give people here to share their ideals, and thoughs on it, in a more positive way. I think.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#9  Edited By knighthood

I'm okay with the story, well sorta. I feel the Phoenix should be coming for Rachel, but then that would take away the whole messiah angle (which I do not like). Anyway, I feel the problem is that the series is dragging along because Marvel is just trying to milk it. Take out VS and let those battles happen in the main issue and crossover books. Then cut out the unnecessary crap.

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Purgy

Also make sure use of other characters not the ones we are use to see over and over, but ones we didn't expect to see, and some of the younger students from both sides are in use too. And i agree the battles should be random.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Roddy010

@HotSauceCommittee:

@Purgy: Thanks guys I get tired of hearing people complain so I wanted to see what they would do to make it better if they had the chance...

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IcePrince_X

Its not about the Phoenix Force!!!!

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Purgy

@Roddy010 said:

@HotSauceCommittee:

@Purgy: Thanks guys I get tired of hearing people complain so I wanted to see what they would do to make it better if they had the chance...

Hey you're welcome, also maybe show how much both said is taking damage wise.

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14  Edited By zexion_armando

Damn, rewrite.. the only thing thats hurting my enjoyment of AvX is Romita Jr. lol

Otherwise, I'd fire the "talent" behind the VS titles, since those are just nonsense. Gambit and Magneto losing to a single punch alone makes them bad.

In terms of main story... I'd put more focus on the non wolverine characters. It seems very bland if everyone is fighting eachother without a word as to "why can't we just sit down and talk, I don't want to fight people I've been friends and allies with for years now"

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TDK_1997

I would never do such an event.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By SC  Moderator

Make the plot about X-Men angry about how their movies were handled and Avengers characters bragging about their movie success.  Cyclops can send X-Force to kidnap Joss Whedon and demand he reboot X-Men, but oh wait, what is this? Captain America retaliates by having Iron Man offering Hugh Jackman twice as much money to appear in the Avengers sequel? Snap, its on now. Throw in a Scarlett Johansson versus Halle Berry lingerie fight and Chris Hemsworth versus Michael Fassbender oil fight to get fanservice and watch sales skyrocket. No Hope, only soap, oil and a lot of pretentious meta angles.    

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

I'd add dramatic tension. There should be some, considering the Earth is about to get f**ked.

But it's an event comic... so there's none.

We all know the phoenix will go away and whoever's got the movie (hint: Avengers) will win.

So maybe the flaw is with the plot itself... if you want better story, give us a story that makes us actually give a f**k.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RoboShark

More Iron Fist.

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Purgy

@SC said:

Make the plot about X-Men angry about how their movies were handled and Avengers characters bragging about their movie success. Cyclops can send X-Force to kidnap Joss Whedon and demand he reboot X-Men, but oh wait, what is this? Captain America retaliates by having Iron Man offering Hugh Jackman twice as much money to appear in the Avengers sequel? Snap, its on now. Throw in a Scarlett Johansson versus Halle Berry lingerie fight and Chris Hemsworth versus Michael Fassbender oil fight to get fanservice and watch sales skyrocket. No Hope, only soap, oil and a lot of pretentious meta angles.

Halie vs Scarlett, now that would be awesome.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Everything.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad

Magneto wins over Iron-Man..

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ssejllenrad said:

Never.The gods will not allow it.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Billy Batson

Night of the Owls.
    BB

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RoboShark

@Billy Batson said:

Night of the Owls.
    BB

~Silent queef~

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Vance Astro said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Never.The gods will not allow it.
    No Caption Provided
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @RoboShark said:

@Billy Batson said:

Night of the Owls.
    BB

~Silent queef~

C'mon Bro...
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Billy Batson

@Vance Astro said:

@RoboShark said:

@Billy Batson said:

Night of the Owls.
    BB

~Silent queef~

C'mon Bro...

Sorry.
    BB

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By TheOptimist

Some of the things I would change would be in-story and some would be out-of-story:

• Change the price tag to $2.99, at least if it is going to continue to be a 12 part book
    • Reduce the number of issues by extracting unneeded pages and supporting the book with an extra number of overall pages
    • Allow the build up of "Its Coming" to proceed the event, rather than being the opening act of the event
    • Create a more linear storyline development, rather than a stop and go, talk and fight method
    • Have the consequence of battles contribute to the sequencing of the story, even in the early stages
    • Don't simply banner a line of books to become tie-ins; offer opportunity but make related material actively relevant
    • Reduce double shipping practices on involved books; the event is large enough, provide some limitations
    • Show, don't tell (re: Everything will change)

Those are my starting points.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Roddy010

Bump

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

1) Take off all the tie-ins to the event because the event itself should explain everything that is happening to all the characters and having this event tie-in with the other X-books like Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy would mean that we would have to buy more X-books just to understand the overall gist of the story.

2)  First, develop the story so that way what the characters are doing is making sense and we are able to see how they feel about this event.  The Avengers and the X-Men have been working together in the past, so develop a storyline about how these characters feel about fighting each other and how it would affect their friendships. Then, save the fighting for the second half of the story so that way by then, we would have a better understanding of their motives in fighting each other and nothing would seem out of place if they fight each other.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By krspaceT
    No Caption Provided

A simple thing really.......make Storm and BP on the same team. Honestly, does Marvel hate marriage? All their marriages seem to be demonically recalled....

Civil War: The Final Clash
    Civil War: The Final Clash
    AvX Versus #5
    AvX Versus #5

Put on the opposite sides of war

And can we forget this.......

Hank Pym hits Jan ... remastered.
    Hank Pym hits Jan ... remastered.

Do Comics hate marriage? And Marvel's the main offender....

At least Superman, Barry, Wally, Luke and other married heroes to non super powered beings never do the above.....

The only marriages I can think of that actually seems to work in comics are Bumblebee and Herald.....and Apollo and Midnighter

Yeah.......tell me that there's a problem here

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Redberry

Making Hope less of a entitled brat.

Prevent Wolverine and Hope from meeting because it would create an instance plothole where wolverine called for the Avengers instead of killing Hope right there. He knows that Avengers don't have the balls to kill him, so what's the point of calling them?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Redberry said:

Making Hope less of a entitled brat.

Prevent Wolverine and Hope from meeting because it would create an instance plothole where wolverine called for the Avengers instead of killing Hope right there. He knows that Avengers don't have the balls to kill him, so what's the point of calling them?

Also, the Avengers just kicked Wolverine out of the plane, so why would Wolverine want anything to do with them after what happened?

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JohnnyGat

Give them a reason to fight against each other that isn't the result of hurt feelings among each other.

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FuriousWeasel

Captain America: The Phoenix Force is headed towards Earth destroying entire planets as it goes.

Cyclops: Oh Fuck!....lets all work together to stop this giant threat to every single person on the planet.

End.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Osian2

Have it so Cap struck the first blow as there was no reason Cyclops attacked first when Cap was the one that came to take Hope

Colossus to stop losing his fights because of some stupid reason

Less focus on wolverine. He plays a bigger role than Hope herself in some issues! I don't understand why Hope went to Wolverine (the man who wants to kill her) when she needed a ride to the moon to meet the phoenix instead of Cyclops and the rest of the x-men (who want Hope to become the host).

Cyclops should have had a plan after x-sanction to deal with the avengers seeing as he knew it was coming so why didn't one of the best tacticians in the MU have a plan?

Why did Cap try to kidnap Hope when he didn't have

a) a secure place to keep her

b) a proper plan to stop the phoenix

c) Or any knowledge about the phoenix other than what Wolverine told him (he didn't ask for any advice from the other x-men not even Beast for crying out loud!)

photowill404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By photowill404

while i am enjoying the series overall here are my thoughts on improving it:

1. i'd take out the vs. series and just have the battles taking place within the main books.

2. have minor players on both sides play bigger roles in this event.

3. the fights should not be written so one-sidedly. the x-men have some serious heavy hitters and they are written like low level characters while fighting the Avengers.

4. Since this is like a cosmic level event, where are people like the FF, the Annihilators, The Nova Corps

5. I feel like the main books read too quickly, as if they are being rushed. i understand there is alot going on, however i'm sure there is a way to touch on everything and make the story seemed rushed or forced.

just my opinion though

photowill404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By photowill404

@TheOptimist said:

Some of the things I would change would be in-story and some would be out-of-story:

• Change the price tag to $2.99, at least if it is going to continue to be a 12 part book
    • Reduce the number of issues by extracting unneeded pages and supporting the book with an extra number of overall pages
    • Allow the build up of "Its Coming" to proceed the event, rather than being the opening act of the event
    • Create a more linear storyline development, rather than a stop and go, talk and fight method
    • Have the consequence of battles contribute to the sequencing of the story, even in the early stages
    • Don't simply banner a line of books to become tie-ins; offer opportunity but make related material actively relevant
    • Reduce double shipping practices on involved books; the event is large enough, provide some limitations
    • Show, don't tell (re: Everything will change)

Those are my starting points.

i actually agree with you about the "Its Coming" build up. that should have been taken care of prior to the event. also the sequencing point you brought up was spot on.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By TheCrowbar

I'd make it about Mutant ambition not the Phoenix Force.

Cyclops keeps doing jobs, that are usually left for the Avengers. He does them quick and calculating.

What happens when there's a loss of life? Who do these teams answer to? Well to each other. The conflict between the X-men and the Avengers should've been about the power balance in the Marvel universe and accountability. NOT ZOMG Phoenix.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@photowill404 said:

while i am enjoying the series overall here are my thoughts on improving it:

1. i'd take out the vs. series and just have the battles taking place within the main books.

2. have minor players on both sides play bigger roles in this event.

3. the fights should not be written so one-sidedly. the x-men have some serious heavy hitters and they are written like low level characters while fighting the Avengers.

4. Since this is like a cosmic level event, where are people like the FF, the Annihilators, The Nova Corps

5. I feel like the main books read too quickly, as if they are being rushed. i understand there is alot going on, however i'm sure there is a way to touch on everything and make the story seemed rushed or forced.

just my opinion though

I agree with all this, especially about how the main books seems so rushed and forced instead of taking time to explain to the audience about what is really going on. I also don't the idea about reading so many tie ins to this event because that would mean that we would have to pick up so many books just to understand this storyline and the event itself should tell the story.

Augment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Augment

Cyclops being killed by Hope within the first issue.

/trollface

...no, seriously - he needs to die. xD

ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ADAMocracy

What would I change, not much. Honestly, I would have Cyclops wanting Jean Grey back, Emma getting pissed unleashing her own Dark Pheonixness, then the rest of the Phoenix Five, fighting her to calm down, with Namor joinging Emma, then all of that power colliding tearing a hole in reality, and then they realize the universe is screwed, then Hope or Rachel or whoever takiing in all of the phoenix inside of them, and then saving the world, but at a deadly cost, the entire world is rebooted. Yeah I said it, Reboot Marvel so we can act like all these dumb events.

I want one X Team, one Avenger Team, etc.

Am I the only one tired of there being 4 x teams, and then like 5 avenger teams.

Come on you know want a reboot.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Osian2

@ADAMocracy said:

What would I change, not much. Honestly, I would have Cyclops wanting Jean Grey back, Emma getting pissed unleashing her own Dark Pheonixness, then the rest of the Phoenix Five, fighting her to calm down, with Namor joinging Emma, then all of that power colliding tearing a hole in reality, and then they realize the universe is screwed, then Hope or Rachel or whoever takiing in all of the phoenix inside of them, and then saving the world, but at a deadly cost, the entire world is rebooted. Yeah I said it, Reboot Marvel so we can act like all these dumb events.

Am I the only one tired of there being 4 x teams, and then like 5 avenger teams.

Multiple teams are necessary so that most characters can get some spotlight. The x-men and Avengers have way too many members to have just one book each. However I'd prefer it if the characters limited themselves to one team. Characters like Wolverine take up space (Wolverine and the X-men, Uncanny X-Force, New Avengers) that could be used to give other characters some attention.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Osian2 said:

@ADAMocracy said:

Multiple teams are necessary so that most characters can get some spotlight. The x-men and Avengers have way too many members to have just one book each. However I'd prefer it if the characters limited themselves to one team. Characters like Wolverine take up space (Wolverine and the X-men, Uncanny X-Force, New Avengers) that could be used to give other characters some attention.

I agree that characters like Wolverine who appears in each book is problematic, especially if other characters are barely getting any attention. It makes me wonder that is Cyclops does die in this event, would that give Marvel an excuse to make Wolverine appear in every single X-men book if Cyclops is out of the picture?

ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ADAMocracy

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Osian2 said:

@ADAMocracy said:

I agree that characters like Wolverine who appears in each book is problematic, especially if other characters are barely getting any attention. It makes me wonder that is Cyclops does die in this event, would that give Marvel an excuse to make Wolverine appear in every single X-men book if Cyclops is out of the picture?

I don't know about the multiple teams being necessary, they could at least be called something else. I mean seriously, Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Secret Avengers, Dark Avengers. You could easily rename these groups. Same thing with multiple X-Men Teams.

I hope they don't do that, people already hate Wolverine enough.

Thats why I want a reboot. I want all these crappy developed stories and teams gone, and start anew. But I know this ain't gonna happen so I can only hope that they just disband most of the avenger teams or rename them. Then hopefully the X-Men will reunite and they'll let Wolverine take a backseat to a lot of characters.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@ADAMocracy said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Osian2 said:

@ADAMocracy said:

I don't know about the multiple teams being necessary, they could at least be called something else. I mean seriously, Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Secret Avengers, Dark Avengers. You could easily rename these groups. Same thing with multiple X-Men Teams.

Thats why I want a reboot. I want all these crappy developed stories and teams gone, and start anew. But I know this ain't gonna happen so I can only hope that they just disband most of the avenger teams or rename them. Then hopefully the X-Men will reunite and they'll let Wolverine take a backseat to a lot of characters.

I agree. Putting Wolverine in all of the X-Men books is going to be overkill and none of the other characters would be focused on too heavily. I'm hoping that there will be better stories after this event is over.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Osian2

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@ADAMocracy said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Osian2 said:

@ADAMocracy said:

I agree. Putting Wolverine in all of the X-Men books is going to be overkill and none of the other characters would be focused on too heavily. I'm hoping that there will be better stories after this event is over.

Wolverine and the X-men and Uncanny X-men are great even the tie-ins to AVX have been great so as long as Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen are still the main writers (I'm praying that Bendis rumor is just a rumor) after AVX there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The two main x-titles are in capable hands.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

Everything.

This is sadly true, there is so much of the plot that needs to be changed to redeem it. There is no way I could even list them all in a single post before running out of characters or developing carpal tunnel

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Onemoreposter

Pretty much every single battle in the event. It was hard to watch the Avengers keep inexplicably defeating X-Men who should have been more than a match for them.

dadeisvenm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dadeisvenm

@k4tzm4n: +1

I though I was the only old fart to remember the contest of champions. Got an issue or two as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.