Follow

Avengers Unity Squad

Team » Avengers Unity Squad appears in 422 issues.

A superhero team comprised of both Avengers and X-Men that was formed by Captain America with a goal to show the world that humans and mutants can work together.

"Mutant" : A Brief Thought

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireSelektor

The word "mutant" implies otherness. It's not hard to label a person a mutant and disassociate him from humanity (think: Ned Ralston). Barring Morrison's somewhat ignored work on mutant culture, there's little flattering about the word.

Andrew Wheeler of ComicsAlliance points out how part of rejecting an unwanted label means means offering an alternative. Black people, for example, rejecting "negro" for "Afro-American". Now let's look at DC Comics: their empowered humans don't suffer the same stigma as mutants. Humans don't think metahumans are out to get them or vice versa. It's understandable; a "metahuman" is still considered human. Instead of mutant, why not metahuman?

If Havok had ended his speech with that question, we might be singing a different tune.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VampireSelektor

bump

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Metahuman isn't specific to mutants. Closer than "human", but not mutant specific.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: "Metahuman" encompasses mutants and mutates. Human Torch and Beast both have mutated genes. But who gets the bigotry? Beast. If the X-gene is the future of humanity, is it wise to disassociate born-metahumans as "mutants"? Again, "mutant" implies otherness. Not different, but other. The Inhumans have origins on Earth, right? Would you consider an Inhuman a human? No, the name speaks for itself. "Metahuman" presses a X-carrier's humanity on a person. As far as alternatives go, I don't have answer yet. It is easy how an non-powered human could regard and fear a powered "mutant" as other, though. Pride or not, it's a matter of perception.

If mutant culture was better represented in comics, it might be a different story.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I don't think Havok is ashamed of being a mutant but us tired of the word mutant being used a pejorative. Its to the point where in the
    Marvel Universe most peoples first reaction to hearing the word mutant is negative and that I believe is what Alex does not like.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts on the matter are the same as kitty prydes.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@shadowx said:

My thoughts on the matter are the same as kitty prydes.

A-FREAKING-MEN!!

Just read the issue and I LOVE her response...

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.