Follow

Avengers Unity Squad

Team » Avengers Unity Squad appears in 421 issues.

A superhero team comprised of both Avengers and X-Men that was formed by Captain America with a goal to show the world that humans and mutants can work together.

Interview about the Uncanny Avengers and THE SENTRY

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chibio

At first know this: I really like the Sentry, because of his flaws, which made him such a complex character and I was wondering what Remender would do with him during his Uncanny Avengers run. Newsarama asked him and he answered:

http://www.newsarama.com/17851-rick-remender-revives-sentry-daken-in-uncanny-avengers.html

NEWSARAMA: The Sentry is another big inclusion — the character hasn't been really mentioned much on panel since he died more than three years ago in Siege. And it's such an interesting character, to me — both how he was first introduced, and then how he was used later in the Avengers books, and became such a polarizing character in his last couple years in rotation. Did you find that there was a lot of dramatic potential with having him back in the mix, too?

REMENDER: I did. Tom Brevoort and I went back and forth between Ares and Sentry for months, and we had settled on Ares. The more I got into in what I could do with Ares, the more I realized, Ares is super-cool, and Ares as war — this was before the idea of turning them all into deaths, when I was still just considering the Four Horsemen — made a lot of sense, obviously, but it didn't interest me as much. It just didn't.

Then I realized I've got Thor on my team, who was responsible for killing Sentry, and that there's a real animosity there. Then I got into the aspect of, "What happens to a resurrected Sentry, who doesn't have The Void in his head anymore?" Who is still this mentally ill Superman who's got powers of a thousand exploding suns, but instead of The Void taking up space in his head, it's a Death persona from a Celestial, from an Apocalypse?

The twins are breaking all of the rules that have been set up, basically, because the way that these things work is — the Death Seed, basically you're choosing your successor. You create a Death, and then if you die, then the person you made as your Death becomes the next Apocalypse. If that doesn't work, then it goes to your actual kin. It's a hierarchy of the way these things work. So what they've done is to go around the cosmos, and collect Life and Death seeds from various areas of the universe, and various time periods, to cheat, and to create four Deaths.

In Sentry now, you've got someone who is basically a human being with the power of a thousand exploding suns, who is mentally ill, and instead of having this villainous Void in his head, now he's got a Death persona, which is screaming for him to move forward evolution — which is a very confusing thing for a guy who's not a mutant. Maybe he comes up with a different interpretation of his mission… when I thought of that, well, it just excited me way more. There's so much more potential there for this guy who's dealing with real and sad mental illness, and to put him in this situation, and to put him against Thor in the way that I have, it became way too cool not to do it.

I'm not sure if I like what I'm reading. There won't be a Void anymore? I thought that the Void was one of the aspects of the Sentry which made him interesting. Him being his worst opponent? Brilliant with a lot of potential, if executed well.

What are your opinions an all the hints and overall teasers Remender gave us? Do you think that the Sentry will only be a hollow shell, controlled by someone or something else? Will the exact opposite happen and Sentry will slightly snap out of it, because of his powers and have a different approach on few things, since he isn't a mutant and still has the Death seed in him? Will Sentry face Thor once again and how will that fight turn out? Do you think Sentry will be less powerful? Do you think the Void will come back?

Share your opinions. I'm very curious and very interested about the events that will follow. I'll still remain cautious, since I'm not sure if Remender has the experience to handle a character like that. Bendis certainly did not have the experience and he has proven it with his take on Moon Knight as well. Mentally unstable character are a tricky pony in my opinion and it needs writers with a good plan to execute them well. And yes, I do think that Way did a great job on Deadpool, even though he never made Deadpool as complex as Deadpool is supposed to be.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I guess the Void has to go somewhere, maybe the Void is his own person now like before they became one.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reeeeeemmmmaatch!! Thor vs Sentry woohooo!!

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bummer that no one is interested in this :-(

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VS is interested in this.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sebast_Allen

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.