Over the weekend, Slashfilm and some other people noticed that the Hydra insignia was on the back of Joe Johnston’s iPhone during his interview with EW. I don’t know if he pointed this out or not, but if he didn’t, I suppose it’d say something about there being a new subtly in viral marketing (or about fan’s superhuman attention to any details relating to comic movies.) Either way, this corroborates what Johnston was saying at the Marvel Studios Comic Con about the Red Skull working for both the Nazis and Hydra (making something of an evil empire free agent.) Couple that with the footage of the Skull acquiring a Cosmic Cube prior to his red deathly transformation and the CAP movie’s shaping up to be a lot more complex than I could’ve predicted.
Seriously, when word first got out about there being a CAPTAIN AMERICA movie, I assumed it was going to be a simple origin story, like the 90s one (except better executed, of course.) That is, you’d have Cap’s origin, then you’d see him fight the Skull and the Ratzis, and then he’d get frozen at the end. Simple as that. == TEASER ==
But the elements keep piling on. So far, you’ve got…
- The Howling Commandos, who’ll probably all end up sticking around for SHIELD in modernity.
- Peggy Carter and Bucky, who’re probably going to show up again as Sharon Carter & the Winter Soldier given the actors' multi-picture contracts.
- Big-faced supervillain Arnim Zola.
- The aforementioned Cosmic Cube and Hydra.
- The Invaders, who’re probably the most potent addition. It's a whole team in addition to the lead.
So, like I said, all those are going to add up something a lot more interesting than your typical, no-frills origin story. And I’m sure they’re all going to factor somewhere into the Avengers movie, somehow.
I’ll also point out that we’ve gotten something pretty darn close to a big screen Hydra with GI: JOE - - THE RISE OF COBRA. Natch!