Comic Vine News

46 Comments

Exclusive Preview: BLUE BEETLE #0

We know that Jaime Reyes is the current bearer of the scarab but who had it before?

The zero issues are meant to show us what was happening in the DC universe before the New 52 started. Next week's issue of BLUE BEETLE appears to be doing exactly that. We know that Jaime Reyes is the current bearer of the scarab but we also know it's from an alien race. Who was in possession of the scarab before? We're about to find out the answer to that question.

DC Has given us an exclusive preview for next week's BLUE BEETLE #0.

2590116-2590114-0.png

BLUE BEETLE #0

Where was the Scarab before it merged with the current Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes?

Written by: Tony Bedard, Keith Giffen

Pencils by: Ig Guara

Inks by: J.P. Mayer

Cover by: Guara, Mayer with Pantazis

== TEASER ==
2590118-2590117-1.png
2590120-2590119-2.png
2590124-2590122-3.png
2590127-2590125-4.png
2590130-2590128-5.png
Avatar image for green_ankh
Edited By Green ankh

Looks cool. But i don't like this Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. So In the 52 Ted Kord was never the Beetle?

Avatar image for zombietag
Posted By zombietag

@Green ankh said:

Looks cool. But i don't like this Blue Beetle.
Avatar image for cdeoleo
Posted By cdeoleo

@Green ankh: Have you read any of the series?

Avatar image for nightfang3
Posted By NightFang3

@zombietag said:

@Green ankh said:

Looks cool. But i don't like this Blue Beetle.

You're both horrible.

Avatar image for sora_thekey
Posted By sora_thekey

I'm interested in the character but I've never read a Blue Bettle comic. I wonder if this series is worth checking out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Posted By Jonny_Anonymous
@sora_thekey said:

I'm interested in the character but I've never read a Blue Bettle comic. I wonder if this series is worth checking out.

You should read the pre-New 52 stuff it's great, this I really don't like
Avatar image for loki9876
Posted By Loki9876

Is the blue beetle n52 series any good?

Avatar image for titantempest
Posted By TitanTempest

Oh no!!! I hope they will still have the cover they showed for Blue Beetle #0 original cover. Not that I hate this cover, I just loved the other one

2571641-blue_cv0_previews_02.jpg
Avatar image for circularlogic
Posted By CircularLogic

@Loki9876 said:

Is the blue beetle n52 series any good?

No. At the very least, not AT ALL as good as the original Jaime Reyes series was. It basically uses the same names as that book, but keeps nothing that was likable about the original characters (La Dama is just a mob boos, not the conflicted villain; Paco is a full-on gangbanger; Jaime literally attacked an innocent woman, but instead of feeling guilt, he is instead just whiny about how he's now on the run). The worst part is that the Scarab is basically the Venom symbiote, but not in a good way. The relationship between it and Jaime isn't even entertaining, just generic.

Avatar image for adnan
Posted By Adnan

@TitanTempest said:

Oh no!!! I hope they will still have the cover they showed for Blue Beetle #0 original cover. Not that I hate this cover, I just loved the other one

2571641-blue_cv0_previews_02.jpg

They seem to have outright changed the story. The one solicited in that cover was about the ancient Mayans, this preview seems to be about something else entirely.

Avatar image for titantempest
Posted By TitanTempest

@Adnan said:

@TitanTempest said:

Oh no!!! I hope they will still have the cover they showed for Blue Beetle #0 original cover. Not that I hate this cover, I just loved the other one

2571641-blue_cv0_previews_02.jpg

They seem to have outright changed the story. The one solicited in that cover was about the ancient Mayans, this preview seems to be about something else entirely.

Awwww I am so so sad, lol.... That sucks, maybe they can re-use that story one day in the future.... Thanks for the heads-up and info

Avatar image for superguy0009e
Posted By Superguy0009e

@CircularLogic said:

@Loki9876 said:

Is the blue beetle n52 series any good?

No. At the very least, not AT ALL as good as the original Jaime Reyes series was. It basically uses the same names as that book, but keeps nothing that was likable about the original characters (La Dama is just a mob boos, not the conflicted villain; Paco is a full-on gangbanger; Jaime literally attacked an innocent woman, but instead of feeling guilt, he is instead just whiny about how he's now on the run). The worst part is that the Scarab is basically the Venom symbiote, but not in a good way. The relationship between it and Jaime isn't even entertaining, just generic.

It has definitely grown on me. I can see the complaints, and I do agree with a lot of them, but I will say that how the present story arc ended left a good feeling in my mouth. I have hope for the series, I think Berdard can turn it around.

Avatar image for hourdude
Posted By Hourdude

@Loki9876 said:

Is the blue beetle n52 series any good?

I'm new to comics the push I got to start was actually the New 52, and I picked up blue beetle simply because of the good things I heard about it pre-new 52 and honestly it's had an alright start and I got dangerously close to dropping it a few times, but it's gradually getting better (introduction of Miser bones and meeting Booster Gold) and I have a really good feeling about the direction it's going in so if your gonna read into it just start with zero and keep going.

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

To everyone complaining about the story seemingly changing, let's remember these are the first few pages. We may very well see the scarab on both this host and the Mayan one. Wait till the issue comes out and see. Also, this is a good time to come onto the series if interested, especially since it has been getting better with each issue. Jaime and the scarab are even getting nto a decent relationship of sorts as of issue 12.

Avatar image for trusoul
Posted By TruSoul

I have nothing negative to say about Blue Beetle. If it were not for DC Nation or Cartoon Network and the New 52 initiative I wouldn't have begun reading comics. I like this Blue Beetle story and so I'm definitely going to pick up this issue. I think the opening looks really intriguing and compelling.

Avatar image for redowl_1
Posted By RedOwl_1

@Loki9876 said:

Is the blue beetle n52 series any good?

I like it, sometimes goes a bit down and makes you be close to drop it but then it gets better and so.

Avatar image for herx
Posted By Herx

@Rixec said:

To everyone complaining about the story seemingly changing, let's remember these are the first few pages. We may very well see the scarab on both this host and the Mayan one. Wait till the issue comes out and see. Also, this is a good time to come onto the series if interested, especially since it has been getting better with each issue. Jaime and the scarab are even getting nto a decent relationship of sorts as of issue 12.

I agree, having read both this series and the pre-52 series i did have doubts about this current reboot of Blue beetle, but by issue 12 it did leave me with a good feeling and a hope that it might start to resemble the pre-52 one. As to wheather this'll be a good jump on point though, i'll have to disagree. After the event's of Justice League International annual #1 (which took place after blue beetle #12) Jaimes been sent to reechworld, which will start the reachworld story arc in blue beetle #13, so unless this zero issue explains that much it might be slightly confusing for people jumping straight on into this series after this point as to why he's not on earth.

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@Herx said:

@Rixec said:

To everyone complaining about the story seemingly changing, let's remember these are the first few pages. We may very well see the scarab on both this host and the Mayan one. Wait till the issue comes out and see. Also, this is a good time to come onto the series if interested, especially since it has been getting better with each issue. Jaime and the scarab are even getting nto a decent relationship of sorts as of issue 12.

I agree, having read both this series and the pre-52 series i did have doubts about this current reboot of Blue beetle, but by issue 12 it did leave me with a good feeling and a hope that it might start to resemble the pre-52 one. As to wheather this'll be a good jump on point though, i'll have to disagree. After the event's of Justice League International annual #1 (which took place after blue beetle #12) Jaimes been sent to reechworld, which will start the reachworld story arc in blue beetle #13, so unless this zero issue explains that much it might be slightly confusing for people jumping straight on into this series after this point as to why he's not on earth.

For all we know though it could be explained in issue 0 or 13. I'm saying possibly 0 due to the fact the scarab is telling Jaime his origin, which might be because they're on the Reach home world and he needs to know. And, if not, they might say so at the beginning of 13. Only way to find out is to pick it up and start reading.

Avatar image for druzod2501
Posted By druzod2501

who had it before Jaime? I dunno, maybe Ted Kord?

Avatar image for red_titan
Posted By red_titan

@TitanTempest: he looks like a turkey now.

Avatar image for twentyfive
Posted By Twentyfive

Jaime Reyes is the best person under the Blue Beetle mantle. The others were just cookie cutter gadget heroes. Why you want to see them is beyond me.

Avatar image for bobzenub
Posted By Bobzenub

@Twentyfive: Ted Kord and Booster Gold had the best buddy team-ups in comic book history.

Avatar image for twentyfive
Posted By Twentyfive

@Bobzenub: As cool as that is for either character, there really doesn't seem to be space for that in the NEW 52. And if DC brings Kord back just so he can team up with Gold like old times, then that will truly be a darn shame.

Blue Beetle has never been interesting until the Scarab Merged with Jaime's spine. Or should I say not as interesting? Reyes s the better character.

Avatar image for bobzenub
Edited By Bobzenub

@Twentyfive: The first volume of Reyes-Beetle was fine (it started out slow though). Not great, maybe good, but fine describes it better, yet this current iteration of the character has been totally dull and tedious even compared to that... I would take Ted Kord anytime over this.

Also the JLI Annual was a major slap in the face for the fans who hoped they would revive somehow the buddy relationship between Booster and this Beetle. It's like DC deliberetly wants to burry everything that long-time fans loved about the pre-New 52 continuity and in return there is nothing but angst and unnecessary conflict, which I doubt newcomers appreciate that much.

Avatar image for titantempest
Edited By TitanTempest

@red_titan: The other design was SO cool! and they replaced it with a blue turkey girl WWHHYYY!!!!! But I guess they have their reasons, but an Ancient Aztec Blue Beetle would have been awesome

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@TitanTempest said:

@red_titan: The other design was SO cool! and they replaced it with a blue turkey girl WWHHYYY!!!!! But I guess they have their reasons, but an Ancient Aztec Blue Beetle

For all we know we may see multiple hosts in the issue but we could get a good focus on the first (the one above) and the Mayan one. Wait until the issue comes out, there's more than 5 pages.

Avatar image for twentyfive
Posted By Twentyfive

@Bobzenub said:

@Twentyfive: The first volume of Reyes-Beetle was fine (it started out slow though). Not great, maybe good, but fine describes it better, yet this current iteration of the character has been totally dull and tedious even compared to that... I would take Ted Kord anytime over this.

Also the JLI Annual was a major slap in the face for the fans who hoped they would revive somehow the buddy relationship between Booster and this Beetle. It's like DC deliberetly wants to burry everything that long-time fans loved about the pre-New 52 continuity and in return there is nothing but angst and unnecessary conflict, which I doubt newcomers appreciate that much.

Cool.

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@Bobzenub said:

@Twentyfive: The first volume of Reyes-Beetle was fine (it started out slow though). Not great, maybe good, but fine describes it better, yet this current iteration of the character has been totally dull and tedious even compared to that... I would take Ted Kord anytime over this.

Also the JLI Annual was a major slap in the face for the fans who hoped they would revive somehow the buddy relationship between Booster and this Beetle. It's like DC deliberetly wants to burry everything that long-time fans loved about the pre-New 52 continuity and in return there is nothing but angst and unnecessary conflict, which I doubt newcomers appreciate that much.

How much have you read? Because the series keeps getting better! Have you read issue 12? Totally gives a feel of the last series.

Avatar image for titantempest
Posted By TitanTempest

@Rixec: I hope so, but at first I was just complaining about the cover hoping this one was a variant.... I loved the original cover, I would even buy a bust of that one, and I dont buy any collectables lol

Avatar image for bobzenub
Edited By Bobzenub

@Rixec: I've read every issue of the New 52 up until #12, including Blue Beetle (I don't have anything against Zero Month, it's just that I have some catching up to do with some other series I follow). All I'm saying is this: even if I put myself into the teenage mindset, the current Blue Beetle volume is very lacking on many departments that would make it an immersive read. I like Reyes as a character and there is nothing wrong with him here, but damn, the supporting cast just sucks... Both Paco and Brenda are like cardboard cut-outs from a high school sitcom. The plotting is fine, but the overall story and the motives/conflicts are quite shallow, and not only that, the plotline regarding the origin of the Scarab has basically landed at DC's cosmic line, because, let's be honest, they introduced it too early. What am I getting at is, the book had and still has potential, but somehow it cannot rise above the nuances that makes it generic. The main problem probably is that we are 12 issues in, and Reyes still wants to get rid off the scarab instead of embrace it and being a hero. It's like reading twelve issues of Spider-Man whose main goal is to revert the emblemic spider-bite.

Avatar image for matt_cable
Posted By matt_cable

It is my sincere hope that Ted Kord will become Jaime's successor in the New 52... sans Scarab powers. Just Ted with his toys and brain. No more scarab.

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@matt_cable said:

It is my sincere hope that Ted Kord will become Jaime's successor in the New 52... sans Scarab powers. Just Ted with his toys and brain. No more scarab.

BOO! >(

Jaime is awesome! Ted can come back but Jaime WILL NOT go anywhere! Nor will Khaji-Da!

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@Bobzenub said:

@Rixec: I've read every issue of the New 52 up until #12, including Blue Beetle (I don't have anything against Zero Month, it's just that I have some catching up to do with some other series I follow). All I'm saying is this: even if I put myself into the teenage mindset, the current Blue Beetle volume is very lacking on many departments that would make it an immersive read. I like Reyes as a character and there is nothing wrong with him here, but damn, the supporting cast just sucks... Both Paco and Brenda are like cardboard cut-outs from a high school sitcom. The plotting is fine, but the overall story and the motives/conflicts are quite shallow, and not only that, the plotline regarding the origin of the Scarab has basically landed at DC's cosmic line, because, let's be honest, they introduced it too early. What am I getting at is, the book had and still has potential, but somehow it cannot rise above the nuances that makes it generic. The main problem probably is that we are 12 issues in, and Reyes still wants to get rid off the scarab instead of embrace it and being a hero. It's like reading twelve issues of Spider-Man whose main goal is to revert the emblemic spider-bite.

Well, Jaime has had some trouble and most realistic people would want it off. It's not a 1 2 3 decision. The Reach arc may be what finally brings about Jaime and Khaji-Da into the Blue Beetle.

Avatar image for zombietag
Posted By zombietag

@NightFang said:

@zombietag said:

@Green ankh said:

Looks cool. But i don't like this Blue Beetle.

You're both horrible.

whatevs

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
Posted By RedheadedAtrocitus

I actually like this story of what the scarab was up to before it came to Jaime, but still...I miss Ted. I want my Ted back. Can't stress that enough.

Avatar image for codysf
Posted By CODYSF

Jaime Reyes is a fun character I love his comic.

Avatar image for eyz
Posted By Eyz

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

I actually like this story of what the scarab was up to before it came to Jaime, but still...I miss Ted. I want my Ted back. Can't stress that enough.

I actually want Jaime back..the real fun light one, not the current gritty one... X___X

Avatar image for rixec
Posted By Rixec

@Eyz said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

I actually like this story of what the scarab was up to before it came to Jaime, but still...I miss Ted. I want my Ted back. Can't stress that enough.

I actually want Jaime back..the real fun light one, not the current gritty one... X___X

Issue 12 showed some of that, so we might be seeing more soon enough.

Avatar image for vincie_pooh
Posted By Vincie_Pooh

In away Blue Beetle reminds me of Guyver.

Avatar image for takuy
Edited By takuy

@Bobzenub said:

@Rixec: I've read every issue of the New 52 up until #12, including Blue Beetle (I don't have anything against Zero Month, it's just that I have some catching up to do with some other series I follow). All I'm saying is this: even if I put myself into the teenage mindset, the current Blue Beetle volume is very lacking on many departments that would make it an immersive read. I like Reyes as a character and there is nothing wrong with him here, but damn, the supporting cast just sucks... Both Paco and Brenda are like cardboard cut-outs from a high school sitcom. The plotting is fine, but the overall story and the motives/conflicts are quite shallow, and not only that, the plotline regarding the origin of the Scarab has basically landed at DC's cosmic line, because, let's be honest, they introduced it too early. What am I getting at is, the book had and still has potential, but somehow it cannot rise above the nuances that makes it generic. The main problem probably is that we are 12 issues in, and Reyes still wants to get rid off the scarab instead of embrace it and being a hero. It's like reading twelve issues of Spider-Man whose main goal is to revert the emblemic spider-bite.

1. disregard fans

2. disregard 70 years of history

3. ???

4. profit

Avatar image for fkajason
Posted By FKAjason

Ted Kord will always be my Blue Beetle, but I like Jaime too. This issue looks pretty good; I might pick it up.

Avatar image for krspacet
Posted By krspaceT

Poor alien girl...the reach are just nasty. Why don't the Lanterns attack?

Avatar image for zeeguy91
Posted By Zeeguy91
@Bobzenub said:

@Rixec: I've read every issue of the New 52 up until #12, including Blue Beetle (I don't have anything against Zero Month, it's just that I have some catching up to do with some other series I follow). All I'm saying is this: even if I put myself into the teenage mindset, the current Blue Beetle volume is very lacking on many departments that would make it an immersive read. I like Reyes as a character and there is nothing wrong with him here, but damn, the supporting cast just sucks... Both Paco and Brenda are like cardboard cut-outs from a high school sitcom. The plotting is fine, but the overall story and the motives/conflicts are quite shallow, and not only that, the plotline regarding the origin of the Scarab has basically landed at DC's cosmic line, because, let's be honest, they introduced it too early. What am I getting at is, the book had and still has potential, but somehow it cannot rise above the nuances that makes it generic. The main problem probably is that we are 12 issues in, and Reyes still wants to get rid off the scarab instead of embrace it and being a hero. It's like reading twelve issues of Spider-Man whose main goal is to revert the emblemic spider-bite.

Dude, not everyone wants to be a superhero. I know that sounds lame, but honestly, what do you expect a teenager to do in that situation? Just say: "Oh, I wanna be a hero now."?? IMO, that would be incredibly corny. Of course Jaime wants to get rid of the scarab. Its a f-ing alien parasite that has injected itself into his consciousness. Wouldn't you want to get rid of it?? He's just acting like I expect any teenage boy would act in a situation like that.
Avatar image for zeeguy91
Posted By Zeeguy91
@takuy: Not only does your response hold no water, it actually doesn't even respond to ANY of the points the original poster made. So...congratulations on being irrelevant.
Avatar image for takuy
Posted By takuy

@Zeeguy91: I probably quoted the wrong person. Gosh. Anyways, it was 100% relevant to everything.

Avatar image for davewire
Posted By davewire

I have to admit first and foremost that I haven't read this series at all yet so don't shoot me. I plan on it, but I was a Marvel guy for a long time so I'm playing a bit of DC catch up and I just finished reading the last volume of Blue Beetle yesterday and it was awesome.

That being said, I just want to weigh in with my own opinion on Dan and Ted. If the two previous Blue Beetles have been written out of the DC Universe in New 52, I'm going to be very disappointed. I really liked the both of them and to write them out of DC continuity completely would not only spit on their legacies and the legacies of those who created them (Steve Ditko, I'm looking at you), but would also spit on the last volume of Blue Beetle that not only acknowledged Jaime's status as a legacy, but honored his two predecessors greatly.

Looking at the above pictures, I will say that I'm okay with an alien having been prior host, but I do really hope that this story is just a stepping stone that takes place before Garrett and Kord stepped into the fray.