Follow

Ares

Character » Ares appears in 779 issues.

Ares is the son of Zeus and the Olympian God of War. After years of fighting against The Avengers, Thor, and mostly his own brother Hercules, Ares joined the ranks of the Avengers. He was a member of Tony Stark's official Avengers team and later Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. After he attacked Osborn for tricking him in starting Siege on Asgard, he was stopped and killed by the Sentry.

Ares: Team leader?

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By westy206

With Thunderbolts now free for a new selection of characters would Ares be the the right candidate to lead such a team? Or any other team?

Obviously the first issue would need to explain where he's been and how he's back.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like it if he still sees himself as an Avenger so he collects other Avengers with grey past like Sandman maybe Kraven (Avengers 1959) Daken and what not.

I dunno I think it would be pretty cool.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I don't see Ares as leadership material. His attempt at it in Dark Reign got his squad killed. He ignores practically everything needed to lead a team let alone win a war. I think his choice to be a Dark Avenger would haunt him. His whole "God of War/villain" past was swept under the rug by Bendis and other writers that should have prevented Ares from being an Avenger in the first place. Sadly, Ares whole mindset toward war, being a hero or fighting in general makes him useless for nearly anything in fighting except being a rabid attack dog.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

It would be nice to just get him back more often in comics.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If he does become a team leader its a big bonus ^_^

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 SC  Moderator

I think Thunderbolts or a new iteration of Dark Avengers could work out. Ares pure villainous roles were a bit stale, under Oeming and even Bendis he was a bit more fun and nuanced. Under Pak he was incredibly fun as well. Hickman wrote him quite thoughtfully too. I think a leadership role would burden the character though, if we could get a perfect mix of the seriousness and gravitas of Oeming's Ares, the mainstream appeal of Bendis Ares, the fun of Pak's Ares and the depth of Hickman's Ares, we could wind up with an amazing character.

Still I think such a character would be better suited as being a part of a team, rather than leader. I actually think he would be great in a black ops style Avengers team, like the original Secret Avengers, maybe if they ever did an Avengers/X-Force Unity team heh heh, could put Ares God Of War, War Machine, Warpath, X-23, Marrow, Domino, Sersi all on one team. Then have a leader that will keep them a bit in line. Also aka the the F---- you up Avengers. 0_0.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: you just described a perfectly written Ares lol.

I think we are on similar wave lengths.

An Avengers team made of cut throats nearly.

If I remember correctly when Norman made Dark Avengers Ares didn't see a probl being on the team as he believed they'd still achieve the same thing. It's kinda like Ares wants to be a hero but most naturally isn't. I find it hard to see him take orders when even the Olympians ask him for help and he is their General in times of war so to then follow a human seems also against his nature.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

An Avengers team made of cut throats nearly.

If I remember correctly when Norman made Dark Avengers Ares didn't see a probl being on the team as he believed they'd still achieve the same thing. It's kinda like Ares wants to be a hero but most naturally isn't. I find it hard to see him take orders when even the Olympians ask him for help and he is their General in times of war so to then follow a human seems also against his nature.

Can an Avengers team of cutthroats really be called Avengers? They are supposed to be heroes not villains.

Ares wanting to be a hero, but his nature being the opposite is a problem several writers have commented he faces. He sees no difference between Osborn and Tony Stark because to Ares fighting is fighting. Causes, sides, whatever come and go. He truly sees no difference in how you win as long as you win. Winning is pretty much all that matters to him.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By westy206

@seekquaze: well that's the point, he thinks its an avengers team when it most obviously isn't. A delusional leader we don't want every team and story the same.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seekquaze:

His attempt during the Dark Reign actually illustrates why he would be an effective leader. He took a bunch of unruly misfits and forged them into a highly efficient military unit capable of challenging hordes of undead and mythical creatures. And the reason they died is not because of Ares per se, but rather due to the loyalty he inspired in them which made them come back for him after they had already escaped.

I could see Ares as a combat leader as well as the enforcer and mentor type but they would need someone to act as the face of that team because Ares would not do well in that role.

@sc: I do believe leadership would be a burden on him, as you say. During the Dark Reign arc, his role as leader/Mentor of the Shades, he is not nearly as reckless as he is generally displayed to be and has a genuine concern for them, a concern which ultimate gets him captured when he most likely would not have been had he been alone or not responsible.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enyalios said:

@seekquaze:

His attempt during the Dark Reign actually illustrates why he would be an effective leader. He took a bunch of unruly misfits and forged them into a highly efficient military unit capable of challenging hordes of undead and mythical creatures. And the reason they died is not because of Ares per se, but rather due to the loyalty he inspired in them which made them come back for him after they had already escaped.

I could see Ares as a combat leader as well as the enforcer and mentor type but they would need someone to act as the face of that team because Ares would not do well in that role.

@sc: I do believe leadership would be a burden on him, as you say. During the Dark Reign arc, his role as leader/Mentor of the Shades, he is not nearly as reckless as he is generally displayed to be and has a genuine concern for them, a concern which ultimate gets him captured when he most likely would not have been had he been alone or not responsible.

Umm, they pointed out before hand that they were going into a unknown situation without proper backup or intelligence. Ares rode into the mission on a giant bomb letting everyone knows they were there. They were unprepared to face Ares's maniac son or hordes of undead. Ares himself admitted it was his fault at the end that they were all dead at the end. The other attacks he led when an Avenger had similar results. He fails to take full advantage of his resources coasting his side much higher casualties then necessary. Something he was called out on several times. At best, Ares can act as a drill sergeant to whip troublesome recruits in line, but actually lead a mission and expect to get your soldiers to live through it, mission planning, or anything to do with actual leading would have to go to someone else.

Yes, in a rare showing he did display concern for them. One impression I got though was he knew it was his fault that they were in over their heads because of his blunders. The problem with trying to assign him to any team is Ares has displayed blatant disregard for orders or mission objectives when it clashes with what he wants that he is too much of a loose cannon to place on any team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.