Follow

Archie Comics

Publisher »

Archie Comics are the publishers of the Riverdale Gang's adventures as well as Sonic.

Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson Team-Up for New JUGHEAD Series

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Variant cover by Chip Zdarsky
    Variant cover by Chip Zdarsky

Hamburgers and a crown made of paper. The mysterious “S” shirt and a dog named Hot Dog. Did we mention Hamburgers? All of these things are synonymous with the greatest comic book character of all time: Jughead! This October, Archie Comics is launching a new ongoing JUGHEAD series by the unbeatable team of Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson!

Featuring the adventures of Archie’s hamburger-loving best friend, the new series will debut with an all new #1 issue from two of the comic book industry’s brightest stars. Zdarsky, known for his work on the hit Image series Sex Criminals, will bring his unique brand of comedy to comics’ biggest jokester.

“Jughead is the one character that I totally attempted to emulate when I was younger,” said Zdarsky. “Cool without being cool, voracious appetite, a slacker who doesn't always live up to his potential.”

Joining Zdarsky on JUGHEAD will be Erica Henderson, best known for her work on Marvel’s Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, whose emotive artistic style and knack for capturing characters in their silliest moments perfectly suits the gluttonous teenager.

The new series will run alongside the upcoming ARCHIE series, launching on July 8, by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, telling off-the-wall and hilarious stories in the new and revamped Riverdale.

On getting inside of Jughead’s head, Zdarsky said, “He has moments where he shines and then goes back to being cool and zen. I love Jughead. He's the teen who's comfortable with himself, which is such rare, weird thing.”

JUGHEAD #1 will be available in comic book stores and digitally on October 7.

Cover by Erica Henderson
    Cover by Erica Henderson

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By donmeca2020

While i cant lie i've been reading the whole archie meets the predator story. I still can't figure out how Archie comics are still relevant....

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Will someone explain this Archie business to me? Is it some kind of hipster thing?

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: The main series seems to be fading into obscurity, which is probably why they're relaunching it.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

“Cool without being cool" and "He's the teen who's comfortable with himself"

:)

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By galacticshrub

@bl00dwerk: I think Archie comics are as iconic to a lot of people as Marvel or DC. They're simply trying to find a way to take something that was created decades ago and adapt it to modern times, not unlike what Marvel and DC frequently do.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look at both those pictures, do you get as creeped out as I do.

Archie stalks Jughead in that first one, standing uncomfortably close, waiting to kill the oblivious hamburger eating guy. Look at how Archie's eyes are boring into Jughead's head, much as a knife will in the next few moments.

In the second picture, With some hair dye and makeup, Archie has assimilated Jughead's identity. Look how smug he is as he prepares to eat the flesh of his kill, knowing to become, one must consume.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

aww 0yeahhh

and Chip!!!!! I know this will be good!

~MiB

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There's nothing to "get" about Archie. It's slice of life comics and there's an audience for that.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look at both those pictures, do you get as creeped out as I do.

Archie stalks Jughead in that first one, standing uncomfortably close, waiting to kill the oblivious hamburger eating guy. Look at how Archie's eyes are boring into Jughead's head, much as a knife will in the next few moments.

In the second picture, With some hair dye and makeup, Archie has assimilated Jughead's identity. Look how smug he is as he prepares to eat the flesh of his kill, knowing to become, one must consume.

You, sir, are hilarious.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Will someone explain this Archie business to me? Is it some kind of hipster thing?

Why must it be a "hipster thing"?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By judasnixon

Can't wait for the Jughead, Sex Criminal crossover......

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

#

@donmeca2020: The main series seems to be fading into obscurity, which is probably why they're relaunching it.

it might have a been a big thing back in the old days, even when i was reading Archie meets Predator issue 2 , it's not exactly so wowing neither.... i realize you have a small percentage of folks whom enjoy comics that aren't super hero related but still it's just hard to see where the entertainment is with reading about about some teenagers and their trips to the diner and so fouth and still be considered entertaining.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to see that some commenters are so surprised this has an audience. With the rapid rise in popularity of image comics and other non superhero comics its an obvious move to revamp such a classic character for a modern audience. I can't wait for many of these new Archie books.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@donmeca2020: There's more than a small percentage of folks reading non-cape books. Archie has always had a wide fan base. Young, old, male, female. They hit a demographic that the Big 2 are now chasing. The talent on these books are solid. They should do well.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't normally read Archie comics titles, but I have been wanting something to jump on to. I'm in.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm really digging the art for these new series. I hope the writing matches the covers

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk said:

It doesn't have to be. I asked if it was. Don't they like old shit that nobody cares about because nobody cares about it?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:

It doesn't have to be. I asked if it was. Don't they like old shit that nobody cares about because nobody cares about it?

Wut? I'm not sure what you are even asking now. Archie is a comic created in the 40's generally for younger readers.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:

Wut? I'm not sure what you are even asking now. Archie is a comic created in the 40's generally for younger readers.

Yeah. In the 40's. Who reads it now? Alot of stuff I get, just not this...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:

Like I said, younger readers.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:

Which I still don't get. What's the appeal? Is it one of those ironic "it's so bad it's good" things? Must be something I'm missing about this generation...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @bl00dwerk said:

Which I still don't get. What's the appeal? Is it one of those ironic "it's so bad it's good" things? Must be something I'm missing about this generation...

They aren't bad though, they are well written. This is not a hard thing to grasp.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'd read it

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

I was about to say something similar. I think Jughead's name speaks for itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.