Follow

Archie Comics

Publisher »

Archie Comics are the publishers of the Riverdale Gang's adventures as well as Sonic.

Archie Comics: Classic Character Gets Cancer

• 51 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Archie comics have always sort of reminded me of what life would be in a perfect world. In this small, self contained universe, nothing "wrong" ever happens and Archie's most dire conflict is whether he wants to ask Veronica or Betty out on a date for Friday night. Recently, however, there seems to be a push to intertwine realism and realistic concepts and situations into Archie's world. By realism, I mean concepts that you and I are likely to deal with in our ordinary lives. The most recent example is the announcement of Geraldine Grundy's battle with cancer, and her subsequent death which will be featured in issue #6 of " Life With Archie."

No Caption Provided
     Death in comic books is often used as a way to move a story. This year alone we've seen stories that revolve entirely around character deaths. In 2008, we witnessed the death of Batman and this year, DC comics spent the majority of the year telling stories which focused on his resurrection and return in the
        Thor #608
    Thor #608
    Return of Bruce Wayne.  

At Marvel, we witnessed the death of the Sentry during SIEGE, and Cable during Second Coming. Each of these deaths were incredible, and occurred during fantastic circumstances. The Sentry's death, for example, was dealt by Thor who summoned all the power of Mjolnir to destroy the Sentry. Thor then proceeded to take Sentry's remains, and throw them into the sun. Sure, the death of the Sentry was interesting and exciting- but it's hard for readers to relate to. I mean, how often do the people you care about die by being thrown into the sun?
    == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    The death of Ms. Grundy comes at a time where there have been definite changes being made in Archie comics. More frequently we've seen new concepts that have changed the characters in the comics we've grown up with, and as a result, have modernized the publication. In an interview with the New York Times, co-chief executive of Archie Comics Jon Goldwater discussed the many recent changes that have been introduced to Archie comics. "“The goal was to tell stories with important, real-world issues that people deal with like death, financial hardship and marriage issues.” The idea of introducing real world concepts, hardships and struggles into Archie's "perfect" world is indeed a good idea; and the death of Ms. Grundy at the hand of cancer, a common killer, is actually a really good thing. So many of us have been touched by cancer and seen our loved ones pass as a result of the disease, that integrating it into Archie's life and forcing the character to deal with the hardship makes him more relatable and interesting to the reader.

Having grown up reading Archie comics, and frequently sneaking the comics into my Mom's grocery cart, it will be interesting to see how the classic character is affected by cancer and the passing of his former teacher. What do you think? Are you looking forward to the changes we are seeing in Archie?  
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#1  Edited By BradBrains

its weird seeing big storylines in archie like this for sure. but i dont really pay attention

Psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Psykhophear

They finally have the balls to kill someone in the Archie Comics. It's about damn time one of the Archie members bites the dust. 

RIP Miss Grundy.

touch37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By touch37

Ms. Grundy?! Noooo! 
    Ms. Grundy was the kind of teacher I always wished I could have had, but never got. She was friendly, outgoing, and really cared about the kids she taught. I, I'm gonna have to go now...something in my eye...

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Amegashita
    @touch37 said:
    " Ms. Grundy?! Noooo! 
    Ms. Grundy was the kind of teacher I always wished I could have had, but never got. She was friendly, outgoing, and really cared about the kids she taught. I, I'm gonna have to go now...something in my eye... "
      Hmm, must be raining where you live.
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By spider-man 2996

R.I.P Ms. Grundy

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Poor Ms. Grundy! :( I have had so many loved ones perish from that insidious disease. It's nice, albeit sad, to see a beloved character succumb to an actual illness. I agree with Babs about The Sentry being thrown into the sun. Yes, it is shocking, but when DO we ever lose a loved one from being thrown into the sun?

JokerJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JokerJuice

OHMAN. grundy's gone. Oh well.

MisterDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterDK

Don't worry, she'll be back. Much like her son Solomon.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Baron_Emo

This is intriguing. It reminds me of Pleasantville. Introducing a bit of realism into an idealistic world can be more sad than progressive. 

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Jotham

Ms. Grundy dying of cancer? WHAT ARE YOU UP TO, ARCHIE COMICS?

Mtti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Mtti

Weird to see this in the Archieverse, haven't read an issue of Jugehead since 1996, don't think they will ressurect her, not the kind of comic to do that, will be interested to see what the outcome would be. By the way what ever happened to the gay character they introduced?

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Darkmount1

I read that New York Times article. This may be one of the best decisions the publisher has made, and who knows-we may get a live-action Archie movie after all this time.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @BradBrains said:
    " its weird seeing big storylines in archie like this for sure. but i dont really pay attention "
    Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Midnight Monk

Atleast it ain't Jughead, where would I be now without Jughead *sniff*
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15  Edited By jakob187

Real world issues in Archie Comics? 

It's a terrible idea.  The point of Archie Comics has never been to face real-world issues in the perfect world of Archie.  The point of Archie Comics is to have something at the end of the day that you can open up and you KNOW you'll smile by the end of it all.  It's that treat, that present that you want when you have a bad day or want a light-hearted read. 

What's next?  Archie has to file bankruptcy, gets Betty knocked up and can't afford it?  In turn, they have to debate the issue of abortion or adoption?  That's not what we read Archie for! 

I'm reminded of the old NBC made-for-TV movie that they did.  Jughead was a divorced psychiatrist on that, and while the movie itself was pretty terrible, that one thing reminded me why Archie is a great comic book series:  it's about having fun, enjoying yourself, and getting a laugh while being brought into this incredibly familiar world that has a massive legacy behind it. 

Sure, I'm not giving it a chance and that makes me a bad person or whatever, but at the same time, why SHOULD it change?  It's Archie.  Doing this with Archie Comics is along the same lines of making Peanuts have real world issues like cancer and bankruptcy and all the negative crap in the world. 

This, put in a plain and simple way, is a travesty.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Fantasgasmic

... so THIS is what that whole "Cancerverse" thing was about. 

But no, seriously, I can't imagine Archie Comics makes a profit. why not just have it all revealed that it's all Jughead's psychotic delusion from inside a padded cell with the word "Hamburgers" scrawled all over the walls.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Theodore

wow no way

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @BradBrains said:
    " its weird seeing big storylines in archie like this for sure. but i dont really pay attention "
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By FoxxFireArt

What makes this feel so impactful is that you are next to certain that this death actually means something. It feels as if you are really saying goodbye and they will never be back.

I would argue with the idea that death in comics is used to move a story forward. In most comics death is an absolute joke, because you know they will never stay that way. It makes you wonder why they do it at all. It's meaningless. It's a gimmick to move sales and less story. 

It wasn't that long ago that Thor was "dead" and Sentry has repeatedly "died". DC does the death gimmick a lot, most famously with the non-death of Superman. I also thin they utterly flopped with the Return of Bruce Wayne by releasing those Road Home books before Bruce actually returned. Not to mention the utter lack of Cassandra after her sudden departure. Marvel comics I think is the absolute worst offender with using death as a gimmick. I don't know what it is, but characterization has just been going downhill at Marvel. They haven't done anything that has impressed me in a long time. Nothing that happens there ever seems to matter.

I hardly ever read Archie growing up. I think I maybe read two. Still, I can feel a little impact in this event. I think it's because it's making me remember a relative I had who died from brain cancer a few years back. The only guy was in high spirits to his final day. Flirting with the nurses.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By JonesDeini

Damn, Ms. Grundy? Shit just go real, folk :-(

CaptinAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptinAwesome

looking at that picture it did't seem to phase Archie, I mean he has a smile on his face and he still got the girl.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By batmanary

Well it really has more impact than a death of a superhero because Archie doesn't have death or resurrection and Ms Grundy has been a character that's been present since the 1940s with Archie, and she's a meaningful character rather than an unknown. Killing her off is like having the death of a family member, and while Archie might be unrealistic, at the same time it is, and having realistic issues like cancer being prevalent in the Archie Universe is a big thing, because, they aren't bringing her back. This is it. She's dead. And that's why it's sad at the same time. RIP Ms Grundy

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mercy_
    @MisterDK
    Don't worry, she'll be back. Much like her son Solomon.
    LMFAO.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batmanary

This story seems to be set a bit into the future, since everywhere I read it says it explores the futures where Arch marries Betty or Veronica, so I think new stories set in Riverdale High will still have her.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marshal Victory

Maybe they could do this story where betty makes a deal with mephisto to bring her back?An her an archie would not be together.Maybe one more day.. oh wait archies cool with in that pic so never mind. I used to read archie when i was growing up.It was never timely or real world edgey.This is just meh. 
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NightFang3

R.I.P Ms. Grundy.

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#29  Edited By HaHaManHV

I'm actually really shocked that they're going to do this. I mean, props to them. That's actually really powerful and I'm sad to see her go. I've been really impressed with Archie the last few years, they're finding nice ways to stay relevant and become a bigger brand, even if it's just slightly. This is a great step for the company

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#30  Edited By HaHaManHV

I'm actually really shocked that they're going to do this. I mean, props to them. That's actually really powerful and I'm sad to see her go. I've been really impressed with Archie the last few years, they're finding nice ways to stay relevant and become a bigger brand, even if it's just slightly. This is a great step for the company

x_woman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By x_woman

No one in the comics ever stays dead. 

I bet they bring her back. 

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @jakob187:  Take a gander at this series Jim Davis did for Garfield
    http://www.garfield.com/comics/vault.html?yr=1989&addr=891023
    Avatar image for prince_of_saiyans
    Prince of Saiyans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess nothing is simplistic and idealistic anymore. 

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JamesSpiring

Wow, I thought the only Archie comics that ever did death storylines was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eyz

Whaaaaa..??
    You mean they dare change Archie's status quo who hasn't been touched upon since the late 30s???

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Magian

I don't see the point in doing this and generally introducing real-life problems and concerns in Archie.

drabstor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By drabstor

The death in the comics is something normal. The living beings aren't inmortal (in the most of characters).
    But is normal too that they come to life later. For example Jean Grey has died a lot of times an ALWAYS returns, sooner or later, but always returns, OK This is not a good example, She's the Phoenix thar reborns form her ashes.
    But other like Colossus, Captain America, Shadowcat, Apocalypsis, Mr. Sinister,  Psylocke, Green Goblin, Xavier, Lady Deathstrike or Cypher have returned from the death or an apparent death.
    Someday, Cable, Banshee, Sentry and Nighcrawler will return to the world. 
    I only know two characters whose death is forever : Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jubilee042

sad!

fedspaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#39  Edited By fedspaz

I agree with the comments that Archie doesn't need realism in it.  Archie has always been an escape from the mayhem, the sad, the pains.  I like the fact that Archie's world is the "perfect" place.  Where all is good, well except for Reggy.  It's nice to escape to that place and just know things are all happy and nice.  Not the place I want to see tragedy... my escape to a nirvana type world has been marred.

budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By budonkadonk

Ah, the last bastion for guilt-free escapism has bit the dust. 
    Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

Doesn't feel right for an Archie comic.  Hope they don't go overboard with this one.

As for comic book death, it's so overused it's becoming boring.  You can only tease the fish so many times by pulling the line at the last moment before he loses interest.  And I wouldn't be surprised that Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy are ever brought back.

"And not only does Gwen rise from the grave, but she gains superpowers and blames Spider-man for her death !!!"

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By GraveSp

The original Question died of cancer so it isn't that big a push for a comic book character to have a  death that people can relate too.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetheldod

They still make Archie comics???

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By welshguy

Somehow I'm aware of Archie at its most basic level but I'm not sure how seeing as its appears a very American instituion... 
    Anyway, realism is all well and good but I read comics/books/watch movies etc. to escape reality, if only for a short time. Reality for me is constantly reminding myself I'm not good at anything, a grandmother suffering from alzheimers and asshole neighbours, fear about the future viability of my business, whether or not that hot chick in the aforementioned grandmother's nursing home is interested in me or not, doubting that I can ever get one single script completed... 
    Ah, time to dig out the Dark Knight returns methinks

RecSpec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RecSpec

I haven't read an Archie comic in about 10 years, but does everything really have to relate to the reader in one way or another?

Daywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daywing
    @touch37 said:
    " Ms. Grundy?! Noooo! 
    Ms. Grundy was the kind of teacher I always wished I could have had, but never got. She was friendly, outgoing, and really cared about the kids she taught. I, I'm gonna have to go now...something in my eye... "
    Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Renee

So sad! :(

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Daywing said:
    " @touch37 said:
    " Ms. Grundy?! Noooo! 
    "

The_TARDIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_TARDIS

Well guys, it worked for The Question.

notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By notageek

bad idea if archie authors start adding real life issues in it then parents wouldnt want their kids to read it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.