Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4625 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Who wants to see "Aquaman: Rebirth"?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

Maybe it's just me, but I loved Aquaman. As much as I disliked him for the Superfriends show, the comic's version was indeed a great one, he had everything; respect, considerable powers, a good supporting cast, a badass actitude, etc.

However the character was turned into a squid and later killed (wtf?) putting a new Aquaman in his place to who not many people appealed and that was soon thrown to the shadow.

We've seen that DC has been returning the "most iconic" versions of the classical characters like Green Lantern and Flash in miniseries called "rebirth" that would help establish a new status quo for the character and launch a new ongoing with that character.

Now the questions are: Could Johns and Van Sciever relaunch Aquaman in a way that would help to recover the fame he once had? Should they do it in the first place?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

bump

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lordraiden

Most definately :-) I'd love to see a decent writer give Orin the credit he deserves as a long lasting character!

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

agreed, orin was awesome

the new kid well,.....

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sling Shot

Peter David did wonders for Aquaman in the 90's and I think Mckone did the art. That was a good Aquaman.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordraiden
    Sling Shot said:
    "Peter David did wonders for Aquaman in the 90's and I think Mckone did the art. That was a good Aquaman."

Nah, that wasn't Mckone, it was someone along the lines of egleham? something like that, and I loved his art, I thought it was awsome! He even had Lobo tussling with Orin over Dollphins (space)Nighthunter said:
    "agreed, orin was awesome

the new kid well,.....
    "

Yeah, exactyly, the new kid, ...........! Not really bagging, as I don't like bagging creators/creations, but I really hate it (very much) when they feel they have to do it by running down/over the original! That just really urks me :-(
    Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Teen Manatee

Orin was awesome. I really liked the water hand and btw, he should be written like if he swims fast underwater, he should have the same effect on land.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3
    lordraiden said:
    "Most definately :-) I'd love to see a decent writer give Orin the credit he deserves as a long lasting character!"
    lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordraiden
    NightFang said:
    "lordraiden said:
    "Most definately :-) I'd love to see a decent writer give Orin the credit he deserves as a long lasting character!"
    "

Love that Avatar :-) American Werewolf?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nighthunter

I wwant Johns and Van Sciever as the creative team of both the miniseries and/or the ongoing sent after that

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Why bother with Johns when Pfiefer did wonders for the character? That Sub-Diego run was the best thing to ever happen in an Aquaman comic

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nighthunter

Because I'm still hoping for Pfeifer's return to Catwoman and just the name of Johns would bring the sales that it requires

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Nighthunter said:
    "Because I'm still hoping for Pfeifer's return to Catwoman and just the name of Johns would bring the sales that it requires"
    From what he said, he's not planning on returning. We hung out a lot at Wizard world Chicago, he's close friends with one of my artists. I drunkenly tried to convince him numerous times throughout the weekend to go back to Aquaman.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

uh huh...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

yep
    i can even imagine you saying that out loud. The sarcastic, "you're B.S.ing me comes through loud and clear"

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nighthunter

yup

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

whatever, I could care less.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nighthunter

you have to admit that it sounds like b.s...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

sure does... However, the writer's community is pretty tight and friendly with each other, especially at cons. I could easily make up some B.S. about me hanging out with Jim Lee, but I wouldn't really gain anything. I was simply just trying to answer a question that you were hoping for an answer to, with a incredibly shortened version of a story relating to that. Oh well.

Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Teen Manatee
    inferiorego said:
    "Why bother with Johns when Pfiefer did wonders for the character? That Sub-Diego run was the best thing to ever happen in an Aquaman comic"

Yes, dude. His run on Aquaman was awesome. Pat Gleason did spectacular work there ,too.  Pfiefer made amazing characters during his run such as Officer Marley,etc.  And the series really showed how Aquaman his responsible for everything in his teritory.
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Watch Dog

I would love an Aquaman reberth I was realy liking that sub deago stuff an this new guy well lets just say I don't like him

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Watch Dog

I would love an Aquaman reberth I was realy liking that sub deago stuff an this new guy well lets just say I don't like him

Soviet Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Soviet Black
    Waid/Wieringo Aquaman pitch

R.I.P. Mike Wieringo

Wieringo's Aquaman Sketch
    Wieringo's Aquaman Sketch

A One-Issue Prestige Format
    Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo
    Preliminary Pitch/August 3, 2003

By Mark Waid
    ''I am so sick of people making fun of Aquaman that I'm beginning to take it personally. For the last ten years or so, the way we've been scrambling to combat Aquaman's "Dork of the Sea" image--and I've been guilty of trying this, too--is by making Aquaman increasingly darker, grittier, and tougher, the brooding, angry king beset with trouble. Each incarnation of the character seems grimmer than the last, to the point where all that's left for us to do is give him two hooks. And a peg-leg.

OR--here's ANOTHER thought. Yes, the seas can be turbulent and stormy, but y'know what? Far more often, the ocean is a universal symbol for peace and contentment. It's a calming influence. If it weren't, Bermuda would be deserted and Hawaii would be an industrial trade port. It is most people's "happy place." Yes, the ocean is the set piece for "A Perfect Storm," but it's also the world of "Finding Nemo" and "The Little Mermaid." I have never yet met anyone of any age who didn't come away from Sea World envying the guides who swim with the whales and porpoises. I propose we turn this "grim Aquaman" paradigm around for a one-shot and see what happens. "Test the waters," if you will. I know, I slay me. Anyway....

Our POV character in this story is a female marine biologist--and since Aquaman's turf covers the world, there's no need to make her American. (In fact, Russian is preferable--I've been doing a lot of reading about the culture of Russian courtship, and that could really play in nicely.) At any rate, our biologist--let's call her Yelena for now--may have heard the name "Aquaman" here and there, but to her, he's about as real and significant as, say, German football stars are to you and me.

Yelena's work is done with grungy old equipment and spit-and-bailing-wire technology, the best she has to work with. Her whole world has a gritty feel to it--

--so when this bright, blond, shining knight of a man pops out of the water and into her life, she's addled simply by the contrast.

Their paths cross, she's drawn into an adventure, and to Yelena, this "Aquaman" is, yes, mysterious like the sea--but in a warm, enticing way. To Yelena, he is otherworldly, like a fairy tale character come to life. He rarely speaks (though when he does, he's staggeringly charming), he lives in the water, and he smiles. Constantly. In fact, at first, Yelena has a nearly impossible time taking him seriously. He's like a walking cartoon.

And yet...the more she gets to know him, the further she's drawn out of her world and into his, she'll come to realize that there's something going on behind those wide eyes of his. Looking in them, she sees peace and confidence; looking through them, she's gradually introduced to an underwater world of absolute wonder, a place that is far more colorful and in tune with nature than is her own gritty lifestyle. Once she surrenders to the implausibility of it all, she's rewarded a thousandfold, and so are we. Aquaman's joy becomes her joy becomes OUR joy.

There will be no mocking. NO jokes about how "dumb" talking to fish is. Anyone with a keyboard can make cynical jokes. That's easy. What's harder is reminding you why, when you were a kid, you thought the idea of living underwater or commanding the creatures of the sea WAS cool. We can do that. We can remind you, and Yelena's awed voice will be there to back us up.''

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hell Yes  !  Big Props for Orin 
    mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrjoshua

I would like to see a whole new Aquaman. I like Arthur Curry but I never liked the King Orin years. The long hair and beard and the harpoon arm didn't do it for me. I like aquaman from back in the Golden and Silver Age. Somewhere around the time of Superfriends he lost his appeal and his sense of self. Writers were making him too much Namor and not allowing him to really grow as a character on his own. With different writers and editors he became versions of himself. One moment he's this powerful sea god the next he's this underwater jerk who couldn't keep his kingdom together. He's become DC Comics most tragic figure. He's become less of Superhero if you ask me. Superheroes are people who help others without being obligated to do so. they do it cause it's the right thing to do. Aquaman is only serving his own self-interested most of the time. Aquaman protecting his kingdom is like you or I guarding our own home. Now if Aquaman were jumping up on lnad and stopping a bunch of bank robbers, he'd be a superhero. But stopping Ocean master from taking over Atlanits just makes him someone doing his job. They need to go back and re-work Aquaman so he's a superhero again. then maybe he'd start getting some respect again.   
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

It would be good, but Aquaman would need some more good villains. So far he has two: Black Manta and Ocean Master. But if anyone can relaunch Aquaman, it would be Geoff Johns. But I think Francis Manapul would be better for this series, with his somewhat softer style. This would be underwater after all.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sora_thekey

Maybe after Blackest Night all the revived characters will stay alive after the ring is off... 

So an Aquaman Rebirth could happen along a bunch of superheroes...

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NightFang3
    @sora_thekey said:
    "Maybe after Blackest Night all the revived characters will stay alive after the ring is off...   So an Aquaman Rebirth could happen along a bunch of superheroes... "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.