Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

What was he like Pre-Flashpoint?

sockman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been reading Aquaman since near the start of the New 52. And its probably one of my favorite series. But it also got me wondering a bit about the character's history.

I have absolutely no experience with Aquaman aside for his current series. But I've seen different interpretations of him in animation (Justice League TAS, Young Justice, ...Superfriends).

So I'm wondering, which interpretation of Aquaman is most true to the character from a historic standpoint?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

aquaman98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By aquaman98

^ I agree with you !

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By comicfan11

@sockman19: much the same as he is now

Pretty much this. The appearance might have changed through the decades but the current interpretation is pretty much in line with the character history.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More or less the same character. However he was a full Atlantean, the son of Atlanna and an ancient Atlantean wizard, Atlan. He wasn't raised very long by Tom Curry, who adopted him for a while, and spent most of his time in the ocean. Most people wonder why he always seemed so angry pre 52. Easy. His infant son was murdered, his wife blamed him, tried to kill him, and went insane. Not to mention he lost his hand, and Atlantis betrayed him, multiple times. He had every reason in the world to be grumpy. However Geoff Johns is doing something Peter David didn't: Explaining Aquaman's origins very clearly right from the start so there is little confusion.

xfukboix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: could not be more wrong. the New 52 version completely changed everything about him. it scrapped the origin story established in the 80s, reverting to the original 40s origin, did away with most of his powers, and nerfed the few they left him with, altered his personality/character completely...New 52 Aquaman is in no way even recognizable as Aquaman...it's not supposed to be the same character of course, but it doesn't even resemble him in anger way, except his outfit- which has changed probably more than any other hero's

the best Aquaman, the one who decapitated Cerberus, knocked down the gates of Hell, defeated Cthulu countless times, mind-controlled most of the JLA, including Superman, condemned Tiamat to Hell, demolished Ares, etc., was an Atlantean demigod conceived by a spell cast thousands of years ago by a demigod sorcerer. he wasn't some whiny brat obsessed w/ his mom, and always concerned with "doing the right thing" and whatever. he was gritty and nihilistic, and real.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

More or less the same character. However he was a full Atlantean, the son of Atlanna and an ancient Atlantean wizard, Atlan. He wasn't raised very long by Tom Curry, who adopted him for a while, and spent most of his time in the ocean. Most people wonder why he always seemed so angry pre 52. Easy. His infant son was murdered, his wife blamed him, tried to kill him, and went insane. Not to mention he lost his hand, and Atlantis betrayed him, multiple times. He had every reason in the world to be grumpy. However Geoff Johns is doing something Peter David didn't: Explaining Aquaman's origins very clearly right from the start so there is little confusion.

Hmm, this is very interesting. I'm glad Johns made the changes he did though.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xfukboix: The 90s version of Aquaman, the Peter David version of Aquaman, was a completely different version of himself. Peter David invented a whole new mythos for Aquaman that worked for the time, but was for the most part retconned the way in the early 2000. And the Silver Age origin was completely back in full swing by the time of the brightest day storyline when Geoff Johns started writing Aquaman again.

As I mentioned before, that grittiness wasn't there because that's who Aquaman truly was inside himself. It was due to all the frustration and despair that had been going on in his life. Similar to how Batman went off the rails for a bit, getting super violent once Jason Todd died. The real Aquaman isn't a brute or some hardcore savage. He's a man caught between multiple conflicting responsibilities, but always trying to do right by all of them.

xfukboix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: let's not jump to conclusions about who he "really" is or strip everything that makes him cool by claiming he's not a brute or a savage lol. i've been probably the biggest aquaman fan on earth since i was like 5, and the new 52 is the worst thing that's ever happened to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.