halfshellhero's Aquaman #1 - The Trench, Part One review

Avatar image for halfshellhero

Aqua-who?

To be honest, I have never read an Aquaman comic, cared for the character, and was really not interested in reading this line. My fate was already sealed though as a coworker had bought the issue and said he liked it. When the issue landed on my desk, I didn't think much of it, but as I began flipping through the pages, I became more and more invested in this character. Aquaman showcased a lot more power and character than I thought he had and there was an element of humility, not from the character itself, but from the way that the story was written; As if the writers were apologizing that Aquaman had not been top shelf material in the past. In the end, the combination of witty writing, great visuals, and mysterious ending puts this first issue in line with the best the New 52 has to offer.

Other reviews for Aquaman #1 - The Trench, Part One

This Ain't Your Daddy's Aquaman 0

A high bar has been set with the first issue of the New 52 Aquaman series. This book, although not perfect by any means, is a great jumping off point for this iteration of Aquaman. It is satisfying to see a character that gets given such a hard time finally get some respect, and for good reason. The book is a great blend of action and narrative, and never takes itself too seriously. Actually, in my opinion one of the best aspects of the book is how Aquaman is treated as a joke by many of the sup...

A Bit Heavy Handed 0

I'm not a huge fan of DC, beyond the Flash series, but this series had gotten so much praise that I thought I'd check it out. And, while it is good, this issue feels incredibly heavy-handed with the point it's trying to make, something that I've seen in much of the New 52.I understand that Aquaman has been under appreciated for years as a character, and it's an interesting idea to make that the focal point of this story, but, for the most part, you're telling us stuff we already know. Meanwhile,...