Follow

Ant-Man

Movie » Ant-Man released on July 17, 2015.

A Marvel Studios film, and the first live-action adaptation of Ant-Man, starring Paul Rudd, and Michael Douglas.

Ant-Man: Comic Vine Reacts to the Teaser Trailer

• 78 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

After a whole lot of hype, the very first Ant-Manteaser trailer has been released! It aired during the 2-hour premiere of Marvel's Agent Carter and many of us have watched it quite a few times since then. Okay, probably more than just a few times. For many of us, expectations are pretty up there when it comes to Marvel Studios releasing a new franchise and the promotions for the movie (e.g. the poster and "ant-sized" teaser) were pretty creative. So, what did the Comic Vine staff think of the first good look at director Peyton Reed'sAnt-Man? Read on to find out!

No Caption Provided

Tony "G-Man" Guerrero's thoughts

Marvel’s Ant-Man has had a bit of the unknown factor. With a tiny bit of controversy over the changing of directors, we were left wondering what to expect. There’s no denying that Marvel Studios has been on a huge roll with their releases. Some have speculated whether or not this could be Marvel Studios’ first ‘failure.’

First of all, it would be premature to try to predict this movie as a failure before any footage was actually released. The argument that Ant-Man isn’t a big enough character (no pun intended) to carry his own movie also isn’t a justifiable argument. Some, including myself, were a little skeptical over Guardians of the Galaxy before its release.

With the trailer, we can be reassured that there is potential here. There’s a strange vibe at the beginning. The music almost gives an ominous feeling as Michael Douglas’ Hank Pym begins talking to Paul Rudd’s Scott Lang.

With Scott Lang, we appear to have a flawed and non-typical hero. There is the theme of redemption, something similar to the movies involving Tony Stark, Thor, and even Peter Quill. The action, FX, and motives shown in the trailer are promising. Then when you think it’s all going to be serious, you get Rudd’s last line. This shows the movie understands the idea of “Ant-Man” might be a little absurd.

There is supposed to be a big heist going on. We don’t get the full scope of what the main focus of the plot will be but that’s okay. This is just a teaser. There is promise here. There is more we can expect to see.

No Caption Provided

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring's thoughts

For the first time, in a long time, a new Marvel trailer did not get me excited for an upcoming film. I'm a huge Ant-Man fan, which sound like something ridiculous to say, and this trailer felt like a generic 2 minutes of slow pans and cross-fades. Ant-Man isn't a name brand character, so it needs a little flavor, much like the Guardians of the Galaxy trailers did. Here, we get two minutes of a main character having a rough life and having to step up to become a hero. It's exceptionally bland. Sure, it looks like it's shot great and features some fantastic actors, but that alone won't make a film good. Even the toss in of "is it too late the change the name," which should be a really funny line, falls flat because everything else in this trailer takes itself way too seriously.

The thing is that it's just a trailer. It's supposed to entice people to go an see it but Marvel could put up a crude drawing of Hulk on screen with some awful voice-over and people would still be lining up to see the film, including me. Sure the trailer is a total lackluster experience, but that doesn't say anything about the film. The people that cut trailers don't cut, direct, act in, or write the films. Ant-Man will still probably be awesome, even though this trailer was a pile of formulaic poop.

No Caption Provided

Gregg "k4tz" Katzman's thoughts

I have faith in Marvel Studios to always create a movie that'll entertain. I think none of the studio's movies are "bad." Even if one has a generic story, the studio's proven it can offer a ride that'll keep you smiling and engaged. I also have faith in Paul Rudd. I think he's shown he's capable of serious roles and absolutely has what it takes to make me laugh. And even though I think an Edgar Wright film would have been phenomenal, I'm confident Marvel Studios can recover from that loss and generate an amusing film. That said, this trailer didn't really get me excited for the movie.

Did I technically enjoy watching it? Sure, I did. I like the emphasis on family and I think making sure our kids have a better future is an important and powerful message. Plus, you can't help but feel excited about getting a look at what the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has in store for us. However, the trailer itself was surprisingly standard and didn't have a moment that made me want to exclaim something like, "OH MAN! DID YOU SEE THAT?" You know, like that time Hulk caught Iron Man in the Avengers trailer or Rocket standing on Groot's shoulder and firing a weapon like a mad man in the early Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. Nothing in here made me wonder about how thrilling or captivating a scene will look in theaters and nothing made it feel, well, unique. That's pretty disappointing since the promotions have been creative (the poster, the "ant-sized" preview) yet this felt very by the numbers, aside from the two short lines that gave Rudd a chance to make us laugh and show just a bit of character. And "character" is exactly what's missing in this one. Usually, Marvel Studios' movies have a specific tone and a ton of personality (Guardians of the Galaxy is a great example of this), but this didn't leave much of an impression.

Despite not being blown away by the trailer, I know this is just a sample of what the movie will offer. It hasn't made a strong or memorable first impression, but I do have confidence in the cast and crew's ability to create a solid film. Thanks to Paul Rudd and Marvel Studios' history, I'm optimistic the final product will show more character and offer more fun. Now we just have to wait and see if that'll be the case.

No Caption Provided

Corey "Undeadpool" Schroeder's thoughts

Ant-Man...remember when this movie was the butt of every snarky contrarian on the internet? Laughing uproariously about how, not ONLY would this movie never happen, but it would be an awful IDEA. Particularly with the likes of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man DOMINATING the box office? Aaaaah...those were the days. This teaser shows us a lot without showing us too much: we get glimpses and fragments with some great voiceover by the ever-gravelly and severe Michael Douglas (sporting a SWEET new beard). Looks like we're going to see plenty of Lang in his criminal days, or at least post-criminal days in prison. We get some faint, quick glances of Hope Van Dyne, seemingly a woman of action and, perhaps most importantly: we get some humor near the end with a great, self-aware quip. There's not much in the way of a sense of scale and for me that's what the movie needs to nail the most to make it more than "Tiny Iron Man," but there's plenty of time to perfect that.

No Caption Provided

What do you think, readers? Do you give the teaser trailer a thumbs up or did it fail to make you excited for the movie? Ant-Man is directed by Peyton Reed and opens July 17.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I agree with Mat and Gregg: This trailer just wasn't that gripping. That being said, I still hope this movie turns out to be good.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I love Ant-Man, and this trailer was very... nothing.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

The trailer suck, and that bodes ill for the actual movie. I just do not see anything exciting enough to spend money at a theater for.

ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Marvel has made bad films, are you forgetting Iron Man 2 and the Thor films?

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the trailer, not as much as the ones for GotG, but I liked it a lot. This film will be fun and entertaining I think, even if it's not groundbreaking.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's important to remember this is just a teaser trailer. It's barely the tip of the iceberg.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great trailer, glad to see this didn't have much comedy, since this type of film could be so much more.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would consider Iron Man 3 to be Marvel's first failure. And I know a lot of people disliked Iron Man 2. But I believe Ant-Man will be a lot better than Iron Man 3 so I don't think we should consider it a failure so soon. I like heist movies but I agree it does look pretty generic. And its unfortunate Hank Pym has now been I guess downgraded but Im really hoping they give him a good origin that connects him to the other Avengers.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really didn't like the trailer.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By TheHeat

@zoddguts said:

But Marvel has made bad films, are you forgetting Iron Man 2 and the Thor films?

The first Thor movie was actually good.

@viin said:

I would consider Iron Man 3 to be Marvel's first failure. And I know a lot of people disliked Iron Man 2. But I believe Ant-Man will be a lot better than Iron Man 3 so I don't think we should consider it a failure so soon. I like heist movies but I agree it does look pretty generic. And its unfortunate Hank Pym has now been I guess downgraded but Im really hoping they give him a good origin that connects him to the other Avengers.

I don't see how IM3 can be considered a failure considering it was critically and financially the best CBM to come out in 2013.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@viin said:

Why do you consider Iron Man 3 a failure? From an objective view it was a success, $1.2b at the boxoffice, 78% positive reviews, with an average score of 7.0/10 from critics, and a 4/5 from 476,000+ people.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: Iron Man 3 grossed over a billion dollars. Where in the world is that considered a failure?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

The tailer is meh and the only people I know who like it are my MCU fanboy friends who love everything Marvel puts out. Hopefully the official trailer gets me more hyped.

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did really enjoy Scott Lang not liking the Ant-Man name! I'm sure it will grow on him(Totally pun intended) throughout the movie, along with skeptical audience members.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoddguts said:

iron man two only flaw was getting ahead of itself with this shared universe thing rather than just being like the first one. still had some of the best action sequences in recent films. and what was wrong with thor's movies? I enjoyed both and thought that dark world was a step up from the first thor movie

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I don't care about how many people ran to the theater to be disappointed...the movie was terrible.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@lone_wolf_and_cub: it's considered a failure in the eyes of avid fans who luv iron man and his mythos. I share my fellow user's point of view. I was disappointed by the lack of creativity and dramatic alteration of the mandarin.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: In your opinion it was bad. Millions of others would disagree. Regardless it wasn't a failure.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

yea it looked OKAY at best to me, but this is only the trailer. the movie will tell otherwise I hope.

<SWAG>

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: You do realize these "avid fans who luv iron man and his mythos" are in the minority of moviegoers who go and see these films right? Fanboys always overreact to every comic film be it good or bad lets not pretend this isn't the case with this film.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This trailer was pretty much nothing. Not good, not bad...just there. I like Paul Rudd alot though so I do have some hope for it, its just disappointing that Edgar Wright isnt involved anymore and honestly that doesn't bode well for the movie. I can see this being Marvels first box office failure. It may break even on the Marvel name alone but it isnt going to be the surprise hit Guardians of the Galaxy was.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm actually looking forward to this, considering I had 0% interest in this movie before the teaser. Judging from what little we've seen It looks like it has potential.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it will turn-out good.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

i didn't like the trailer

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#25  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I think the seriousness and suspense of the trailer was suppose to be irony.

Still I do wish it was fun and exciting.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@xwraith said:

I agree with Mat and Gregg: This trailer just wasn't that gripping. That being said, I still hope this movie turns out to be good.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I kind of wished they had shown more of whatever heist is going on because, quite frankly, a lot of people will immediately dismiss this based on his superpower, they have to prove it has functionality. He shrinks! Not exactly something a lot of us dream of doing. I wish they had shown the function of his powers more to draw intrigue.

I'm open to unlikely characters getting solo movies though, it's better than seeing the same tropes again and again.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Mat and Gregg pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I am concerned about the director change for sure. Ant-Man is a character that I don't particularly care about so this was going to be a bit of a hard sell for me anyway but Edgar Wright is a favorite of mine and his name alone was the selling point for me. Then he left and my hopes were significantly decreased that this will be a movie for me. On top of that, this trailer was simply bland and unoriginal. Which is especially surprising because I think a majority of the money made by Guardians of the Galaxy came from the brilliant job of advertising they did. Was this trailer intentionally bland to hide massive flaws? Idk but probably not.. Was it generic because there is still disagreement within Marvel Studios about how to present such an off-kilter character? Again, Idk, but all of these things have me worried that this may be the first MCU movie that I legitimately do not enjoy. This is a lot to assume based on a teaser trailer and I am going to give the movie a chance but these are my initial reactions to a trailer that I thought left a lot to be desired.

Avatar image for left_my_heart_in_san_franchees
    Left_My_Heart_In_San_Francheesie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The teaser was honestly a disappointment for me. I second Mr. Katzman's sentiment about the focus on Lang's family and the notion of making a better world for his child, but nothing about the trailer really blew me away or even perked my interest which has been about zero. That being said, I remember the teaser for Winter Soldier being kinda crap and making the movie look like a 90's cliche action film. I'll hold out for an "official" trailer or whatever they call the second trailer.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fallingcliffs

Hey, way I look at it the law of average says MCU has to put out a bomb sometime considering the vast amount of movies they make, this is one may not ignite....this very well may it.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this will be Marvel's first failure... It can't do worse than Hulk and The First Avenger.... It will probably make 500 mil, which would be higher than the Thor film but not considered a hit...

I still applaud Marvel for trying to make an Ant-Man film, even after coping with the loss of a director and comic book and casual fan backlash.... They still have something to show and have made something...

So I give props to Marvel in that...

The trailer is meh for me, I will watch the movie once and that's it...

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not going to be worse than iron man 2.

ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thor movies were bad especially the 2nd movie, even Marvel knows this. The first movie barely was decent but ultimately forgettable and dull, the romance in the two movies are the weakest link, no chemistry whatsoever between the two leads. Hopefully they'll get rid of Natalie Portman in the third movie.

playhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By playhouse

Honestly, this was a trailer made for its outlet, which was television. It's meant to be a teaser and it's also meant to fit the feel of what the audience had just watched more than anything. I know a lot of people are going to see it separate from having watched 'Agent Carter,' but it doesn't really change what was the intended audience. They went for adventure and import, as well as something that mostly pulled away from the fantastic elements of the concept. I have a feeling once they start releasing full trailers it will be queued more toward the actual tone of the film.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll see Ant-Man, sure. However, I'm not exactly looking forward to it.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Douglas' involvement has always made me uncharacteristicly hopeful for this movie. And after seeing the trailer it strengthened that hope for me. I liked what little glimpses we get. Specially the shot of Douglas walking into some sort of workshop (possibly secret? lol) I don't know why, but I love the idea of Pym and Lang in the same flick. Makes me think of Watchmen, the two Owls relationships.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer is indeed something that couldn't gather the people's attention however I am sure that I'll go see Ant-Man.

Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't a fan of the trailer it felt forced into a serious role. I personally love Paul Rudd as an actor but only when he is in his strongest element which is comedy. I don't understand how a character who has the power shrink to microscopic size and still punch people with the force of a normal man and communicate with ants can take himself so seriously, that is hilarious imagery to me which is right up Paul Rudd's alley. I really hope that this will be more of a comedy.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Mat more or less nailed how I felt about that to.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been to other websites that are NOT comic book related which also advertise this Ant-man Trailor and let me tell you most people are not interested for 1 of 3 main reasons.

1.) ANOTHER comic book movie? People are becoming agitated that every movie comming out is based on a comic book hero of some sort. They feel that its basically getting ridiculous and in this case its not even a character thats popular to the general public like Batman,SPider-man etc which brings me to my second point.

Who is Ant-man? Unless your a comic book fan chances are you dont know who this character is and even if you are a comicbook fan some of us think this is a bland character. Aquaman is more popular than this dude in my opinion. I have read comments on various websites like " Ant-man? Who are his villains, a Kid with a magnifying Glass or a Big Foot?" another comment was " What a lame hero, i can kill him with Raid or any other bug spray" i can go on and on but most people that arnt familar with him just think he is lame because of his name and his abilities which are underated in my opinion.

3.) Boring, This trailer does nothing to excite most people. it comes off as bland. In all honesty nothing about this looks mind blowing. People wont care for Ant-mans emotional struggles on screen unless you are a fan of the character.

Overall, i dont think every character deserves a movie or every story needs to be on the big screen. Marvel should have used a more "attractive" character and save this for an animated film or introduce him im an avengers movie.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is the total of what it made me feel, just
    this is the total of what it made me feel, just "meh"

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gracetrack

@zoddguts said:

The first Thor was pretty good. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2, however, were both pretty mediocre and forgettable, but I'd hardly call them "bad." Still, Marvel Studios has had a really good track record so far with the rest of their movies:

• Captain America 1 & 2
    • The Avengers
    • Thor
    • Iron Man 1 & 3
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • Guardians of the Galaxy

In my opinion, all of these movies range from either pretty good to great. Having a 0.800 batting average is excellent.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I still wish this movie was about Pym, but the trailer made me a little less skeptical

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If we get a scene where there's a close up of him punching someone's cheek when he's tiny in slow motion...then I'll be happy

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@themanintheshoe said:

If we get a scene where there's a close up of him punching someone's cheek when he's tiny in slow motion...then I'll be happy

Yeah, the test footage rocked. If they ended on a note like that or had it towards the end, I think it would of, well, packed more of a punch.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really excited for the film but that teaser, despite being cool to an extent, wasn't anything mind-blowing.

TheDarkPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people keep saying "trailer". It's a teaser trailer. The others were teasers of the teaser trailer. This isn't expected to do the film justice. There's nothing here but character shots and awkward, unexplained "meh" dialogue. These teasers are just to let us know that a) this movie is happening, and b) yes, we can animate shrinking. I have unfathomably high hopes for this film. I just feel like in this age, there's a lot to be done with a character who has these abilities. And a heist? Ant-Man stealing stuff? Awesome! Okay, it might not be Ant-Man doing the stealing, who knows, but basically I really think we should at least wait for the "trailer" with a peek into the plot and actual movie feel before we get bummed out. This idea has a lot of potential to be explored. If the GOTG can come out of nowhere and murder the box office, Ant-Man DEFINITELY has a chance.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The trailer failed for this movie.This will be a flop at the movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.