Follow

Angel

Character » Angel appears in 7429 issues.

A mutant and original member of the X-Men, Warren received his angelic wings at a young age along with a unique healing factor in his blood. After being twisted into a weapon of Apocalypse, Warren became the cold and distant Archangel. In the years since then, he's gone back and forth between his two identities.

Is UNCANNY X-FORCE's Archangel Headed For Comic Book Limbo?

• 66 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided

Big things are going down in Marvel's UNCANNY X-FORCE, and if you picked up issue #17 yesterday then you know that the events in the 'Dark Angel Saga' story arc are certainly coming to a head. Pair that with the two teasers we've seen from Marvel both yesterday and today, and we can speculate about what's soon to go down.

If you haven't been following, you've been missing out on one of the most exciting X-Men stories to come out of Marvel in a very long time. The series, which is being crafted by creative team Rick Remender and Jerome Opena has been absolutely brilliant. The story is, surprisingly, not as predictable as many that Marvel has been dishing out lately (FEAR ITSELF, anyone) and that's what's kept so many people hooked to the story.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

It was revealed in the beginning of the current X-FORCE series that Warren Worthington was finally able to alternate between Angel and Archangel at will; shifting into the metallic wings and blue skin that had originally been bestowed upon him by Apocalypse when Apoc promised Worthington his life, and tricked him into becoming his Horseman of Death. It was only with Psylocke's help and meditation that Warren was able to keep his dark persona in check, but gradually over the course of the series, Warren has seemingly lost all control of his sanity.

For those who haven't been keeping up (shame on you), Warren has fully succumbed to his dark side and has accepted that he is the new Apocalypse. After rounding up his new Horsemen, and (temporarily) brainwashing Psylocke and getting rid of most of X-Force, it seemed all was, well lost. The team, which primarily works in the shadows and outside the knowledge of the rest of the Marvel Universe, has been in a pretty tight spot the last few issues -- until issue #17 hit yesterday.

Now, with the help of the Age of Apocalypse X-Men (Jean Grey, Nightcrawler) they are back on their feet and it appears that they have a much better shot at taking out Archangel and his Horsemen. The question remains, is this the end of the line for Warren Worthington? Has he completely been stifled by the power of Apocalypse? After the end of issue #18, and the final part of The Dark Angel Saga, will Warren be thrust once more into comic book limbo?

Two teasers were released by Marvel both yesterday and today to promote issue #18 of UNCANNY X-FORCE, due to hit store shelves on December 7th. Yesterday was titled "You Are A Grave Disappointment" and showed what appeared to be Dark Beast blasting up and away from Archangel. Is this in reference to Archangel's failure in carrying out his duties as the heir of Apocalypse? Today's teaser, however, picks up where the final scene of yesterday's issue (UNCANNY X-FORCE #17) left off; where Psylocke and Fantomex are ready to take on Archangel. Unfortunately for Fantomex, however, it doesn't look like he'll be breathing for very long.

No Caption Provided

The best way to gauge whether or not a character will be sticking around is to look at the promotional images that Marvel has put out over the course of the last several months. Back in September we reported that the next phase of Marvel's X-Men universe will be X-Men: Regenisis, and that's when we saw a lot of promotional images for the books. By December, the current X-FORCE team will be no more as Wolverine and Archangel will both be missing from the roster, and the team will get a new member; Nightcrawler. After looking at all the teaser reveals, Warren Worthington is nowhere to be found, meaning that his demise is probably pretty likely. This is rather unfortunate, actually, considering the role he's had in the last few issues has been more prominent than any he's played since the Crimson Dawn mini-series. What do you think, though? Do you like Warren? Are you enjoying the part he's played in the current UNCANNY X-FORCE story line? Will you be sad to see him go?

I am still holding out hope for Warren. I hope he gets to stick around after issue #18 of UNCANNY X-FORCE, even if that means he's playing the bad guy. What do you think?

entee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By entee

It'll be so interesting to see what they end up doing to Archangel. Remender's been writing him so well, it would suck to just see him get replaced by AoA Nightcrawler.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#2  Edited By The Impersonator

Will you be sad to see him go?

I won't be sad to see him go. I would be really mad. YOU'RE A GRAVE DISAPPOINTMENT, MARVEL. NOT TO MENTION YOU CANCEL LOTS OF GOOD TITLES RECENTLY. WAY TO GO, MARVEL. WAY TO GO.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LordRequiem

I suppose Fantomex won't be dying as he appears in the Regenesis poster, and along with many characters Archangel will make like the dodo and slip from existence. Temporarily I hope.

Avatar image for nightwalkerrevan
    NightwalkerRevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NightwalkerRevan

I hope not, hopefully the result of the story is that (at least for now) the Angel persona will be lost so Warren will be only Archangel dark persona (but deprogrammed from the Apocalypse mindset persona he's exhibiting). This way he would no longer be the Warren he had been, and might be a reason he is unable to be a function member on any X-Men team. But he would remain in X-Force, and gives avenues to take the character in further dark directions.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

I don't think he's going to limbo...I think he's going to die...big difference....with what he's done I don't think there's any way for things to go back to normal

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#6  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@danhimself said:

I don't think he's going to limbo...I think he's going to die...big difference....with what he's done I don't think there's any way for things to go back to normal

QFT

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By HexThis

Damn you, Apocolypse! You wrestler-lookin' robot with lip-liner. Look what you've done!

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Bestostero

Nooooooo! He can't!!! I don't allow it! :(

The character has become so amazing lately for him to be thrown away now would just be lame...he most likely will in which case I just hope it won't be for long... in the meantime Psylocke needs to nip the Fantomex thing in the bud! lol

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#9  Edited By pspin

My guess is he dies or maybe goes to the AoA if their Nightcrawler is coming to the 616

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Bestostero

@pspin said:

My guess is he dies or maybe goes to the AoA if their Nightcrawler is coming to the 616

I got this feeling too, like in a attempt to atone perhaps...?

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey

Best title out there right now. The story has been great, the art has been great. The use of AOA has been great. The use of Deadpool as being a fun character to read and not get annoyed by has been great. (he's a badass again not just a clown). The surprise that Fantomex as a character that people wouldn't hate has been great. What's to say other then......................it's great.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By John Valentine

Redemption? Hmmmm, unlikely at this stage.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By moywar700

Death is overused plot

Just send out to a different dimension =p

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

It sucks, but Remender's probably going to kill him off. I love Archangel and Remender wrote him so well. This is so far my 2nd favorite Warren story right after Louise Simonson's X-Factor run.

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hitechlolife

I'd like to see him remain evil. He's become a great antagonist, probably the most convincing one the X-men have had in years. I'd like to see more X-men's reaction to his turn. Kieron Gillen is writing a UXM arc in Tabula Rasa, one can only hope Archangel turns up there.

Avatar image for nightwalkerrevan
    NightwalkerRevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NightwalkerRevan

@hitechlolife: He could become the new Apocalypse permanently (it would definitely be more interesting then just having En Sabah Nur coming back to life again). It would be interesting if as happened with Weapon X in AoA and Warren here, that Apocalypse remains a title/role that can be taken (or forced) on a new vessel rather then on person anymore. It can allow future Apocalypse to be killed permanently while allow future stories with Apocalypse to still happen, and it allows for radically different Apocalypse's to emerge.

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Man of Lengend

love Archangel easy one of my favorite X men. UXF is the best comic on shelves right now hands down.

Eivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eivion

Pretty sure Warren is dying. With everything that has happened its hard to imagine another result. Also just want to point out, but Wolverine is still leading X-Force. He is in fututre covers. He just wasn't on the X-Force part of the Regeneris picture because he was already centered in on the Wolverine and the X-men part.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

really dont miss him. i like the team more without him. he did not really fit in in my opinion

Radiate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Radiate

(Disclaimer: long time lurker, new member, first post!)

I hope Warren doesn't die. He's my fav. X-Men character by far. It almost seems TOO obvious to kill him, and considering Remender's X-Force has been based on the unpredictable, killing him would be predictable. I dunno what crazy plans Remender has for Warren but putting him 6 feet under seems too much of a cop out!

RADIATE!

Mattwms0511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mattwms0511

this would be a travesty if they killed him off, in the last two years or so i started picking up comics again, and I can honestly say that not a single chapter has let me down. like archangel as a major villian is awesome, if they were to stick to their own "comic-logic" if that makes senseto anyone,it would cause the uprise of the test tube Apocalypse (he cant just sit there for decoration) or Psylocke as the new Death would have to ascend(but im sure that will be recanted sooner or later). Also the great thing I can remember from most Horseman, both past and present is few have shake the "other" persona (the ones that come to mind are Hulk and/or Wolverine,and Polarius the rest retained their Horseman persona such as Gamit,Angel obviously and couple more). Also Archangel/Apocalypse could expose them (X-force). I think he does more good (for the story sake) alive.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By GothamRed

Don't worry, angel will come back if he goes to limbo, limbo residents make great crossover-fodder, just bring them back to show how strong the villain is, bishido, panthra and wildebeast found that out.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Remender has been writing him well, I guess I don't know how else the arc would end if they didn't kill him, I think a lot of times comic deaths are overused and a common plot device that is used when the writer doesn't know what to do (Marvel especially) however Archangel's death in this case to me would be fitting. Remender has weaved an awesome story, and tho I will be sad to see Archangel die, I think it was a damn good story that they were doing it in, unlike the recent (un)death of Bucky and Thor in Fear Itself. I'm afraid if they don't kill him it'd be a cheesy "hey we saved him, its all okay now" story.

Its weird when you look at the history of comics, in the past like the 60s, 70s, and 80s when it looked like a character was going to die there was some random device or idea that came out of nowhere to save the day and the hero triumphed when it looked like there was no hope at all, no matter how crappy or cheesy the plot device was. Now it seems to be the complete opposite these days, they write the heroes death into every story arc or crossover conclusion just to make it "epic," no matter how dumb or pointless it is. But that aside, I think in this situation, it is one of the few times recently that it would actually be a good or fitting end to the storyline to have Archangel die, even tho I will miss him.

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25  Edited By caladbolglight

I think that Archangel will die...maybe. I don't think he'll be a good guy regardless for quite a while yet. I'm just more concerned what they're going to do with the sheer mass of characters: Jean Grey, Sunfire, Sabretooth, Wild Child, Iceman, Ozymandias, Genocide, War, Deathlok, Pestilence, Famine (apparently Wolverine didn't kill him), not to mention how Deadpool is going to come back from the dead (it's obvious considering that it's Deadpool). I'm actually really looking forward to the Age of Apocalypse mini-series, though I wonder who will be featured. As far as we know the rest of the AoA X-Men are did given that they didn't transfer over to 616 (Magneto, Silver Samurai, Rogue).

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Darkmount1

I'd rather they finally take the Archangel out of him and let him be regular ol' Angel again. He needs a break from the dark and doom and gloom.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I like Warren's character, but by all these subtle hints we keep receiving, I think its a fair assumption to think he's gonna be in comic limbo once again just like he was in the 90s. Very sad. At the very least maybe he find redemption in AoA or somewhere else.

RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RareCheshire

Is Angel gonna be the next Phoenix? Dark Angel Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga? Let's hope not!

Mattwms0511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mattwms0511

i think the edge is need for angel/archangel/apocalypse, back in the day he was kinda in the category for me of like aquaman,some character just need that edge

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

I already had to deal with a 4-year absence of Angel from comics not to long ago. I'll be beyond pissed if they do it again.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wattup

Archangel is my favourite X-Man and I even like him more now that he's eeeeevil! He's got a unique bad guy vibe that I've never seen before, like when his minions apologize for failing himi and he's understanding and kind to them. It's freaky! 8 )

I think I'd like him to remain a bad guy if he doesn't die. I think it would continue Psylocke's story as well as you know she'll hook up with Fantomex soon but she'll always have doubts, etc.

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By abeyance

I say let him prevail with finishing what Apocalypse started and let the AoA become the mainstream marvel universe. This whole good always triumphs over evil has made comics too predictable.

punkpuppy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By punkpuppy3

I really don't care much for his character so I'm not devastated by this

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By JonesDeini

I really hated the reemergence of Arch Angel, I felt it set back about a decade of character growth for Warren. If he's out of the pic until a writer can do something to progress the character again that's fine by me.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#35  Edited By Teerack

I think it's really clear there going to kill him, but I will miss him. Arch Angel was always one of the coolest X-Men. 

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By difficlus

@RareCheshire said:

Is Angel gonna be the next Phoenix? Dark Angel Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga? Let's hope not!

lol

demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By demifiend

archangel i love you!!

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

Well, considering that death is as serious and permanent a condition in the Marvel universe as flu, I highly doubt that this will be the last we see of Warren whether he makes it or not. Personally, I think he's toast, but I also suspect that he'll return sooner or later.

I like Warren, but I also think that he's never been more interesting than now that he became consumed by his Death persona. I've always found that he's sort of lacked a purpose as a character when he isn't battling with his darker side. Him becoming the new Apocalypse is the greatest and most memorable story that's ever focused on him. I'm not sure how interesting he'd be if he recovered from this (or, alternarively, remained as Death and became a regular foe for the X-Force - that'll be sort of an unsatisfying end to the story, I think).

Judging on the promotional material and the general state of the plot, I find it extremely likely that the story will end with his demise, and I'm kind of OK with that because it does feel like a sensible ending to the awesome arc. The main reason I'm holding out hope that something else happens instead is because right now Warren's death seems obvious. I'm always looking forward to be surprised.

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By GBrutality

angel has always been one of those "eh" characters to me. this step toward actually becoming apocalypse seems like it's something that should stick because it's a fantastic idea, plain and simple. regular old apocalypse has been overdone, and warren actually has gotten pretty damn far to his goal. i think he should just be apocalypse. it carries way more weight as one of the original x-men becoming one of the most powerful beings, let alone enemies of the x-men. at least i hope that's the final outcome to all of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1
    deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NightwalkerRevan said:

@hitechlolife: He could become the new Apocalypse permanently (it would definitely be more interesting then just having En Sabah Nur coming back to life again). It would be interesting if as happened with Weapon X in AoA and Warren here, that Apocalypse remains a title/role that can be taken (or forced) on a new vessel rather then on person anymore. It can allow future Apocalypse to be killed permanently while allow future stories with Apocalypse to still happen, and it allows for radically different Apocalypse's to emerge.

I agree and wish, but back when the were time hopping to find hope and cable they show A.S.N. like a thousand years later so he'll be back maybe next year this time...hopefully not even that soon

well, if the hulk can just separate from banner (sure theres a story there but for now thats not even finished being written yet)

I'll guess there will be a division of dark angel from warren, I'm guessing (optomistically) they'll bring back classic angel. But...

If you read the latest x-force and you know you did, I think he's about to get axed. notice how Charles said to warren in his flashback that his power wasn't special but his character was? And he said something (I believe) about some big point in his life where he'll leave a great mark on the world with his couragous-self or whatever crap? well that sounded like the last few steps up the mountain to a climax of warrens life which will no doubt roll down hill alot faster seeing as how we all safe to say, dig archangel. Also, they can keep that nightcrawler he's going to be too dark and brooding,and isnt there enough of that marvel...really? , he's not THE nightcrawler, the lovable god fearing elf with an unshakable happiness and robinson crusoe crush... so anyway yeah warrens already dead it just hasnt been inked yet

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fascism

I like him but this UXF story has been so good that if it means he needs to go into "limbo" okay. Im fine with that. Its been awhile since i've acutally anticipated a new issue of a marvel book, let alone an xmen title but UXF is just tying so many things together that im really enjoying it so far.

micangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By micangel

I hope not. Warren/Angel/Archangel is my favorite x-man. Marvel has been so trigger happy the last ten years killing off major players, especially x-men (Banshee, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, a ton of New X-Men Academy) that another death at this point seems the least original idea.

ethanrjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ethanrjc

here's an idea: we all know that at the end of this, nightcrawler and at least one other character is leaving the AoA and coming into the 616 universe.... What if the only way to get rid Apocalypse Archangel and not have to murder him (putting him in comic limbo) is to leave Archangel trapped in the AoA!!!

Then we could still see Archangel in the ongoing Age of Apocalypse comic that begins right out of uncanny x-force 19.1.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jubilee042

@HexThis said:

Damn you, Apocolypse! You wrestler-lookin' robot with lip-liner. Look what you've done!

this

rudorudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rudorudo

Marvel should go ahead and pull off another Shadowland-Daredevil lol.

I figured since they're reforming the Defenders - they should have a mutant representative and who better to represent the muties than traditional Angel. He'd fit right in.

Well i guess they Namor but c'mon Wingedfeet ain't a real mutant.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Warren is a nothing character, him disappearing is only a good thing.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ragdollpurps

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

He's great as a villain though. Remender has made him far more interesting than he has ever been.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ragdollpurps said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

He's great as a villain though. Remender has made him far more interesting than he has ever been.

Well I haven't been reading, so I wouldn't know =P
    ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ragdollpurps

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Well I haven't been reading, so I wouldn't know =P

For shame. xP

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

Awesome Archangel! I agree that Archangel is like Aquaman with they having a bad reputation of being sucky, but both are awesome characters and Archangel should not be sent to comic book limbo!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.